Please give some instruction for newbie

NickBose

Enlightened
Hi

I want to build a LED area light (180o or 360o viewing). But I'm a total idiot about circuits and soldering (I don't have a soldering iron and never soldered anything), so I hope to get some plain english instruction for my first project.

So let say I'm going to buy these superflux LED - they come with free resistors (my understanding is: since the LEDs use 5V, if I need to hook them up to a 12V source I have to put the resistors in, is that correct?)

- How many lumens do you think I'd expect from 50 of these superflux LED? How many mA they will draw? How long would a 12V 6Ah SLA battery last?

- What are the other parts that I need to operate all these 50 LEDs from a 12V DC source? only a PCB or anything else? Where can I buy one that fits 50 superflux LED?

- What should I do next? Is this OK for soldering LED? Can this solder be used to solder LED?

Other links to basic instructions and tutorials on DIY LED-related will be very helpful too.

Nick

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
Hi Nick,

Is there a junior college with night classes near your location? The reason I ask is that I've been a ham radio operator for 40 years and an electrical engineer for 30, and I'm still hesitant about DIY projects on the current generation of lights. The circuits, particularly the surface mount stuff, are small and delicate. It's real easy to cook them to death. A good short course in electronics assembly would answer your questions, plus the instructor would probably give you some one-on-one help with your project(s).

NickBose said:
Hi

I want to build a LED area light (180o or 360o viewing). But I'm a total idiot about circuits and soldering (I don't have a soldering iron and never soldered anything), so I hope to get some plain english instruction for my first project.

So let say I'm going to buy these superflux LED - they come with free resistors (my understanding is: since the LEDs use 5V, if I need to hook them up to a 12V source I have to put the resistors in, is that correct?)

- How many lumens do you think I'd expect from 50 of these superflux LED? How many mA they will draw? How long would a 12V 6Ah SLA battery last?

- What are the other parts that I need to operate all these 50 LEDs from a 12V DC source? only a PCB or anything else? Where can I buy one that fits 50 superflux LED?

- What should I do next? Is this OK for soldering LED? Can this solder be used to solder LED?

Other links to basic instructions and tutorials on DIY LED-related will be very helpful too.

Nick

The most difficult thing is going to be placing LEDs in a spherical shape. You need to find a plastic, hollow sphere about the size of a softball, then manually make a set of hole for each LED and push them through.