Mini-Mag - Exotic Wood head and body

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this mini lathe and somtimes I will try different types of looks for the Mini-Mag. I wanted horizontal grooves. I attached a Dremel tool to the tool post and attempted cut grooves. The Dremel may be good for some things, but not this. The carbide cutter would dig in and chatter, the stones, even with cutting oil would just wear away. I ended up with this,

head.jpg

Just did not look right. So - back to the lathe I went. I have some purpleheart wood here and I thought - let me try something a little different. During one of the cuts on the lathe the head came loose and did some damage to the knurling around the head.

Some epoxy glue to hold the halfs together on the turned down head and body and I ended up with this.

wood-1.jpg

second time is a charm. Zebra Wood....
( notice the purple heart is changing color )
zebra.jpg

Last edited:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mini-Mag Wooden

Looks nice (grinding stones shouldn't be used on non ferrous metals they get caught up in the surface and get hot and fly apart iirc) Are you taking orders?:grin2:

Chris

RickyT

Newly Enlightened

That does look good, those colors compliment each other nicely.

For photos if you don't have any editing software checkout GIMP. It's free and you can do quite a bit with it.

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Will,

Awesome look, I was wondering what could be done to the good'o minimag when the title say 'wooden' and this new look is really classy. Make one think of the eveready flashlight made a many decades ago(which they actually had part wooden handle)... :thumbsup:

dragoman

Enlightened

Looks great....I would be in for one if you ever decide to do a run....

dragoman

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a piece of zebra wood that is just sitting around, and a silver mini. Now that I did the first one I am going to try another.

The purpleheart wood is supposed to oxidize to a rich purple color after a few days. The piece this was made from is purple in color. When it is machined is starts brown. I will most likely put a finish on it then, it is just sanded smooth right now.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

RickyT said:
That does look good, those colors compliment each other nicely.

For photos if you don't have any editing software checkout GIMP. It's free and you can do quite a bit with it.

I have the Kodak easy share software. the pics are edited to smaller than a 4x6. I will have to fool around with one and see what gives

cnjl3

Enlightened
Re: Mini-Mag, Wooden covering

Just "edit" your posts. when you scroll down to your picture you will
notice two little blocks to the right of the picture near the color full icons on the right side- just put your mouse on the top square and click your mouse but hold it and drag it to the left so the picture is inside the white window you are typing in. by moving it left or right or up and down you can control the image:)

BTW i really like your wooden MM:)

CYL

gl22man

Enlightened

nice little mod. oh try using this pic. i resized it using jasc paint shop photo
Mike..

magmodwood.jpg

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now - If someone out there can tell me how to fix the size of PhotoBucket pictures I would certainly appreciate that

Will,

I'm glad to see someone besides me using photobucket! I can't stand the pop-ups that come along with imagshack!

Anyway I use a program called "MIR.net". It's a free program that allows you to re-size, crop, add text, add borders, rotate and flip pictures. The cool thing is you can process more than one image at a time! I highly recommend it and please pass on the word about photobucket here at CPF. Say no to pop-ups!

BTW you can download MIR.NET from HERE.

Later,
MM

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

now if someone manage to make a minimag out of wood... and of course, it must work.

that will be WAYYYYY cool.

greenLED

Flashaholic

That's really pretty, will! That's definitely something more than "a little different".

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

The first needed a friend - Zebra Wood on a silver Mini-Mag

zebra.jpg

Thanks to the answers to the size problem - Photobucket has an edit function which allows a size reduction.

I am not sure at this time if I will do any more of these - It is very time consuming to fit every thing together. These are not done like the wooden pens you see. I have to keep the barrel and head together, that requires the wood to be split, bored through, and then epoxied to the maglite pieces. Once the epoxy is set the pieces get turned down, sanded and then finished.

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a suggestion to use Bird's Eye Maple for the third one. I might do one more. I have some maple here, but now I don't know what color host to use.

suggestions?

Bird's Eye Maple finishes to an amber color, I don't stain the wood.