an ideal dog walking light

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every night I walk my dog a couple of times. It's the highlight of his day. I need a bright, eye catching flashlight more to alert oncoming cars to our presence than to actually see where I'm going. Our suburban neighborhood is fairly dark due to lots of trees and subdued streetlights. And we have lots of newbie teenage drivers speeding and not really paying attention like they should. I can't tell you how many times I've almost been sideswiped when I first moved here last year.

And I've almost sideswiped others with my car while they were walking their dog's in dark clothes and using cheap weak flashlights that no one could see.

So, after the first week of nearly being run over 5 times, I began using my 6P with beamshaper to walk the dog. This really gets their attention, a quick three or four flashes at their hood and they always give us ample room. It's amazing.

This got really expensive since we take 30 to 60 minute walks, and I was burning thru 123's like crazy. So I jumped on the ASPI sale when I saw it and picked up an 8X and a 9P. The 8X is my first rechargable good light (I didn't know about the B90 problem or even about CPF at the time, I was on ASPI's mailing list from a previous purchase of 123's, spares carrier and other stuff).

Anyway, the 8X, with a freshly recharged battery each night and a flip open beamshaper (a must have accessory that greatly enhances the functionality of the light IMHO) works perfectly. It allows an underhanded left hand carry with the ability to turn it on and off one handed, and you can go from perfectly focused spot to flood in an instant one handed. It can still be used tactically with the momentary end cap switch.

However, when cars are coming from behind, I have to flip the light around in my hand or over my shoulder to flash them a few times and be seen and avoid getting hit from behind. I'll tell you, this light really gets their attention, half of them turn off their high beams thinking I'm a car or motorcycle flashing my high beams at them.

Anyway....sorry to ramble so much.... the perfect dog walking light for my kind of neighborhood would be an 8X type light with two heads, one in the rear, and two switches side by side near the front head to allow for an underhanded carry and the ability to flash one or both beams, or keep the front one on and flash the back one when needed.

For now, I sometimes use a velcro strap and attach my 6P backwards onto the body of the 8X. Works good...looks dumb...doesn't slip into my back pocket nicely that way either.

So, who makes this perfect dog walking flashlight? Any thoughts on my idea before I try to build it?

BTW, if your B90 craps out before the end of the walk, an ARC AAA turquoise backup really gets their attention and they give you room to walk. I think they must think I'm a Borg or something when I zap them in the face with it. I've even strapped the turquoise AAA backwards to the body of the 8X with a velcro strap too, but again...looks dumb...doesn't slide in and out of my back pocket nicely.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Would some kind of a traffic cone on the light head provide enough "hello, I'm here!!" ??

I have noticed that everytime I have a cyan light out in public, folks look because it is not a color of light that is easily filed away on auto pilot recognition, if you know what I mean.

Are you and your dog equipped with any reflective material?

- Don

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing is to get a red LED flasher to clip to your belt. Emerson makes one that flashes or stays on full brightness that use 18 LEDs. I use one on the back of my bike and with 4 AA batterys... I am always seen and cars change lanes so they don't have to look at the retina attack. $14 at this website http://www.wavehunter.com/safetyfl.htm

Maybe get a 5 watt Cyan side emitter Luxeon Star outfitted to be used with 5 D cell NiMH batteries. Should give you a long life and the ability to focus the beam. I think Wayne at Electrolumens may be able to hook you up with that one. Even the 1.25 watt Cyan Luxeon powered beast in a 3D Maglight maybe able to do the deed. I hear they will illuminate a street sign 400 yards away in the dark. Just a thought
smile.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about some glow in the dark paint? Apply some on your dog collar, maybe some on some stuff you carry, charge it up at home, and you are good for hours after hours of light.

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
Didn't McGizmo make a two headed light going in opposite directions? My father-in-law actually wheres a vest with leds on it walking busy streets at night. You can see him a country mile.

StreamChucker

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recomend getting several safety lights at www.thedealsite.com for $2.50 each. Use the strap provided to strap them to the back of your arm. Maybe even put one on the dog. Runs 5 red LED's on 2 AA's for "200" hrs (maybe 100??) in steady ON or several flashing modes. TX

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm....lots of good ideas.

I would probably get arrested walking down my street with a traffic cone though, it's not that rural here. And I agree, that turquoise/cyan color is a wake up call, I know what you mean. I probably should wear my sneakers with reflective material on them.

A red flasher wouldn't do much for my image in the neighborhood, it's not common around here other than on bicycles. A steady red might work. A big cyan emitter would be cool, but to much to lug around.

Glow in the dark paint couldn't hurt, but these kids won't see it in time.

One of those straps on the dog in steady on might be a good idea.

I really want a two headed 8 or 9 series size flashlight. I saw some cool looking Medusa lights on McGizmo's site. I want two high lumen lamps though. At least a p60 in the back and a p80 in the front, and rechargable, with dual push button switches.

Thanks for all the input....who wants to build it?

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Er..uh....I guess I'll have to build it myself...without any good shop tools....lets see....hammer....drill...dremel...circular saw....sockets...wrenches....hellllpppp:)

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
stingray,
As I said in my post, the safety lights have an ON mode (steady on). They don't have to flash. TX

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll try a few and see what happens....do they come in cyan?
smile.gif
thanks

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note: when walking IN the street, you are supposed to be on the side FACING oncoming traffic. If there are sidewalks, you are supposed to be on the sidewalk. Something that city slickers rarely pay attention to, and usually don't know.

I bring this up for safety purposes only.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
stingray,
The ones I mentioned, to my knowledge, only come in red. Very inexpensive & may still have his CPF $4 off thing still going. TX

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
Note: when walking IN the street, you are supposed to be on the side FACING oncoming traffic. If there are sidewalks, you are supposed to be on the sidewalk. Something that city slickers rarely pay attention to, and usually don't know.

I bring this up for safety purposes only.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I know this and it makes perfect sense to me, in fact I was just talking about that with my neighbor who has a brand new puppy.

But...my dog is 13 yrs old and has always walked on my right side his whole life. It made no difference, in fact it was better that way, in our old neighborhood because we always walked on the sidewalks. But our new neighborhood has no sidewalks, and I can't seem to retrain him to walk on my left, not for lack of trying though.

Brody

Newly Enlightened
Another way to be seen is to use something like cosmic spaghetti. It is a side emitting fiber optic light. One place you can buy this is at www.glosticks.com/speghetti_1.htm
It is available in various colors and can be set to be either steady on, or flashing. If you use it with rechargeable AA batteries, it can work to help protect you or your dog

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stingray,

Sorry for the short post, but I also walk my dog every night, and use my flashlights nightly, also.

Do searches here for lighted dog collars. We have several in depth threads here, and one of the manufactures joined in on the discussions.

So I would recommend a lighted/reflected dog collar and possibly leash also.

I have 3 Princeton Tec attitude's mounted to my retractable dog leash, and I REALLY like this, but If I had to do it again, I would purchase 3 Streamlight Clipmates, and detach the clip and use them instead.

While I do not own one of these, my friend does, and I think it is an excellent light for walking the dog, esp when one hand is holding a leash, and that is the Streamlight Stinger HP XT
strxthp.jpg

Very bright (40,000 cp), and very white, for an incandecent light. Rechargable, so every night your light will be fully charged and ready to go.

While more expensive, (92.95 at www.brightguy.com), it will become very economical when using it every night, and has a lifetime warrantee. Also, it is relatively small and lightweight.

The XT version has a tailcap on or switch, which is very nice when holding a leash in one hand it is easier and quicker to flash someone with the Tailcap version.

When I walk my dog in the fields, (leash off) I use a Mr/ Bulk LGI in one hand, and a Bright Incandecent in the other hand. The LED is "Always on", and the incandecent (a Brinkmann Legend LX modified with a SureFire p61 HOLA) for momentary on/off for when I need a bit of noon time sun to see what my little girl is getting into!

Let us know what you decide.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, almost forgot.

Get a Princeton Tec Aurora and wear it backwards so that you can be seen from the rear. Has fast and slow blinking mode also. Very lightweight.

Maybe one could be modified to fit your dog's collar.

LoneRebel

Enlightened
dangee, we had one of those cats too. Everyday my parents would walk their dog and sometimes the cat would tag along. The neighbors really got a kick out of seeing a dog and cat of their own free will walking with my parents around the neighborhood.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I walk in very dark areas and have given up carrying anything but a small light if I need to see something. "We didn't see you" was the comment from the one person on the route that I see on a regular occasion.
I rely on *me* to avoid them.
I also have some experience wearing yellow clothes and carrying a sign while standing beside a big red truck and they still don't see you.
Now I just try to be on the other side of the road from traffic if there's one and facing if it's the rare two way.
Walking with traffic and the dog on the right means you trip over the dog if you have time to move. It's dangerous.

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
Note: when walking IN the street, you are supposed to be on the side FACING oncoming traffic.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Too true. I don't think they teach that in elementary school anymore. We learned that in am "Officer Friendly" type presentation years ago.

As far as walking lights, I have a 2D model from Radio Shack with a lime green cone on it. If a car approaches I shine it straight down on the pavement so that the color is readily seen. I have had police cars pass by and they don't seem to have an issue with it. I think that they would be more concerned with someone shining a bright light at oncoming traffic.

Chris