Foxfury Scout
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Cheap LED Flashlight

Default Best Cheap LED Flashlight

First of all, hello! I've always been very interested in electronics and after buying so many bulky, dim flashlights that go through batteries like nothing, I've decided to consult the Pros (that would be you ) and get a nice, compact, LED flashlight.

I've been looking around on eBay lately as they seem to have the best deals. I've found SO many different kinds, ranging from 12 LED to 100 LED lights. The 100 LED lights seem very appealing because I would think that the more LEDs you have = more light. But I also know that, since not every seller lists the MCDs of their LEDs... I could be getting poor LEDs in my flashlight.

I would TRULY appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of an around $15 (with shipping) LED flashlight on eBay, preferably the brightest one that I can get for that money.
    I really appreciate any help you would be willing to give me. It seems like you have a great community here!

Default Re: Best Cheap LED Flashlight

Welcome to CPF!

For $10 at Target, the River Rock 2AAA 0.5w is a great choice. The tint is very bluish, though.

For $20 at Target, the Inova X1 is surprisingly bright and has fantastic runtime. One of my favorites. An alternative is the $13 Inova Radiant 2AAA which I'm told has the same kind of output as the X1 in a butt-ugly package.

For $35 online at Fenix-Store.com, the Fenix L1P is an even better, and brighter choice. The L1P was voted "Flashlight of 2005" here because it is an amazing value for the price.

They all use common alkaline batteries.

Most of the lights you can get around $15 on eBay tend not to be that great...
    Last edited by carrot; 07-30-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Hi there, CattyKid, and a big welcome to CPF!

First, I would suggest that you stay away from eBay. There's usually a pretty poor probability of getting something worthwhile. Also, LED arrays are on their way out (not that they were ever really IN in the first place...). You would be better off with a single 5mm LED for reasonable brightness with fantastic runtime or some sort of Luxeon for huge brightness and decent runtime.

Here are my recommendations:

1. The Inova Radiant in AAA ($10), AA ($15), or C ($20). It's a durable light for a reasonable price. Available at your local Fry's or Target.
    2. The Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon (make sure it's the Luxeon!). It has a great 1W Luxeon, very white spot, and excellently focused. It's a big favorite here on CPF. It's around $30-35 online, though (try www.fox-intl.com or www.brightguy.com).
    3. If you want to spend a little more than that, try a Fenix (any model) for around $45 at www.fenix-store.com (free shipping!).

For a ton of informative, concise reviews, go to www.flashlightreviews.com, run by CPF member Quickbeam. He's usually right on the money!

(Carrot already replied while I was editing. He's quick! )

Streamlight Tasklight 1AA or 2AA can be found online for $13 and $15 respectively and They are great lights for the money. The 25 lumen 2AA has good throw from a 1/2W LED and the 1AA makes very good use of one 5mm LED. Both have two stage switches (high and low), a flash mode, and long run times on both high and low (50-80 hours claimed on low). Though I have not been able to test that claim, they are still on original batteries and I felt good enough about the 2AA to give it to my dad for Father's day. The 1AA I kept for myself for camping and around the house use. I have posted a couple of more extensive reviews, one in the review thread for these lights.

The Inova X1 is another good light for $20. Tough as nails.

If you already have a MiniMag, treat yourself to a NiteIze LED upgrade for less than $10. Still less than ~$18 even if you have to buy a MiniMag.

Sears craftsman has some decent 1W LED lights for ~$20, on sale for ~$15 every once in a while.

Stay away from the ebay lights - 90% are a waste of money compared to readily available lights with actual quality.

First of all, thanks for being so nice to an admitted "n00b." It's rare to find a forum where the members are as nice to new members as you guys are!

Secondly, wow! That was FAST! I really appreciate the replies! Thanks for steering me away from eBay... I thought those were good lights. If you guys hadn't advised me to go elsewhere, I definitely would have bought from there. Guess I kind of "dodged a bullet?" :P

I'll be looking through the flashlights that you have recommended. The Felix Lights DO look very good.
    Of all the Fenix lights listed here: http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22, since they are all about the same price, which one do you feel is the best? Do you believe the L1P is still the best?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Wow, in the meantime I got ANOTHER reply! you guys are great!

I like Fenix. Although the only active one I have is the L2T (it rides on my belt all day, but the P1 has its batts on the way), I have looked into their other lights. The L1T and L2T are dual-level and use 1 and 2 AAs, respectively, and they're very regulated with NiMHs, especially the L2T. The L1P and L2P are basically the same as the Ts, but have only one level. The L0P runs on a single AAA cell, and is very slim. The E1 doesn't use a Luxeon, but is probably a decent light, especially for fenix-store's $23.99. The P1 is extremely tiny and uses a single CR123A cell, but is almost as bright as the L2T on high or the L2P. I plan on modding mine with a resistor from digikey.com to make it a two-stage light (two brightness levels).

With regards to the Fenix series:

It depends on what you're looking for in a light. If you're looking for a small but powerful pocket light I would recommend the L1P or L1T. The only real difference between the L1P and L1T is price and the L1T has two light levels, with the corresponding runtime "bonus" on low. If you want to save some money, the Civictor V1 is nice too, but I prefer the clickie tailcap on the Fenix L1P/L1T.

If you don't mind using CR123A lithium cells ($1 each from Amondotech.com or Batterystation.com/cpf.htm) the P1 is a fantastic choice.

If you're in need of longer runtimes, and length isn't too much of an issue for you, get an L2P or L2T. L2T has two light levels, L2P does not. They're also brighter than their single-celled counterparts.

Unless you're looking for a tiny keychain light, I'd recommend to steer clear of the L0P and E1. They are nice, but runtime and output suffer from using the lower capacity AAA cells instead of the larger AA cells. I like the Fenix E1 for its longer runtime over the L0P, but it has a bluish tint in comparison, which may irk some. Not me, though. The Fenix E1 goes on my keychain and I carry the L1P along with some other expensive light(s) usually. The only reason I have an L1P over an L1T is because the L1P was the only one available when I bought mine... and I don't feel like upgrading.

I have tried out all of the Fenix lights, and my overall favorites are the L2T and P1. Nothing wrong with any of the others though. L1T is a great light if you're willing to pay the $45, but the L1P is no slouch either for $37.
    Last edited by carrot; 07-30-2006 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carrot
    ...my overall favorites are the L2T and P1. Nothing wrong with any of the others though. L1T is a great light if you're willing to pay the $45, but the L1P is no slouch either for $37.
    Totally, carrot. The L2T and the P1 are the only Fenix lights I own, and I wouldn't trade them for any other model. The L2T is bright (or dim!) and versatile, and the P1 is TINY and bright. These two will probably be my EDC together once the P1's cells and resistors arrive. I already carry the L2T in the included sheath, and I can hardly tell it's there sometimes. It's a lot smaller and lighter than my ProPoly 4AA (it doesn't quite have the same throw, though).

By the way, CattyKid, I would recommend starting a sigline and getting an avatar. With a sigline, you can make a witty comment and/or list your lights for other CPFers to ogle, and a unique avatar can make it a lot easier to find your posts in a long thread.

If you drop an eBay light & it breaks you will NOT get a new one! Streamlight has a NO HASSLE lifetime warranty. I broke a 10+ year old SL Stinger. I sent it to SL & they fixed it for free, no questions asked. For $15 shipped i would opt for the STREAMLIGHT Task-Light 1AA: http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=870 Fox is a well respected seller here on CPF.
    Primary duty lights: (metal) Elektrolumens Pentalux 4C; (polymer) Pelican M8 LED; (hybrid) StreamLight 3C-XP
    Searchlight: AE PowerLight PL14
    Back-up mini lights: Nuwai TM301X-5, X-3, X-1
    Special LED signaling lights: Torfino ICE light, Inova 24/7, Adventurelights VIP

NYPD flag, adopted in 1919

I also agree with blindasabat, that if you already have a old minimag collecting dust, just go to Walmart & buy the nite-ize 3LED bulb for ~$4. It is very bright for a 3LED!
    Primary duty lights: (metal) Elektrolumens Pentalux 4C; (polymer) Pelican M8 LED; (hybrid) StreamLight 3C-XP
    Searchlight: AE PowerLight PL14
    Back-up mini lights: Nuwai TM301X-5, X-3, X-1
    Special LED signaling lights: Torfino ICE light, Inova 24/7, Adventurelights VIP

NYPD flag, adopted in 1919

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

Another option is the Ultrafire 602A. This light is a clone of the Fenix L1P. The Fenix L1P is a better light, but it only costs $19,99 (including shipping) when you order it from CPF Member Dae's website http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ult...f19b136b244afa

So what are the differences?
    The 602A has Type II anodizing, the L1P has Type III or hard anodizing. This makes the L1P more scratch resistant than the 602A.
    The 602A has a plastic lens, the L1P has a glass lens. This makes the L1P more scratch resistant and a bit more efficient than the 602A as there is less light loss. The lights are equally bright, but the L1P has slightly better runtime. The 602A has one other advantage, it's not glued shut, so you can easily open it up if you ever want to mod it.
    I have both lights, they are both excellent choices. The L1P is built a bit better, but is almost twice as expensive.
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Quote Originally Posted by john2551
    I also agree with blindasabat, that if you already have a old minimag collecting dust, just go to Walmart & buy the nite-ize 3LED bulb for ~$4. It is very bright for a 3LED!
    Oh, but what a boring upgrade. Useful though. I gave one to my dad and kept one for myself. He loves it! I consider the "upgraded" Nite-Ize Mag to be a good emergency light. Not very bright, but bright enough.

Wal-mart has the Dorcy single led pocket light.Runs on 1-aaa cell,cost about $6. Try to find the model that has a reflector,and not the newer model that has a fish-eye lens.Some of the older reflector type might be mixed in with the others.At this price its a good deal.

Flashaholic

Then there's the Dorcy Super 1 Watt at Target for $19.99...or the Nuwai Q-III for about $30 (here : http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93397 ) ...and then the Pelican M1 from Sierra Trading Post, right now at the screamin' deal price of $10 with the coupon codes.....and shipping is only 20 cents ! see this post : http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...hlight=Pelican
    All are very good budget choices !

-Regards

Welcome to CPF.

You get what you pay for. Beware the cheapest multi-LED lights on eBay. Get a good one and you are happy. Get a bad one... Usually a bad clicky switch or the LEDs start burning out 1 by 1.

Pocketable INEXPENSIVE lights:
    Dorcy AAA. $6 at Wallmart USA. $10 elsewhere.
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_aaa.htm
    Nuwai TM310H. 1AAA. $10 from the dealers forum. Recent units are about twice as bright as the Dorcy. The 2AAA TM311H is the same as the Fiver Rock 2AAA.
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...m-310h_aaa.htm
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93397
    Fenix E1. 1AAA. $24 at the Fenix-store. This one has a slightly weird beam pattern.
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e1.htm
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127162
    Civictor V1. 1AA. $30 at the fenix-store. A simpler version of the L1P which was voted best flashlight of the year 2005. No AR coating, no pushbutton switch, shorter, a little less money.
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ivictor_v1.htm
    http://fenix-store.com/

Bigger INEXPENSIVE lights:
    Buy a SMJLED PR bulb and install in any 2AA/2C/2D flashlight that takes a PR2 base replacement bulb. $9+cost of host flashlight.
    http://www.lighthound.com/sales/mag_...ccessories.htm
    I do not have this one but the Streamlight propolymer 4AA luxeon took 2nd spot in the voting for best flashlight of the year 2005. $32
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev..._4aa_xenon.htm

7x7mm From Dae. 3AAA. $9. The 7 or 8mm LEDs are many times brighter than normal 5mm LEDs and the fewer # of LEDs mean a smaller head. Also there is a front window protecting the LEDs from the rain . The 7x7mm is slightly brighter than the 21 LED in LED_museum's tests. My earlier comments on build quality apply here as well.
    http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/third/7mmflite.htm
    http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/third/mu21.htm
    http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/7-l...-v4-p-366.html
    http://www.pocketlights.com/propolymer4aa_luxeon.asp

Note also that multi-LED lights have no throw. They generate a lot of light but only close by. To reach out to 50 feet or more you need a 1 watt or 3 watt LED in a reflector such as the Civictor or Streamlight above.
    Last edited by LEDninja; 07-30-2006 at 08:01 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by MayCooper
    Another option is the Ultrafire 602A. ...
    The lights are equally bright, but the L1P has slightly better runtime....
    Maybe it's just my samples (2 x 602As, 3 x L1Ps, 3 x Civictors) but I find the L1Ps/Civictors have a LOT better runtime than the 602As. I've measured them at 1.5x to 2x the runtime of the 602As, using the same batteries.

Wish it weren't so, but that's what I found. They do get comparable brightness, but they run warmer with the energy they don't convert into light.
    Last edited by nerdgineer; 07-31-2006 at 10:33 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by CattyKid
    First of all, hello! I've always been very interested in electronics and after buying so many bulky, dim flashlights that go through batteries like nothing, I've decided to consult the Pros (that would be you ) and get a nice, compact, LED flashlight.

I've been looking around on eBay lately as they seem to have the best deals. I've found SO many different kinds, ranging from 12 LED to 100 LED lights. The 100 LED lights seem very appealing because I would think that the more LEDs you have = more light. But I also know that, since not every seller lists the MCDs of their LEDs... I could be getting poor LEDs in my flashlight.

I would TRULY appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of an around $15 (with shipping) LED flashlight on eBay, preferably the brightest one that I can get for that money.
    I really appreciate any help you would be willing to give me. It seems like you have a great community here!
    Try these threads:
    What is your favorite cheapie led light? http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104951

could y'all update "The poor flashaholics top 10"?
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=112435

WOW! All these EXCELENT answers!!!!!!

I wish that I had the same info when I started.

So I bought a few multi led lights and 1/2 of them don't work now.

Anyhow I aggree with all these comments above but like to add little something about Dorcy super 1 watt (CR123A). You could pick this up and try it for 20 bucks from Target and if you dont like it, return it within reasonable time frame.

If you search for Dorcy super 1 watt on this forum, you will find lots of folks loves this light and I aggree.

I also love Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon as others also.

When I buy those funky lights from ebay or anywhere now its to play but not to use!

Newbie!

Enjoy.

Though some of the cheapie Chinese lights may be of good quality, those I have looked at were not.

In fact, I took three different models apart (multi-5mm LED models), and discovered that they were direct-driving from 3 cells. They were bright, but one or more LED's started strobing or burned out...quickly. Like, within the first 15 minutes of use.
    These lights often use unknown LED brands, and the overdriving is simply bad design.

If you can, go with the slightly more expensive suggestions above, and you will likely get much greater reliability.
    Good brand LED's and reasonable drive currents are a must.

Bob

Enlightened

One more vote for the Dorcy Super 1 watt. It's a decent balance of brightness and run time in a solid package, and cheap enough that you won't be too sad if you lose it. I was looking for a cheap, single-123A LED, and I found it at Target, of all places.

Flashaholic

Element Luxeon 1.2 Watt
    2 for $25 at Sam's Club

I'll have to agree with the Streamlight AA ProPoly Luxeon, great light for the money.
    The L1P/L1T is a good choice if you need something small, I have a Millermod L1P and MM L2P as well, both very nice light.

I would go with the ProPoly though, the Fenix are bright for their size, the ProPoly is just bright. It's a very good deal.

Flashaholic*

If you really want the brightest, the 5mm and Rigel lights won't do it.
    I'd recommend the following lights which are very close to your budget (albeit a bit higher, but not as high as some other lights recommended):

Dorcy Super 1W - $20 from Target
    Pelican M1 2310 - $20 from SierraTradingPost + shipping
    Nuwai Q3 - $30.70 shipped from LED_Experimenter here on CPF (check his thread in the Dealers forum)
    Streamlight: TL-3 Xenon, Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1, Scorpion LED SSC P4, KeyMate Silver (Nichia CS)
    Nuwai: 2x QIII TWOH (Green and Titanium), TM-313X Ti (QV1J DD 14500)
    Surefire: M2+C2-HA+Detonator, E2D, VG FB1+EXe, VG FB3+E2C+C2
    Vital Gear F2, Huntlight FT01, Jetbeam Jet1 AA and 123A, Fenix E1 (Silver), Luxogen LR5A-3W & LR12 CR2 (SCC P4), Spiderfire LR8, NexTorch Z1, Gerber Infinity Ultra (2x Green), Dae's UV 12LED
    Emergency Kit & Knives Pics - Lights & Knives Pics - Small Knife/Lights

Steramlight 4AA Luxeon is pretty good, even though its around $30 shipped. On eBay, you're going to pay $14.95 S&H on $2.95 crappy lights.

I did all kinds of abusing of 4AA Luxeon and it was quite tough. see my thread here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=117570

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned the Electro Lumens Blaster-1R for $19.99. A 1 watt Luxeon led with 8 hours of voltage regulated run time on 2 D sized alkalines.

My vote goes to the new Inova X1

I second LumenHound's recommendation of the Blaster 1R. Here is a link that might work better.

- Terry

Flashaholic*

Here is a good, cheap 1 watt Luxeon LED flashlight, for only $8.97! They are on clearance at Lowes.

It's Item#102786, and made by Task Force. It is a 3AA, black ABS construction with a soft rubber grip,and includes a lanyard as well as 3AA Duracell cells.

I bought one this morning,and the output isn't bad. A nice white beam,and brighter than my Dorcy Metal Gear. Even though the side spill has a couple slight rings to it, you don't really notice that unless shining the beam on a white wall.

And, just loosen 3 philips screws from inside the bezel (unscrewing the head,or bezel,is how you load the cells) and you can check out the Luxeon star.

Great Luxeon flashlight for newbies to get a feel for LEDs.

At the price of $8.97, this light is almost disposable!

Wow, so many great replies!
    Tigerhawk, I went with the Inova Radiant C from Target for $32 with tax. So... do you guys think this was a good price for this light? It seems very nice... a little bulky but that's fine for me. Luckily I have 90 days to return it, which is great! It seems pretty bright, well balanced in my hand (FEELS nice), feels like a quality flashlight.
    Now, in terms of brightness... do you guys think it would be worth it to pay another 10 dollars or so to get a Fenix? I noticed there was no review on FlashlightReviews for the Radiant C, but the Radiant AA got 4 stars.

Thanks again for ALL your help, I appreciate EVERYONE who took the time to help me out... I think I've found a pretty cool new hobby!

EDIT:
    @ lumenal... I looked on the lowes website but couldn't find that flashlight
    Last edited by CattyKid; 07-31-2006 at 07:40 PM.

The Radiants are indeed quite nice. They're quality flashlights, but don't have quite the same over-engineering as the more expensive ones do. You might have gotten a better price on the 2C, as I saw it for $20 at Fry's, although I went with the AA and AAA. If you want a light that uses C cells, add one cell and a few more dollars and you'll get the StreamLight ProPolymer Luxeon 3C. I believe www.fox-intl.com has the best price. It's one of the most powerful flashlights available, with features like flat regulation and superb environmental resistance.

The bottom line is that you should probably return the Radiant 2C and get yourself that SLPPL3C. It's a favorite of many CPFers (including me), and for good reason.