Can I use lithium batteries in 1 watt 3AA headlamp?

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
I have a Coghlan's headlamp. Haven't seen it reviewed. 3 brightness levels, seems well made, like it. Don't know whether I can run it on lithium AAs. Do you?
TIA,
John

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes.. there will be absolutely no problem using 1.5 volt AA batteries of any type. You may notice a bighter light, and the runtimes will be longer.

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
I thought lithium AAs were 1.7 v. I have a Streamlight 1 watt 3AA, and they say not to use lithium batts. That's why I'm not sure.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends... If it is regulated, it is probably safe. If merely resistored or DD, maybe not.

And/or If it has decent heat dissipation probably OK... If not, maybe not.

And without a regulating circuit, the Vf bin and the value of the resistor becomes a factor.

It will PROBABLY work ok... I doubt it would 'instaflash' unless you are real unlucky. If you try it, just monitor the heat, and if the base of the LED gets uncomfortably warm, go back to alkalines.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello lightcrazed.

their have been reports of some lithium AA battery`s, venting with flame or exploding.

do you really want to take the risk with something strapped to your head.

I would stick with alkaline battery, but the choice is yours.

regards.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard of any problems with the Energizer brand lithium 1.5v (nominal) AAs. (doesn't mean that there hasn't been any, just that I haven't read one).

So far, all I've heard reports on AA sized ones were the Chinese cloned ones.... (and I've used and abused a hundred of them with no problems.)

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Silviron. I found out a little more about it. It says it's DC-DC regulated. I know on its brightest setting it just goes out if the batteries are getting weak. Medium and low settings continue to work. I use it for work so don't want to blow it up, and have been tempted but haven't dared to try lithiums yet.