An huntlight clone ?

x2x3x2

Banned
not clones, they were bought from the manufacturers of huntlight. just rebranded.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Descriptions says it has a polycarbonate lens. The Huntlight FT01 has a ultra-clear glass lens. Looks like the manufacturer of the light allows the purchasing company to pick certain features to reduce cost. If all else but the lens is the same, it could be an amazing deal!

maverick215

Newly Enlightened
jsr said:
Descriptions says it has a polycarbonate lens. The Huntlight FT01 has a ultra-clear glass lens. Looks like the manufacturer of the light allows the purchasing company to pick certain features to reduce cost. If all else but the lens is the same, it could be an amazing deal!
at 29.87 shipped US with insurance (approx)
a polycarbonate len
no accessories
and no warranty
I dunno if I would call it an "amazing deal"
pretty good, at best
EDIT: also forgot no Bin listed... could be any lux III in there.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, maybe I didn't look at it close enough. I thought it was $3something for the light and $13 for the shipping. Yikes, if it's $30 USD, yeah, not as good deal.

maverick215

Newly Enlightened
jsr said:
Oh, maybe I didn't look at it close enough. I thought it was $3something for the light and $13 for the shipping. Yikes, if it's $30 USD, yeah, not as good deal.
GBP 1.99 (buy it now, light)
[per ebay this is approximately USD $3.72; or about 1.87 USD to 1 GBP]
GBP 12.99 (shipping)
GBP 1.00 (insurance, optional)

1.99(3.72)+12.99(24.28)+1.00(1.87)= 15.98(29.87)

EDIT: vs about 38-41 shipped from cpf sellers (known source) close call...
...snipped... I'll have to go 'local' :)
I was on the fence... but working out the total cost eliminated that thought.

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
@maverick215

What are the problems u've heard? The only one i read about is regarding using 2x RCR123 fresh or charger. Most 2x CR123 lights would probably have this same "problem" as well.

There are many high end 2x CR123 lights which have the "problems" of accepting 18650 cells, bad beam tints and donut holes.
The huntlight has none of these.

Considering the $30+ cost it's a great light, in terms of build quality, beam tint consistency and running 18650 rechargeables. I got this light out of impulse and never regretted it, most of my friends who've seen it all wanted one and i ended up ordering a bunch more :)

huntlight

Newly Enlightened
FT-01 has to obtain a patent on Industry Appearance in China. The patent number is 200630017428.3 ,any clones are illegal.

maverick215

Newly Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:
@maverick215

What are the problems u've heard? The only one i read about is regarding using 2x RCR123 fresh or charger. Most 2x CR123 lights would probably have this same "problem" as well.
snip
looking back, I can only find the one... I was thinking there were 2-3 but perhaps I just read about the same one in several threads...
regardless, 2 rcr's shouldn't be a problem according to specs posted:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1455608&postcount=35
which says input voltage is 3-9v
2 rcr's fresh off charger don't exceed 9v, so there should not be an 'problem' ,in the first, place regardless of what 'most 2x cr123 lights' would do.
Even without this potential qc issue (imho that is what it boils down to) I would prefer my light to have a warranty, thus my original reasoning stands, despite the flawed/incomplete base data.

x2x3x2

Banned
Yes, only 1 guy burnt out his Huntlight running RCR123, probably a fault of that one unit, also he got to send it back. There are many others who run RCR123 just fine.
Anyway to each his own, I think the best warranty/value/QC would be Streamlight. That being said, I've yet to encounter any manufacturer which have 100% production run without defects reaching the end consumer.

Last edited:

maverick215

Newly Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:
Yes, only 1 guy burnt out his Huntlight running RCR123, probably a fault of that one unit, also he got to send it back. There are many others who run RCR123 just fine.
Anyway to each his own, I think the best warranty/value/QC would be Streamlight. That being said, I've yet to encounter any manufacturer which have 100% production run without defects reaching the end consumer.
clearly, you'll never have 100%, hell even NASA (with a massive budget to check and doublecheck)has issues sometimes..
Streamlight eh? what 3w lights do they make? Are they still using a plastic window/"lens"? what bin leds do they use for their lights? I'm sure they're perfectly fine lights and all, but they just don't seem to be looking to cater to the 'flashaholics' from the lights I've seen out of them. yet they are charging, in my mind, a premium; afterall aren't they manufactured in china? (not that in itself it is a bad thing, just that in general manufacturing costs should be lower, thus price should be 'lower') just thoughts on your comment... not trying to hijack the thread.. honest! :)

x2x3x2

Banned
I suppose u could checkout flashlightreviews.com for those specs u are looking for in the reviews for SL lights.

Regarding your comment about flashlights catering to flashaholics, i think that's pretty off topic already and very subjective. What makes a flashaholic? Someone who only buys premium costing lights? Customs mods? Or having enough posts to get that label?
I don't see any relavence in saying SL not catering to flashaholics.
Would u consider Huntlight a flashaholics light then? This is a post about it after all. SL do make similar aluminium lights in very similar form factors as well.

What i said in my previous post was from my experience with Huntlight product and just giving u an alternative of trying SL products since u wanted better quality n warranty, lotsa folks here do stand by SL quality/service.
Please don't start making comaprisons about NASA n all that, going way off track. U could probably start a thread regarding QC n other quality related issues there.

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
is this a clone or a rebadged huntlight? -i am not a fan of streamlight either-

-david

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just quick comment on SLs, I like them a lot, but have only experienced their tactical lines (TL-2, TL-3, NF-2, Scorpion) which are made in the USA. The TL-2 LED, NF-2 LED, and Scorpion LED are all very well made and outperform many Lux3 lights (these are Lux1s). I don't pay attention to the emitter/star used and more to the actual performance when shopping. A Nuwai Big Q3 uses a Lux3, but any of the SL's I mentioned make similar or more output and outthrow it. The tactical lines also use glass windows in both their LED and xenon lights. They are, however, quite a bit pricier at $60, which for $5 more, you could get a Pentagon L2 black.

x2x3x2

Banned
@jsr

Hi, i was actually thinking of getting the Pentagon L2 as well. Have u tried it urself? Much difference for FT01 in ur opinion?

Latest posts