WahWang 3 die LED project questions...

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I now have 4 of these emitters sitting in my mod box. Now I am contemplating on what to do with them. My first idea was to mod my Milwaukee 18V light, which I may still do. However I think a bike light might be a good option for these as well?

Anyway I am trying to figure out just how one would wire the emitter in series since the + and - points reside on oposite sides of the emitter. Has anyone thought of a way to do this without it looking like pooh? I mean wouldn't we have to criss cross wires back and forth to wire it in series?

Maybe I'm missing something?

MM

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
MM,

I "think" these will be more floody, like a 5W LED, so decide what type of beam and throw you want, and this would dictate what type of reflector to use. Also, if I recall, these are much wider than the 5W, so our normal and beloved reflectors (McGizmo, IMS, etc.) might not be wide enough. I am expecting my own emiters any day now, so I guess I will find out for sure quickly enough.

Yes, for series, you will have to criss-cross wires. What driver were you planning on using?

Will

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mirage_Man said:
Anyway I am trying to figure out just how one would wire the emitter in series since the + and - points reside on oposite sides of the emitter. Has anyone thought of a way to do this without it looking like pooh? I mean wouldn't we have to criss cross wires back and forth to wire it in series?

MM
It's only 2 criss cross wires and the reflector will hide them anyway.

Tritium

Enlightened
Here is a very good host for this led. The reflector is ideal for the die and the image completely fills the reflector. It is almost a drop in mod. Just unsolder the existing star and solder in the new one. (I have a 5watt version of the light that had a burned driver board. I have tested it direct drive with jumpers to the led and plan to use an N-flex as a driver as soon as I get a mount built for the board to align it with the switch button on the light. It blew away the orginal 5 watt installed in the light)

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=939

Thurmond

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium said:
Here is a very good host for this led. The reflector is ideal for the die and the image completely fills the reflector. It is almost a drop in mod. Just unsolder the existing star and solder in the new one. (I have a 5watt version of the light that had a burned driver board. I have tested it direct drive with jumpers to the led and plan to use an N-flex as a driver as soon as I get a mount built for the board to align it with the switch button on the light. It blew away the orginal 5 watt installed in the light)

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=939

Thurmond

That's great if you have a star but I have 4 emitters. :whistle: :laughing:

Tritium

Enlightened
Mirage_Man said:
That's great if you have a star but I have 4 emitters. :whistle: :laughing:

You can always use a salvaged star from another project or a round heat sink assy from a cheap Chinese E-bay light (the original leds practically fall off these)
also I think the Shoppe sells just the heatsinks for mounting emitters.

Thurmond

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium said:
You can always use a salvaged star from another project or a round heat sink assy from a cheap Chinese E-bay light (the original leds practically fall off these)
also I think the Shoppe sells just the heatsinks for mounting emitters.

Thurmond

I may do that. I ordered some blank stars off eBay awhile back.

However it still doesn't help to wire in series. I think I have figured out a way to make a series wiring look ok.

MM

Tritium

Enlightened
Mirage_Man said:
However it still doesn't help to wire in series. I think I have figured out a way to make a series wiring look ok.

MM

Enlighten (pun intended) us.

Thurmond

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium said:
Enlighten (pun intended) us.

Thurmond

Nothing special really..Just plan to use a modified DHS HS and maybe enlarge the wires holes enough to allow the wires to be woven back and forth under the emitter under the heat sink. It'll clean up the look considerably.

MM

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I'm a little bit confused as to the Vf of these. Is the listed Vf for each individual die? I guess I'd have to assume it is but I thought I'd ask anyway.

What amperage can one drive these at safely with a good HS?

MM