So we all know that vBulletin's "Search" function isn't the best thing since sliced bread. I use a variety of methods to search CPF. Perhaps we can compile a few here in this thread to help each other? As we refine our methods, I'll try and keep this first post edited to reflect them. Thank you!
Check out the new "Google Search" option at the top of your CPF screen!!
(Thank you Sasha!!)
1. "Search" - function at the top of your screen. I'm not sure how many characters Sasha has our search pared down to - 3 characters typically take up too many resources for a search, so it may be 4 or higher?
2. "Advanced Search" - function also appears when clicking on "Search". Many options presented.
3. "Google Search" - "searchcriteria" site:candlepowerforums.com. (Replace "searchcriteria" with your own data and include: site:candlepowerforums.com
4. "Google Search CPF link"- click on this link and bookmark page to be used again.
5. "Ctrl F hot-key" - Many browsers allow the use of the "Ctrl F" hot-key to enter your search criteria for the page you're on.
Example: Click on the CPF Archive at the bottom of your screen. Pick the Forum you wish to search. When the list of threads appears, use the "Ctrl F" hot-key combination on your keyboard and enter your search criteria. Various options are also present ("Find Next", "Find Previous" etc.)
Note: When searching the archives you will need to click on each page and then click on "Find Next" over and over while wading through the info...then on to the next page of that thread. Be patient there's a lot of pages in some of those archived Forums.
6. "Place CPF search engine in Firefox searchbar" - Allows one to create and place their own custom search engine in the Firefox searchbar. Make sure you read and understand the "How do I remove" in case you decide you don't like it.