Got some Surefire DEF's

maverick

Enlightened
I bought 2 of these today. Looks like the anticipated K2's right? But actually they are the "DEF 8K" models which I think were made for the military or something. Both of them come with the main white LED and an outer ring of 2 LED colors. I bought one each of the A and B version, the only difference being the color of the outer LEDs. The A version has RED and BLUE whereas the B version has RED and GREEN. The dealer told me that it was part of a limited batch they received and it has the PK logo laser engraved onto the side. The colors are selected by the ring just behind the head (just like the U2). The tailcap is a 2 stage clickie which adjusts the 2 stage brightness of the main white led. I also saw a "DEF 5K" version, the difference is the brightness of the main led and the inability to turn on the outer leds independantly of the main led. The very interesting thing is that there is no serial number on the main body like there is on all other surefires I know of.

03082006023iu3.jpg

03082006026tx7.jpg

03082006027vl3.jpg

03082006028bi9.jpg

Last edited:

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Not Kromas, but rather something like the DARPA DEF3A lights.

Maverick, about what did you pay for each, if you don't mind me asking? Excellent find.

marcspar

Enlightened
Are those the the "pk specials" with a LuxV and 5mm outer leds?

Marc

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello maverick:)

Congratulations to your new lights.

What's the diameter of the head? It looks like a good host for a multiple Lux-mod.

Best regards

_____
Tom

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Very cool...I had heard a rumor of this light, but I guess it was not one. Did you get these through a dealer? Prices? Availability?

maverick

Enlightened
I got them for about $275 each. He told me that it was the last 2 he had left, and that the rest were the 5K's. According to him, Surefire allocated 100 units to SE asia and he got 20 of them which he received just this Monday. They must have gone like hot cakes since he sold them all in 4 days.

marcspar

Enlightened
Al, or anyone, can you confirm or deny that these have LuxV and the larger 5mm led around the bezel?

Thanks,

Marc

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
What? Whoa, I need to see some beamshots of that 5W through the optics. It would be like my L5 with an optic, right? Any US dealers have them?

roguesw

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
What? Whoa, I need to see some beamshots of that 5W through the optics. It would be like my L5 with an optic, right? Any US dealers have them?

kdog3, i tried using a KL1 TIR on a Lux V, giant hotspot, projected the four dies perfectly, the hotspot was bigger than a Lux V using Mc-R27 reflector
the KL1TIR is tiny in comparison to a Kroma or Def TIR,
take into account that TIR can customised to the size of the LED, i am guessing the Def TIR will have a good throw and good light coming out of it

now, how do i get my hands on a TIR optic from the DEF or Kroma :)

link to pictures taht i posted a comparison between TIR and Mc-R27, in both Lux V and Lux III

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=126340

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
So what's the deal with these lights? Are they going to sell them as regular models or will they just be yet another limited edition only sold to the asian markets? Oh, and how can they be shipping these yet we are still waiting for our Kromas? Grrrrrr...

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice light for sure,

A little bulky but nice!

I wonder how the Beam on that light looks like!

I had plans on Upgrading my ordered K2 Milspec with a Lux V and boosting the output a little.
If doable.

X fingers.

Benny