Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photography?

Default Photography?

Just wanted to know any CPFers here into photography? I started this hobby in 2003, having owned several compacts and also dSLRs. Now I'm using the Canon 20D. My gallery is in my sigline.
    47 Preon Ti. ITP A3 SS, Zebralight SC51 Neutral, Fenix LD25, E11, HL30 & PD32UE, Gerber IU, Jetbeam PC10, Nitecore SRT 5 & EA4, Thrunite Archer 2A, Sunwayman V11R & D40A, Ayup MTB Light.

Default Re: Photography?

Been into taking pics since about 1970 when I purchased an Olympus 35 RC rangefinder. Went to a Fujica ST801 SLR a few years later. Those were good for a couple decades until I got an autofocus point and shoot, the Pentax UC-1. Went digital a few years ago with a Canon S110, now with a Sony V1. I'm still really a rank amatuer, but it's all fun. My affection for cameras stands side to side with flashlights and radios.

Geoff

I'm into a little bit of photography. I've been seriously into it since the late '90s. My first camera was an Nikon FM2 and the good 'ol 50mm manual lens. God, I miss those days when everyone was using film. I remember the first time I got back slides using Velvia 50. Man....I was blown away.

After that, my next camera was the Nikon F80, then F100, then F5. My lens collection grew to a 50mm 1.4, 60mm micro 2.8, 85mm 1.4, 105mm 2.5, and the awesome zooms: 80-200 2.8, 17-25 2.8, 28-70 2.8, and finally a 17-55 2.8.

I got into digital probably in 2003/2004. I bought a Fuji S2 Pro... (still my favourite in producing the most awesome pics, but what a slow pain in the ass!). Then I got a D70 and the D2x. My investment in photography definately overshadows my little interest in flashlights...... .... I don't even want to know how much I've spent!

Anyways, I'm into a lot of street photography as well as nature and portraits! Good to hear from other photographers on this forum!

WP

LOVE Photography and Video.

Been into it for a few years now,
    been through quite a few cameras.

Currently I am using a Canon SD630 digicam
    and a Sony HC90 vidcam.

Here is my Gallery.
    http://www.jtice.com/gallery

Here are some vids.
    http://www.jtice.com/home_movs/index.htm

~John

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

I studied to be a photographer, but got an IT job shortly after. Don't do much photography except some hobby stuff or a freelance assignment once in a while. I hope I can put my studies to work someday....

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle
    Went to a Fujica ST801 SLR a few years later.

I actually still have and use a ST801... The thing is older than I am, but I love that camera. Too bad the winder mechanism has jammed up recently. I think I'll drop it off at my dad, he used to work at the repair depertment of a camera manufacturer
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Not any good at it, but it doesn't stop me from trying. I like taking pics of small things, or colors.

I've been into photography for a while now. I own an EOS 20D. Its been around for a few years now but there's still nothing that beats it for the price.

I recently purchased the 70-200 f2.8 IS. Just think how many flashlights I could have got for that! Can't decide whether to get the 17-55 2.8 IS or 24-105 f4 IS with the intention of going full frame. Its not really an issue right now since I have no money.

I have a Canon Rebel XT dSLR myself. Kit lense and also a 70-200 f4. I am not really a photographer though. Just like taking good pictures...

I enjoy photography although, I don't own a camera. I used to have a Canon A1 but it was stolen. Anyway, I'm getting into scanner photography. You know, the flatbed scanner. Seems it's being done by a few with nice results albeit limited in what one can capture.
    "Battle Speed Hortator"

Flashaholic*

I've been using SLR's since about 1969. I started on the high school yearbook staff and I took some courses. I've done weddings for friends. I read books and magazines occasionally so I can learn a little about landscape photo, closeup photo, or portrait photo. Last year I switched from film to digital and bought a Nikon D70S.
    Pel. M6 LED, SL TL-2 LED, TL-3 Xenon, Scorpion, Inova X5, SharperImage Luxeon, Gerber Infinity, Petzl Tikka, 2C Mag 3x123 KPR112, 2D Mag 7xAA KPR118, Nuwai QIII, TM115, TM311, 3rd_shift Luxeon 3C Magmod, Solitaire Luxeon, MiniMag MJLED,Mag85, MagLed 2D.

I have the Canon 350D (Rebel XT) with a little assortment of lenses - Sigma 30mm f1.4, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 17-70mm. Got it back in Nov of '05 and I think it's a great camera! I used to do lots of B&W film photography back in highschool including loading my own film, shooting, and developing. Things are MUCH easier now with digital. Here are some of my flashlight photos:

More shots at my site.
    "Let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down"

Another one here.

Got hooked with a 110 Vivitar "pocket" camera in the 70's and acquired other cameras. I had hoped to make the jump to large format yet the call of digital swept me away. Along with it the 120 roll film and panoramic cameras went bye-bye.

This one shot with a Noblex panoramic

Canon G6 stitched
    Last edited by RA40; 08-05-2006 at 12:40 PM.
    Mike

Yes, I am a great fan of photography, but have not yet used digital cameras. I have and use the Kodak Retina Reflex SLR (1957-1959 type) and have taken some wonderful images with it.

Only 3 lenses were made for it: 35mm, 50mm and 80mm, yet with these three most subjects can be covered. It has a leaf shutter for flash sync at any speed up to the top of 1/500th (although I mostly use flashbulbs for the soft light they produce and copious output). German glass gives results that are very unlike anything produced today - pictures hava a certain 'look' to them that is distinctive. They are not soft, but have a warmth and slightly lower contrast compared to the moderns - wonderful for scenery and portraits. The 50mm f2 lens was introduced for use at the 1939 olympics, but was later coated for better image rendition.

Modern cameras also lack the traditional camera 'smell' I have found. Smell is a very underrated sense and cameras of old smell of fine machine oil, shellac and leather (and not forgetting the hot laquer smell of the combusted flashbulbs). I like those smells - almost addictive!

I hope my camera lasts for many years to come.

Ian, UK

Flashaholic*

Canon, Polaroid, Pentax, and several others have nearly put me in the poorhouse over the years; not just cameras and film but all the other 'goodies' like lenses, filters, etc.
    I have tapered off to very little activity in recent years but now I would like to try basic digital; eg; take picture, post to computer, enjoy or send.

At the risk of thread hi-jack can some of you digital wizards suggest a reasonable camera to start with? I have done some prelim. work but there sure is a whack of them out there!
    Plus that the language is a lot different from what I'm used to.

Thanks

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by savumaki
    At the risk of thread hi-jack can some of you digital wizards suggest a reasonable camera to start with? I have done some prelim. work but there sure is a whack of them out there!
    Plus that the language is a lot different from what I'm used to.

Thanks

Karl
    Depends how much you are looking to spend and what you want to shoot.

I'm partial to Canon, so I'd suggest the Powershot SD series for point and shoots, and the Canon Rebel XT as a fairly inexpensive entry-level dSLR.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/ for a wealth of info.

Photographer for real since 1959, when I cumshawed an on the job training post in the service. Took photos of the decommissioning services for the last B-36 in the Air Force. Worked as a photojournalist/reporter on a large daily newspaper, taught photo during grad school. Have used 4X5 Graflex, Leica, Practika, Canon, Rolleiflex, Pentax , Kodak digital(the wife's) and Nikon. Soon, I will buy a digital for me.

I love airplanes, cars that run fast and women that don't run at all, at all! From the time I was trying to make a hot rod out of my dad's big, red International Harvester tractor, It took me 50 years to get to the Bonneville Salt Flats, where I have spent the last two Speed Weeks photographing the speed machines and their servants.

Last week, spent the day wandering a local track, watching and photographing vintage sports cars going fast. My buddy went with me, or I with him, and he took 843 photos (1 gig card) with his digital. Clever me, I only had 4 rolls of film, so I went home when it started to rain and I ran out of film at about the same time. Altogether a good day!
    Last edited by sniper; 08-07-2006 at 09:09 PM.
    That old Black Maglight has me in its spell;
    That old Black Maglight that shines so well...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ResQTech
    Depends how much you are looking to spend and what you want to shoot.

I'm partial to Canon, so I'd suggest the Powershot SD series for point and shoots, and the Canon Rebel XT as a fairly inexpensive entry-level dSLR.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/ for a wealth of info.
    Thanks- point and shoot is about the extent of what I want to invest. I will check out the SD series as I'm sure I don't want to entertain SLR again.

Flashaholic

Yes, you can see my gallery in my signature line.

Flashaholic

Beautiful photographs. Use the perspective warp tool to correct the lean on your Petronas Towers photos.

I use a Canon 20D. My lens (or is it lenses) include a 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L f4.0 (I wish it were an f2.8), 100-400L, 50mm, 180mm Macro. I also have various macro accessories, a 1.4x telcoverter and a 580ex flash. I have two Gitzo tripods (one larger and heavier and one very light weight), a Gitzo monopod, and a Kirk car mount. I use a Kirk ball head and a Wimberley head.

The subject I photograph the most is birds. My favorite place to take photographs is the Bosque del Apache Wildlife Refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogliness
    I use a Canon 20D. My lens (or is it lenses) include a 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L f4.0 (I wish it were an f2.8), 100-400L, 50mm, 180mm Macro.
    You've got a nice assortment of quality glass!

I have never posted any photos of birds, and feel a little nervous about it.
    Here are a few photos taken at the Bosque del Apache Wildlife Refuge.

Nice pics, Dogliness. Watching, feeding, and photographing birds are favorite activities of mine.

Geoff

Wow, Mac!

Great shots there!!!!!

WP

Flashaholic*

Mac & Dogliness,

What cameras did you guys use for those photos? The photos are very nice.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Billson
    Mac & Dogliness,

RebelXT
    Canon 20D
    Canon 10D

Mac
    www.macscustoms.com
    *Note* Shipping Insurance must be requested.

Iím also a big fan of photography. Iím having a blast with my Canon Rebel XT with a 24-70mm f/2.8L lens. Unfortunately, once you go into the ďLĒ series lens, thereís no turning back. My lens cost significantly more than my camera body!

I take a boat load of pictures when Iím out. Being that itís digital, itís guilt free when I push the shutter button repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Billson
    Mac & Dogliness,
    I used a Canon 20D. The glass (lens) plays a big part in the quality of the image. I used a Canon 100-400mmL lens. The processing of the image is also important. I shot the images in RAW and processed most of the images in Photoshop but some using a program called Raw Shooter by Pixamentec. Adobe recently purchased the intellectual property assets of Pixementec, and is developing a new RAW conversion program called Lightroom. Lightroom is released in beta. A production version should be released sometime next year (I hope it is integrated into the next version of Photshop, although it may be sold as a stand alone program, I am not sure).

If you have Photoshop, you can download a picture, open it in Photoshop, and then go to the File pull down menu and click on File Info. Then go to the Camera Data item, and for most images it will tell you, for the image, the make and model of the camera that took the image, the shutter speed, exposure program (eg shutter priority), f-stop, focal length at which the image was taken (eg 100mm), lens used, meter mode, and whether a flash fired.

Flashaholic*

Well, that dashes my hopes of ever taking pictures that nice. I'm afraid of starting this hobby knowing how expensive it is unless I stop buying flashlights altogether.

Thanks.
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast