Photography?

Dreamer

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to know any CPFers here into photography? I started this hobby in 2003, having owned several compacts and also dSLRs. Now I'm using the Canon 20D. My gallery is in my sigline. :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Been into taking pics since about 1970 when I purchased an Olympus 35 RC rangefinder. Went to a Fujica ST801 SLR a few years later. Those were good for a couple decades until I got an autofocus point and shoot, the Pentax UC-1. Went digital a few years ago with a Canon S110, now with a Sony V1. I'm still really a rank amatuer, but it's all fun. My affection for cameras stands side to side with flashlights and radios.

Geoff

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm into a little bit of photography. I've been seriously into it since the late '90s. My first camera was an Nikon FM2 and the good 'ol 50mm manual lens. God, I miss those days when everyone was using film. I remember the first time I got back slides using Velvia 50. Man....I was blown away.

After that, my next camera was the Nikon F80, then F100, then F5. My lens collection grew to a 50mm 1.4, 60mm micro 2.8, 85mm 1.4, 105mm 2.5, and the awesome zooms: 80-200 2.8, 17-25 2.8, 28-70 2.8, and finally a 17-55 2.8.

I got into digital probably in 2003/2004. I bought a Fuji S2 Pro... (still my favourite in producing the most awesome pics, but what a slow pain in the ***!). Then I got a D70 and the D2x. My investment in photography definately overshadows my little interest in flashlights...... :laughing: .... I don't even want to know how much I've spent!

Anyways, I'm into a lot of street photography as well as nature and portraits! Good to hear from other photographers on this forum!

:thumbsup: WP

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I studied to be a photographer, but got an IT job shortly after. Don't do much photography except some hobby stuff or a freelance assignment once in a while. I hope I can put my studies to work someday....

Flying Turtle said:
Went to a Fujica ST801 SLR a few years later.

I actually still have and use a ST801... The thing is older than I am, but I love that camera. Too bad the winder mechanism has jammed up recently. I think I'll drop it off at my dad, he used to work at the repair depertment of a camera manufacturer :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
:wave:
Not any good at it, but it doesn't stop me from trying. I like taking pics of small things, or colors.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been into photography for a while now. I own an EOS 20D. Its been around for a few years now but there's still nothing that beats it for the price.

I recently purchased the 70-200 f2.8 IS. Just think how many flashlights I could have got for that! Can't decide whether to get the 17-55 2.8 IS or 24-105 f4 IS with the intention of going full frame. Its not really an issue right now since I have no money.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
I enjoy photography although, I don't own a camera. I used to have a Canon A1 but it was stolen. Anyway, I'm getting into scanner photography. You know, the flatbed scanner. Seems it's being done by a few with nice results albeit limited in what one can capture.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using SLR's since about 1969. I started on the high school yearbook staff and I took some courses. I've done weddings for friends. I read books and magazines occasionally so I can learn a little about landscape photo, closeup photo, or portrait photo. Last year I switched from film to digital and bought a Nikon D70S.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Canon 350D (Rebel XT) with a little assortment of lenses - Sigma 30mm f1.4, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 17-70mm. Got it back in Nov of '05 and I think it's a great camera! I used to do lots of B&W film photography back in highschool including loading my own film, shooting, and developing. Things are MUCH easier now with digital. Here are some of my flashlight photos:

IMG_2029_edit2.jpg

IMG_3204_edit.jpg

IMG_3215_edit.jpg

More shots at my site.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another one here.

Got hooked with a 110 Vivitar "pocket" camera in the 70's and acquired other cameras. I had hoped to make the jump to large format yet the call of digital swept me away. Along with it the 120 roll film and panoramic cameras went bye-bye.

This one shot with a Noblex panoramic
tahoe4.jpg

Canon G6 stitched
SnPedr1c.jpg

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened
Yes, I am a great fan of photography, but have not yet used digital cameras. I have and use the Kodak Retina Reflex SLR (1957-1959 type) and have taken some wonderful images with it.

Only 3 lenses were made for it: 35mm, 50mm and 80mm, yet with these three most subjects can be covered. It has a leaf shutter for flash sync at any speed up to the top of 1/500th (although I mostly use flashbulbs for the soft light they produce and copious output). German glass gives results that are very unlike anything produced today - pictures hava a certain 'look' to them that is distinctive. They are not soft, but have a warmth and slightly lower contrast compared to the moderns - wonderful for scenery and portraits. The 50mm f2 lens was introduced for use at the 1939 olympics, but was later coated for better image rendition.

Modern cameras also lack the traditional camera 'smell' I have found. Smell is a very underrated sense and cameras of old smell of fine machine oil, shellac and leather (and not forgetting the hot laquer smell of the combusted flashbulbs). I like those smells - almost addictive!

I hope my camera lasts for many years to come.

Ian, UK

savumaki

Enlightened
Canon, Polaroid, Pentax, and several others have nearly put me in the poorhouse over the years; not just cameras and film but all the other 'goodies' like lenses, filters, etc.
I have tapered off to very little activity in recent years but now I would like to try basic digital; eg; take picture, post to computer, enjoy or send.

At the risk of thread hi-jack can some of you digital wizards suggest a reasonable camera to start with? I have done some prelim. work but there sure is a whack of them out there!
Plus that the language is a lot different from what I'm used to.

Thanks

Karl

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
savumaki said:
At the risk of thread hi-jack can some of you digital wizards suggest a reasonable camera to start with? I have done some prelim. work but there sure is a whack of them out there!
Plus that the language is a lot different from what I'm used to.

Thanks

Karl

Depends how much you are looking to spend and what you want to shoot.

I'm partial to Canon, so I'd suggest the Powershot SD series for point and shoots, and the Canon Rebel XT as a fairly inexpensive entry-level dSLR.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/ for a wealth of info.

sniper

Enlightened
Photographer for real since 1959, when I cumshawed an on the job training post in the service. Took photos of the decommissioning services for the last B-36 in the Air Force. Worked as a photojournalist/reporter on a large daily newspaper, taught photo during grad school. Have used 4X5 Graflex, Leica, Practika, Canon, Rolleiflex, Pentax , Kodak digital(the wife's) and Nikon. Soon, I will buy a digital for me.

I love airplanes, cars that run fast and women that don't run at all, at all! From the time I was trying to make a hot rod out of my dad's big, red International Harvester tractor, It took me 50 years to get to the Bonneville Salt Flats, where I have spent the last two Speed Weeks photographing the speed machines and their servants.

Last week, spent the day wandering a local track, watching and photographing vintage sports cars going fast. :thumbsup: :) My buddy went with me, or I with him, and he took 843 photos (1 gig card) with his digital. Clever me, I only had 4 rolls of film, so I went home when it started to rain and I ran out of film at about the same time. Altogether a good day! :)

Last edited:

savumaki

Enlightened
ResQTech said:
Depends how much you are looking to spend and what you want to shoot.

I'm partial to Canon, so I'd suggest the Powershot SD series for point and shoots, and the Canon Rebel XT as a fairly inexpensive entry-level dSLR.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/ for a wealth of info.

Thanks- point and shoot is about the extent of what I want to invest. I will check out the SD series as I'm sure I don't want to entertain SLR again.

Dogliness

Enlightened
I use a Canon 20D. My lens (or is it lenses) include a 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L f4.0 (I wish it were an f2.8), 100-400L, 50mm, 180mm Macro. I also have various macro accessories, a 1.4x telcoverter and a 580ex flash. I have two Gitzo tripods (one larger and heavier and one very light weight), a Gitzo monopod, and a Kirk car mount. I use a Kirk ball head and a Wimberley head.

The subject I photograph the most is birds. My favorite place to take photographs is the Bosque del Apache Wildlife Refuge.