HDS Systems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I got my A2, now I have a question......

Default So I got my A2, now I have a question......

First off, I love this light so far. It goes very nicely with my watch.

My question though, is in the inconsisties in the machining. The groovs at the top of the body (closest to the head) have a ridge on two of them. Not really noticably but there just the same. Thats not the part I don't like. Here is what sparked this thread.

the line that looks like a smudge. (coincedently, you can see one of the ridges in the groove at the bottom of the pic.)

Is that line and the ridge normal? Just curious.

clipse

Default Re: So I got my A2, now I have a question......

huh.....never noticted, but mine has exact same line and a couple of the grooves have the same "ridges" yours does....

Pretty normal I guess, doesn't really bother me...

dragoman
    EDC - varies

Lights - all sold except for my P1, D2 w/ Cree drop in, Cabelas 12V Turbohead and assorted generic lights

i have that on an old L2 ("the smudge")

I guess it doesn't really bother me. I just kinda expected more from a light that has a bigger following than some deities.

Still, its a completely awesome flashlight.

clipse

Quote Originally Posted by clipse
    I guess it doesn't really bother me. I just kinda expected more from a light that has a bigger following than some deities.
    I respect your attention to detail - I still do that sometimes, but I've trained myself not to care that much. I stopped paying attention to the cosmetics of a light some time ago. They are, foremost, tools to be used and abused. Smudges, nicks, dings, scratches, etc. just give lights their "character" and as long as they don't interfere with their functioning, I'm cool.

All of my SF lights have the smudge. Not sure what it's for, but it's always there.
    U2 | G2L | G2Z | L4 | LX2 | A2 | E2e | Mag2C ROP-LE | ML1 | ML1-X | L1-Cree | SF-III | T1A w/ XP-G | Malkoff MD2 w/ M60L, HAIII 6P w/ M60,M61

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED
    I respect your attention to detail - I still do that sometimes, but I've trained myself not to care that much. I stopped paying attention to the cosmetics of a light some time ago. They are, foremost, tools to be used and abused. Smudges, nicks, dings, scratches, etc. just give lights their "character" and as long as they don't interfere with their functioning, I'm cool.
    I completely agree. The only thing is, I bought this new so I could put the smudges, nicks, ding, and scratches on it. Again though, this is not a deal breaker, just an observation. This light is still [peter griffin voice]'freakin sweet!!!'[/peter griffin voice]

clipse
    Last edited by clipse; 08-03-2006 at 12:46 PM.

In my quest for the ultimate flashlight, I have noticed that there are a few companies out there that put more emphasis on aesthetic perfection (McLux, HDS) than SF. As GreenLED said, SF's focus is definitely on performance, and w/ their large military contracts, one can understand their mindset. They are making tools that are meant to take a beating. Their lights are top notch, no doubt about it, but they aren't going to be so obsessed about the aesthetic details as are most of us CPFers.
    U2 | G2L | G2Z | L4 | LX2 | A2 | E2e | Mag2C ROP-LE | ML1 | ML1-X | L1-Cree | SF-III | T1A w/ XP-G | Malkoff MD2 w/ M60L, HAIII 6P w/ M60,M61

The smudge is a machining mark. See how it follows the line of the flare out to the head? That smudge is the path of the tip of the milling tool as it moves along cutting aluminum forming the shape you see around the base of the clip holder.
    My A2 has it too and I think my L2 had, and L1 have it too, I just didn't look that closely at them. I think some shades of HAIII cover it better than others.

Got it on mine don't worry about it the A2 is above all that, you'll see the light,LOL
    K2-MS; A2; E2D; E2L; Minimag 2AA LED; (2)Streamlight Twintasks 123's; Nite-ize Modified Minimags; Element Luxeon AAA, Brinkmann Maxfire 123's; a bunch of yellow Ray-o-vacs AA's

I have exactly the same mark in the same place on the light as yours. At first i thought it was defective as well. However, after checking a few pics on the forum on other A2, i notice it was normal to have such marks. Since I was not a loner in this, then i believe it's alright!.

Sleep tight tonight, those grooves are caused by production. I checked straight evenly my A2, L1, L2. They all have exactly the same marks.

richard
    Last edited by Ritch; 08-03-2006 at 05:45 PM.

greenLED, you are going to have to check my A2 for smudges, when you get it. Sent it out today.

Bill

Flashaholic*

It's what Blindasabat said - the marks are from the cutters. Ideally, they would not be there, but they are admittedly only cosmetic. Re: other mfr's lights not showing these, make sure you're comparing lights with as intricate milling. Anyone should be able to get a simple round body with some checkering done without tooling marks. Lights like the A2 and U2 are a different order of work.
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

One of SF's designers stated that one of SF's most important qualities is the "chicks dig it" one.

I should have saved the clipping.

Quote Originally Posted by SCblur
    In my quest for the ultimate flashlight, I have noticed that there are a few companies out there that put more emphasis on aesthetic perfection (McLux, HDS) than SF. As GreenLED said, SF's focus is definitely on performance, and w/ their large military contracts, one can understand their mindset. They are making tools that are meant to take a beating. Their lights are top notch, no doubt about it, but they aren't going to be so obsessed about the aesthetic details as are most of us CPFers.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by SCblur
    ...I have noticed that there are a few companies out there that put more emphasis on aesthetic perfection (McLux, HDS) than SF.
    I thought this statement was a bit funny because the 'company' that makes the Mclux makes statements like this:

This light is first and foremost intended as a tool to be used and although the price is significant, it is not priced due to time and effort devoted to cosmetic perfection or appearance. There are cosmetic irregularities in the finishes and some parts have tooling marks. The quality of materials, fit and function are of import but the looks are secondary.

This was actually written by bernie, but it sounds like a don quote to me. It seems to me like Don is always talking about how his lights are meant to be tools and the aesthetics are not the goal. It is actually US who have labelled the McLux products as aesthetic perfection, not the company.

schiesz

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

my L1 has the smudge at first i was like "oh no, what the?" then i realized it was on practically all surefires so i was ok.
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

Thanks for posting this, Clipse; I was wondering exactly the same thing. I thought it was a scored region inteded to be cut off but wasn't, or something. Also mine has _exactly_ the same "Ridge" in exactly the same place as in your picture. I was afraid I had done it somehow.

It would be neat to see how these are made; -think a CNC machine does a lot of it??

I looked at my A2 and I have exactly the same markings on mine. I don't know if I'd ever have noticed myself if you hadn't brought it up.

I didn't notice any ridges (from memory) but I do remember seeing the smudge in both my black limited edition A2s. I would prefer it not to be there, but well, its not really that big a deal either i suppose =)
    Somy Nex

I guess that those few lights with smudges will become highly sought after, and terribly expensive in a few years. Sort of like the 1909 SDVD penny. Correct me if I got that SDVD wrong.

Bill

Flashaholic

End mill bits will leave tracks on virtually anything machined with an end mill. They are flat bottomed bits that turn like a drill bit and move sideways. The tracks are the path the bit is taking. Lot of work and expense to remove all the machining marks, that's why SF's are so affordable.

Such a timely thread! I just received my A2 today, and was a bit concerned when I noticed the marks right as I was removing it from the packaging...glad it's not a problem with my light!

I'm sure glad that I don't have an A2 so that I don't feel compelled to join in any forum about a smudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobweb Hunter
    I'm sure glad that I don't have an A2 so that I don't feel compelled to join in any forum about a smudge.
    And somehow you joined anyway......hmmmm.

Another obsevation. I've read that they threads are machined so that when the head was tightened that the flats on the head would line up with the grooves on the body. Upon further inspection. It looks more like the clip keeps it from tightening anymore. I can turn it just abit further but then the clip digs into the head. Can anyone else confirm that?

This light is freakin sweet.

clipse
    Last edited by clipse; 08-04-2006 at 08:27 AM.

My A2 has the groove also. I had never noticed it before.
    Surefire A2. Surefire G2 Cree. Surefire E1E. Surefire 8NX. Inova X1. Inova X5. PT Yukon. PT Quad. River Rock Lantern. Fenix P1. Mag 2D LED. Mag 4D LED. Mag 3AA LED.

TMK, several SF lights have this decorative line, not just the A2. I don't care for it personally as it seems to form too rough of a surface for the HA to adhere properly. But such a minor detail for a great light.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

I just noticed last night that I can do 2 brightness levels with my A2's incan. I press the switch a little and I get a "low" incan, I press more, and it turns on "high". If I press the switch the whole way in, I have to double-tap it to get low, otherwise it comes on on "low".

Batteries low?
    Dirty contacts?
    Nature of the beast?
    Circuit problems?

I don't remember any of the other A2's I used doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED
    I just noticed last night that I can do 2 brightness levels with my A2's incan. I press the switch a little and I get a "low" incan, I press more, and it turns on "high". If I press the switch the whole way in, I have to double-tap it to get low, otherwise it comes on on "low".

Batteries low?
    Dirty contacts?
    Nature of the beast?
    Circuit problems?

I don't remember any of the other A2's I used doing this.
    In another thread someplace it was dirty contacts/extra resistance that caused this.

clipse

Glock40, we love talking about our "smudges". Gives the A2 character.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast