So I got my A2, now I have a question......

clipse

Enlightened
First off, I love this light so far. It goes very nicely with my watch. :D

a2.jpg

My question though, is in the inconsisties in the machining. The groovs at the top of the body (closest to the head) have a ridge on two of them. Not really noticably but there just the same. Thats not the part I don't like. Here is what sparked this thread.
wtf.jpg

the line that looks like a smudge. (coincedently, you can see one of the ridges in the groove at the bottom of the pic.)

Is that line and the ridge normal? Just curious.

clipse

dragoman

Enlightened
huh.....never noticted, but mine has exact same line and a couple of the grooves have the same "ridges" yours does....

Pretty normal I guess, doesn't really bother me...

dragoman

clipse

Enlightened
I guess it doesn't really bother me. I just kinda expected more from a light that has a bigger following than some deities. :)

Still, its a completely awesome flashlight.

clipse

greenLED

Flashaholic
clipse said:
I guess it doesn't really bother me. I just kinda expected more from a light that has a bigger following than some deities. :)
I respect your attention to detail - I still do that sometimes, but I've trained myself not to care that much. I stopped paying attention to the cosmetics of a light some time ago. They are, foremost, tools to be used and abused. Smudges, nicks, dings, scratches, etc. just give lights their "character" and as long as they don't interfere with their functioning, I'm cool.

SCblur

Enlightened
All of my SF lights have the smudge. Not sure what it's for, but it's always there.

clipse

Enlightened
greenLED said:
I respect your attention to detail - I still do that sometimes, but I've trained myself not to care that much. I stopped paying attention to the cosmetics of a light some time ago. They are, foremost, tools to be used and abused. Smudges, nicks, dings, scratches, etc. just give lights their "character" and as long as they don't interfere with their functioning, I'm cool.

I completely agree. The only thing is, I bought this new so I could put the smudges, nicks, ding, and scratches on it. :) Again though, this is not a deal breaker, just an observation. This light is still [peter griffin voice]'freakin sweet!!!'[/peter griffin voice]

clipse

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
In my quest for the ultimate flashlight, I have noticed that there are a few companies out there that put more emphasis on aesthetic perfection (McLux, HDS) than SF. As GreenLED said, SF's focus is definitely on performance, and w/ their large military contracts, one can understand their mindset. They are making tools that are meant to take a beating. Their lights are top notch, no doubt about it, but they aren't going to be so obsessed about the aesthetic details as are most of us CPFers.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smudge is a machining mark. See how it follows the line of the flare out to the head? That smudge is the path of the tip of the milling tool as it moves along cutting aluminum forming the shape you see around the base of the clip holder.
My A2 has it too and I think my L2 had, and L1 have it too, I just didn't look that closely at them. I think some shades of HAIII cover it better than others.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Got it on mine don't worry about it the A2 is above all that, you'll see the light,LOL

Haz

Enlightened
I have exactly the same mark in the same place on the light as yours. At first i thought it was defective as well. However, after checking a few pics on the forum on other A2, i notice it was normal to have such marks. Since I was not a loner in this, then i believe it's alright!.

Ritch

Enlightened
Sleep tight tonight, those grooves are caused by production.
sleepy.gif
I checked straight evenly my A2, L1, L2. They all have exactly the same marks.

richard

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
greenLED, you are going to have to check my A2 for smudges, when you get it. Sent it out today.

Bill

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's what Blindasabat said - the marks are from the cutters. Ideally, they would not be there, but they are admittedly only cosmetic. Re: other mfr's lights not showing these, make sure you're comparing lights with as intricate milling. Anyone should be able to get a simple round body with some checkering done without tooling marks. Lights like the A2 and U2 are a different order of work. :)

turbodog

Flashaholic
One of SF's designers stated that one of SF's most important qualities is the "chicks dig it" one.

I should have saved the clipping.

SCblur said:
In my quest for the ultimate flashlight, I have noticed that there are a few companies out there that put more emphasis on aesthetic perfection (McLux, HDS) than SF. As GreenLED said, SF's focus is definitely on performance, and w/ their large military contracts, one can understand their mindset. They are making tools that are meant to take a beating. Their lights are top notch, no doubt about it, but they aren't going to be so obsessed about the aesthetic details as are most of us CPFers.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
SCblur said:
...I have noticed that there are a few companies out there that put more emphasis on aesthetic perfection (McLux, HDS) than SF.

I thought this statement was a bit funny because the 'company' that makes the Mclux makes statements like this:

This light is first and foremost intended as a tool to be used and although the price is significant, it is not priced due to time and effort devoted to cosmetic perfection or appearance. There are cosmetic irregularities in the finishes and some parts have tooling marks. The quality of materials, fit and function are of import but the looks are secondary.

This was actually written by bernie, but it sounds like a don quote to me. It seems to me like Don is always talking about how his lights are meant to be tools and the aesthetics are not the goal. It is actually US who have labelled the McLux products as aesthetic perfection, not the company.

schiesz

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Thanks for posting this, Clipse; I was wondering exactly the same thing. I thought it was a scored region inteded to be cut off but wasn't, or something. Also mine has _exactly_ the same "Ridge" in exactly the same place as in your picture. I was afraid I had done it somehow.

It would be neat to see how these are made; -think a CNC machine does a lot of it??

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at my A2 and I have exactly the same markings on mine. I don't know if I'd ever have noticed myself if you hadn't brought it up.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
I didn't notice any ridges (from memory) but I do remember seeing the smudge in both my black limited edition A2s. I would prefer it not to be there, but well, its not really that big a deal either i suppose =)