LGI Build Update -- LAST FEW SHIPPING SOON...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
*BUILD UPDATE 1-25-03: See post number 97...

First of all I still DON'T have all the flashlight donors yet (see LGI and Mini LGI sale here ), hopefully they'll be here on Monday or Tuesday, but I certainly DO have the Luxeons already and they are indeed nice and bright and white.

So while waiting for all the parts to come in, I built a Mini LGI (the only one in existence right now besides the prototype) with the other NoviGear donor I had laying around. And true to tradition I immediately had to put it up against some other Luxeon mods I have here. In the picture below in order they are:

1 - MR Bulk's Personal (ooh!) LGI

2 - 1W SE in Brinkmann 3AA w/modified reflector

3 - Mini LGI just built

4 - Arc-SLS w/Kroll TSP

5 - 1W seriously overdriven on 6V (two 123 lithiums) in Brinkmann LX (NOT recommended!):

fcd5784c.jpg

And this is how their beams stacked up against each other, shown in the same order:

fcd5784d.jpg

Note how truly white (in fact blue-white in the case of the MR Bulk keeper) the beams of the LGI (left) and Mini (center) are. If I do say so myself, this is the product of meticulous (and blinding, while measuring each one in the dark with a constant 4.5V power supply against an LM631 light meter) sorting of each individual Luxeon I receive.

In fact while doing the sorting, a line from the Simon and Garfunkel song, "Sounds of Silence", keeps playing over and over in my head, "When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light, split the night"...

Hopefully the build will be in full swing by next week -- if I can still see by then.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright Mr. Bulk!

Finally a nice light using AAA cells and Luxeon for super bright and compact light. There's going to be some very happy people when you finish those.....

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy? That's an understatement, they are going to be estatic. Over the moon, jumping with joy, relieve, amazed, blinding themselves... so many emotions and you summarized all those in one simple word: Happy....

Let's give a round of applause to the master of understatement
grin.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
Note how truly white (in fact blue-white in the case of the MR Bulk keeper) the beams of the LGI (left) and Mini (center) are. If I do say so myself, this is the product of meticulous (and blinding, while measuring each one in the dark with a constant 4.5V power supply against an LM631 light meter) sorting of each individual Luxeon I receive.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hehe... that goes to show MR Bulk really *cares* about what he puts into your mod!
icon14.gif
cool.gif
I'm so familiar with that grind, that's why I did this:

Fast, easy luxeon sorting
wink.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
MR BULK,
WOW! Am I glad I bought one of those from you! (The money order is in the mail, it really is!)
grin.gif
My plan is to use it as my EDC light, the BB500 is mounted on my bike helmet so I can point it at drivers when I ride in the dark.
Blinding, pure white LED goodness in a small and cool looking package... my new EDC!
grin.gif
smile.gif
Thanks for the update.

Zephyr

Enlightened
YES!! I'm so glad I got one!!
grin.gif
Thanks Mr. Bulk!

EDIT: BTW, Mr Bulk, how bright are the batch of binned LS's that you got to go into the LGI and Mini LGI? I mean, did you get the chance to measure some of them? Just curious...Thanks so much!!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hey Charlie !!!! you tease the lost souls ...
do not let us wait !!!!
we want them NOW !!!!
grin.gif

Bernie

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
hotfoot, that is a grrrreat setup, and I replied in your post. Will save me some in reading glasses...

John, got your snailmail, like I said hopefully all parts are here next week and we'll get busy (this time I may actually have some HELP!!!).

Hey Zeph, without giving away all my secrets, let's just say the initial bin code of these particular Luxeons are not found in the first 16 letters of the alphabet...

Sorry Bernie, going back through about seven different "hobbies", I have come to learn that the thrill of anticipated acquisition is far greater than actual receipt (and besides, gimme a break, I don't even have all the parts yet)!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm,
Snail mail seems to be actually moving after the holidays
smile.gif
Good to hear I am on the list. As far as the initial bin codes... I will keep it on the Qt.
grin.gif

Zephyr

Enlightened

Hey Zeph, without giving away all my secrets, let's just say the initial bin code of these particular Luxeons are not found in the first 16 letters of the alphabet...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Holy Crud!!!
shocked.gif
Thanks for the quality LS Mr Bulk!!! Take it easy now!!!

ZEPH

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
hotfoot, that is a grrrreat setup, and I replied in your post. Will save me some in reading glasses...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks, Charlie!

BTW, I'm in on your next Mini LGI run (may I Paypal ya?) - I've been biting my lower lip on this wunderkind ever since you first posted about it - and I now HAVE to have one too, having seen how much it puts out
grin.gif
Its just the thing I need to complete my line-up of LS-based mini-lites (I don't have any un-regulated mini-lites as yet).

I'll be on the look-out for your next B/S/T thread...
smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
For those who have been asking exactly what level of "quality" Luxeons are going into this upcoming batch of LGI Minis and Classics, here's a coupla snapshots of the labels on the reels I just received:

fcd3d4f5.jpg

fcd3d4f7.jpg

Please pay particular attention to the three-letter code next to the word BIN: on the right side of both labels. Unless you are somebody like SureFire who buys 100K worth of Luxeons at a crack, you won't come across Q2's like these very often.

And despite this I am still testing every Luxeon from both reels and using only the cream of the crop. Because after all

"We will sell no LGI before its time."

Go here for more info:

LGI Sale Link

And Thank You for your support...

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Them Q luxeons is the good 'uns! And Q2s and Q3s are my faves too. I'll bet those Q2Hs will be for the mini-LGIs and the Js for the LGIs?

Woo-hoo - very cool, Charlie!

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by hotfoot:
Them Q luxeons is the good 'uns! And Q2s and Q3s are my faves too. I'll bet those Q2Hs will be for the mini-LGIs and the Js for the LGIs?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hotfoot, I agree with you. J will be too tough for 3AAA.

Alan

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Guys, if I told ya any more I'd have to kill ya and then blind ya! Or mebbe it was...nevermind.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... wonder if there will be any R3Gs...... I bet a lot of people will pay premium price for those....