2 AA Legend on steroids??

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my 2 AA Legend modified with a 5 watt SE driven at 2.1 watts using a constant current converter which can use Ni-MH, nicads, lithiums and alkaline AA cells. The cut off voltage is 1.4 volts. I get a run time of one hour and ten minutes on Energizer Titanium batteries. I haven't tested run times with other batteries yet. Heat is not a problem. Even after 20 minutes of constant use the Legend is only luke warm. The beam is in between a flood and spot due to the small reflector. The beam comparison is between the Legend and a Lightwave 4000. I just couldn't keep this to myself and I wanted to show everyone at CPF my new mod.

ARC mania
fcd5494e.jpg.thumb.jpg
fcd5494c.jpg.thumb.jpg
fcd5494b.jpg.thumb.jpg
fcd54807.jpg.thumb.jpg
fcd54806.jpg.thumb.jpg

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is just beautiful Arc mania! 5w SE are hard to come by these days but I bet that if you can ever get some more you could sell these for a great price here!!!

Great job!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc Mania, I'm impressed, ever since you pop in here, you have made 2 mods already. Both of which are very useful mods. May I know how many volts and amps are required to get to 2.1 watts?

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc Mania, the reflector hole is just big enough for the LS, none of the photon is wasted. Great works!!!

Alan

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently the 5 watt SE's are very hard to come by. I was very lucky to have obtained them from Future Electronics in Osaka, Japan. Eventually when supplies are available I may build a couple more 5 watt SE Legends and I will offer them for sale on CPF. Thanks for the compliments.

ARC mania

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
VERY clean "pill-looking" mod! So you lucky guys in Japan are getting 5-watt whites already?

Sheesh, now what is UP wi'dat??? I thought Lumileds and Future were USA outfits...

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I missed this one so here it is. With alkalines or lithium AA cells (3 volts)you will get the full 2.1 watts. With fresh batteries, the unit consumes over 1000ma. When the ma drops below 930ma, the unit will shut down and go into a type of moon mode. The converter used in this mod is current regulated.

ARC mania

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my PR based 2 cell flange based SE replacement bulb. I built a converter into the base of the bulb to drive the 1 watt SE at 350ma. I have also added a piece of brass between the converter and SE to help dessipate some of the heat. The only flashlights you could put this in is a 2 "C" or "D" cell flashlight made of aluminum.

ARC mania
fcd20f39.jpg
grin.gif
grin.gif

doubleganger

Enlightened
Originally posted by ARC mania:
Its possible to drop this module into a 3 AA Legend, it would feed over 3 watts to the 5 watt SE.

ARC mania
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well allrighty then. I want one. Please Please Pllleeeeaaaasssseeee
I was afraid it might not be able to get rid of the extra heat.