Small new 6V Flashlight Battery ?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was over at REI today and picked up this battery. What do you all think of it? Anyone seen it before? Should I try it in the CR2 Ion?? :naughty: should be OK :shrug:

Not sure on the capacity mAh
Have a look...
6V_Batt_pkg.jpg

6V_batt.jpg

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
it says its silver oxide, it is probably very potent.
hearing aid batteries that are silveroxide can last 3 times longer than alkies, in high drain devices.
on the OTHER hand, silver oxide is used more often in devices that have a low slow draw, for longer runtimes. so it might voltage drop if you tried to draw lots and lots off of it.

if the unit it is designed to go into, runs 3-5 5mm leds, then it probably is not such high current (at one time), but longer running. if it was designed to go in a digital camera (for example) it would certannly put out the 6v strongly.

if you stick it in something looking for 3-4V max, it could be to hot for it, depending on the current draw, or curcuit used.
lots of the curcuits that are put in these led lights are very dependant on the voltage input. some (lets call them) better curcuits, as long as it is within the voltage range, the current to the led would be similar.

i am not helping am i :)

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
VidPro said:
it says its silver oxide, it is probably very potent.
hearing aid batteries that are silveroxide can last 3 times longer than alkies, in high drain devices.
on the OTHER hand, silver oxide is used more often in devices that have a low slow draw, for longer runtimes. so it might voltage drop if you tried to draw lots and lots off of it.

if the unit it is designed to go into, runs 3-5 5mm leds, then it probably is not such high current (at one time), but longer running. if it was designed to go in a digital camera (for example) it would certannly put out the 6v strongly.

if you stick it in something looking for 3-4V max, it could be to hot for it, depending on the current draw, or curcuit used.
lots of the curcuits that are put in these led lights are very dependant on the voltage input. some (lets call them) better curcuits, as long as it is within the voltage range, the current to the led would be similar.

i am not helping am i :)
LOL yes and no ;) Thanx anyway VD. We missed ya at the lunch get-together this week.

I'm tempted to try this thing in my CR2 Ion.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
the spaceshot2, is a zenon (incadescent)(&small led), it would require quite a bit of current for the incan.
so i would assume that the battery would deliver it, based on that.

there are 2 ways to test if it will overrun your light.

fire up your bench supply , you know the one with voltage and current control . hook it up direct to the light (where the battery would connect) and slowly raise the voltage to what the battery could deliver. read the current, and make sure its not going over.
or
put the battery in, leave the endcap off, and put a ammeter (dmm) inbetween the curcuit connection. make contact Quickly, and read the amperage that the light would be hit with, when you have that battery in it.
add a BIT more amperage to compensate for the LEADS that go to the DMM, and that is about how hard it will run the light, when it is in it.

if its close enough, put the battery in, and quickly test again, to see if it heating. if its over the LED spec, it wont nessisarily burn out Immediatally, but it could still burn out MANY times faster. or even could eventually or immediatly fry the curcuit in the light.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
spaceshot
ahh crud, i looked closer, and the 6v battery is being used as a BACKUP , not as the main battery.

*Retired*
The cell only has 200mAH capacity anyhow. Yes, intended for low drain applications.

Sure looks like you will be pushing past the limits of the chip in the CR2 Ion, unless the cell voltage drops under load, which I expect it will.

It's that initial few seconds you gotta sweat, one ends up with a useless flashlight if things go wrong, and isn't covered under warranty then, due to end user abuse.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you open the 6 Volt battery you pictured, you will find four SR44 button cell stacked up.
Old cameras (including my Voigtlander) uses that battery.
The BD Supernova uses it as backup to light the two secondary LEDs, when the main AA batteries are gone.

There also is a lithium vesion available, made with two cells stacked up.

Many fakes uses four LR44 (alkaline) stacked up.

As Newbie pointed out, the voltage will sag excessively if used in place of a CR2.

Not worth any experimenting.

Anthony

Last edited: