Rayovac 4AA vs TigerLight...

Illuminated

Enlightened
Test Target: Mailbox on far side of street from my dirty front window
Distance to Target: 200-230 feet? (est.)

Subject #1: Big Lots Rayovac 4AA Rubber Flashlight ($2.49+tax)

Modifications: Newer version of widely available 3-cell PR-Base lamp (Xenon, straight sided non lens-ended glass) ($5.19+tax), (4)1800mAh NiMH Batteries ($16.87+tax w/Ultra-Fast AC/DC Smart Charger), No WriteRight PDA film, No other alterations whatsoever

Spot diameter @ Target: 12 feet (est.)
Description of beam: Very well-defined round even hot spot, little or no corona at distance
Overall Whitness of Hot Spot (scale=1-10): 9.3
Estimated Lamp Life: 6 to 8 hours (with luck?)
Approximate Run Time: 1.5 to 2 hours

Subject #2: TigerLight ($94.50)

Modifications: None whatsoever

Spot diameter @ Target: Huge
Description of beam: Large well-centered hot spot, large oval-shaped bright corona
Overall Whiteness of Hot Spot: 10
Estimated Lamp Life: 200< hours
Approximate Run Time: 1 Hour

Winner by Comparison: TigerLight!

Comments:

While TigerLight was the clear winner and by many accounts sets a new standard for its category, the Rayovac 4AA Rubber light with the overdriven new-style Xenon lamp yielded very tightly controlled focus and outstanding throw, besting any 4AA light I've ever seen in that regard. I believe it can even out-throw my Pelican Super Sabre 3C. I'd have to say that it deserves a VERY HONERABLE MENTION for even attempting to keep up with the TL at that range!

John

hideo

Enlightened
I'm sure all the old timers are looking at this and saying "yep, this cheap flash thing has been run into the ground", but it is really amazin how a cheap RayOVac or Dorcy benefits from the bulb upgrade ...

I paid $3.30 for my RayoVacs (which included a serviceable Leatherman clone and Cordura sheath) and 50 cents each for 3.6V Xenon bulbs which were a closeout from Lumilite at my local hardware store--the beam is scrappy, but gives my G2 a tough time

I picked up a couple of the faceted Dorcys for $2.99 each and with the same bulb, they have a broader hot spot then the Surefire though the gradation out is not as nice, they'e pretty darn good (though obviously, bigger)

can hardly wait till the Carley group buy arrives--check the plastic for heat resistance ...

80/20 rule (or 90/10 at work here)

best,

hideo

Dorcy yellows smooth and FACETED reflector , ARC AAA LEs, 1 turquoise and UV, Mag 3D, 2C with KPR 112 and 3x123 (soon to be host to Carley bulb library ,numerous mini-mags, RayOVac 4AA xenon cheapies, Lenser Photonpumps in red, white and blue flashing, Surefire G2, Streamlight 4AA LED and Elektrolumens 1W Luxeon headlight

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love to see a "cheap-o" special really kick butt or at least hold its own. I've gotta go digging around the closeout stores to see if I can find a real dog to soup up. Maybe make the ultimate sleeper.

John,
I found it amusing that the bulb is 108% more expensive than the flashilight itself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey