NiMh , how far ?

vtt

Newly Enlightened
how far do you think NiMh will go in terms of capacity ?

i'm guessing that AA's will top at 3200-3500 mha and AAA's will top at 1300-1500 mha.

i do however think that when they get to their capacity limit they will still improve on faster charge rate , lower self discharge and maybe a longer life cycle.

what do you think ?

ericg533

Newly Enlightened
Those may be the limits of NiMh but other chemistries will come to our rescue in the future.

I noticed you have the flag of Isreal as your icon. If you are from Isreal I would like express my deepest sympathies towards you and your country. I think I speak for all Americans when I say that we also hope for peace in the middle east.

Last edited:

vtt

Newly Enlightened
Originally Posted by ericg533
I noticed you have the flag of Isreal as your icon. If you are from Isreal I would like express my deepest sympathies towards you and your country. I think I speak for all Americans when I say that we also hope for peace in the middle east.

Thanks , i appriciate it .

jtr1962

Flashaholic
vtt said:
how far do you think NiMh will go in terms of capacity ?

i'm guessing that AA's will top at 3200-3500 mha and AAA's will top at 1300-1500 mha.

i do however think that when they get to their capacity limit they will still improve on faster charge rate , lower self discharge and maybe a longer life cycle.

what do you think ?
I'd probably say the limit is closer to the low end of your range than the high one. Note that we had 2500s well over a year ago. Now we're only up to 2700. Progress used to be much faster which tells me we're getting close to theoretical limits. I do agree that charge rate, self discharge, and perhaps number of cycles will all improve greatly.

On another note, eventually we'll certainly have AAs and AAAs in capacities far more than you mentioned but they won't be NiMH. My money is on supercapacitors for the long term. Exotic materials with high surface area relative to volume such as aerogels combined with other exotic materials with very high dielectric constants might mean AAs with capacities an order of magnitude greater than today. The potential market for cells with this kind of power density is huge. You could make EVs with 1500 to 2000 mile ranges, for example, or store solar power for night use. Best of all, supercapacitors are good for hundreds of thousands of cycles, and the charge rate is limited mainly by the internal resistance plus the power the charging system is capable of delivering.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nimh certainly seems to be reaching a limit recently but this could be about to change. Nanotechnology seem to be the answer to everything these days. I've read recently that nanotechnology could increase the capacity of Li-ion cells 7 fold and bring capacitors up to the energy density of current Nimh. I also read some time ago that nanotechnology will be used in Nimh. I hope this also means a 7-fold increase in capacity for Nimh. Time will tell.

VWTim

Enlightened
Supercapacitors would be great. Could you imagine plugging your "batteries" into their charge slot, and being charged almost instantly? WAHOO

havand

Enlightened
Honestly, they just need to do more work on all battery formats instead of mainly AA and AAA. Such as 1/2 C and 1/2D. All NIMH of those i've found have horrible capacity. I'd be better off using an AA. 1/2, 1/3 AA, forget about it. They need to get these capacity densities on par with the AA. (then i could stack them and have a 3.6v AA size with 1000mah that wasn't Li-ion..i'd sure appreciate that.)