OK, I am UPSET.
This morning I put my Surefire M2 + detonator + G&P tailcap + Chop modded KL3 (LED) into the armrest of a rental Toyota Camry. We're at the beach and I brought it along as I knew we'd be out with friends all day and possibly into the night. I also took along my SF L5 w/ SW02.
Tonight we went to another beach to watch the Ferry and walk along the ocean with our friends and our kids. I took out the M2+KL3 and noticed it was dead. I then noticed by the light in the interior that the rubber tailcap had fallen off. Odd, as I checked the light (on then off) before I put it into the armrest. If the light was low I was going to grab extra cells, but it was bright (the 3x123s only had about 20 mins of use).
Well the L5 worked so I took it along for the walk. We get home and I take the lights into the beach house (10 minutes ago).
THE AMONDOTECH CELLS "EXPLODED" IN THE M2!!! It appears the gases pushed off the rubber tailcap and the modded KL3 is clouded. I AM SO UPSET. What gases were expended? My family would have been exposed to the gases (son 6 and daughter 3 as well as my wife and I) in an enclosed car. I only removed the head and noticed the inside of the head of the light and body as well as the cell are blackened. I removed the tailcap and see the same.
It did not get hot today. We had the windows closed and even after 2 hours at the beach, when I opened the doors the car interior wasn't hot. The L5 is fine and it was in the same interior.
Right now I am MAD. I've got several hundred dollars of light ruined. I've got possible noxious gases in an enclosed car. I don't see any obvious reason the cells ruptured. I used three new cells in the light, all from the same batch from Amondotech. I ordered the 2x123 sticks and "broke" one of the sticks so I could have a 3x123 setup. I've done this in the past running a W/E 9v incan bulb and never had a problem. I know the light was turned off as I tested it before I put it into the car. It is a Toyota Camry and was not driven hard enough to knock the light around to turn it on. (The lights were lying on their sides in a short storage bin in the armrest).
I don't understand what happened. I am stunned. This wasn't a high-draw incan; it was an efficient LED. The cells were new and matched from the same order/batch. The light was lying on its side in an armrest tray alongside an L5 (which I know has to draw more from the cells than the modded KL3). I've used the KL3 for many hours in the past few weeks and never had an issue with drained cells, even when running the G&P tailcap. I swapped a new set of cells just before we left for the beach on Friday.
However, I would like answers. I'll contact Amondotech on Monday to lodge a complaint. I'll gladly send them my light for evidence. I may even contact an attorney. I may contact a doctor too.
When I get some time I'll take pictures and post them here.