Possible new hobby

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been doing a lot of research online and I went to a surplus store and held a bunch of different models.

The Spyderco kumo was too small for my hand and the nice Benchmade Fixedblade Griptilian had a flatish handle so it wasn't really comfortable. The Rat-3 handle was too short.

So definately a fixed blade of quality (maybe two :naughty:) about 7.5" to 9" OL and a nice small unobtrusive sheath.

I'm really leaning towards the Bark River Huntsman over the Fox River because of the flare on the handle to help prevent grip sliding onto the blade. Ouch. But that Fox is sweeet.

Anyone know what kind of handle can I get on the Bark River Huntsman that would be the best for gripping hot, cold, wet or dry?

I still like the F1 Flakniven and that one with the Rubber Handle F1 looks really good too.

And I definitely like the look of those Bob Dozier knives. Like the KM-6 or KM-3

Can any of you knife guys and gals comment on these below?

Doug Ritter RSK MK3 CPM S30V hardened to 58-60 HRC

Moran Drop Point Skinner Hunting Knife by Spyderco Knives VG-10

Spyderco Lum Tanto AUS-8

TOPS Sea Wolfe 154CM

This KA-BAR Looks nice too.

knifebright

Enlightened
tony scratch your list out and grab yourself a Chris Reeve Niel Roberts Warrior knife. If you cant find one of those try the small green beret. You wont be sorry i promise.
jimmy

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Jimmy! Thanks, those a pretty kewl. A bit too long and heavy for my first knife. Any others a bit smaller?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey! How come my like of the Arch-Ally looks better than those in your link? Is it the angle of the photo?

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
I have the Huntsman and would recommend either G10 or micarta for a good grip. Actually, I currently have it listed over at www.knifeforums.com

http://knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/774337/

The thing to remember about the Bark Rivers is the great warranty. 100%, no questions asked and it follows the knife, not the purchaser. If you get it used, still covered. Not too long ago he had one sent in that had been in a house fire. All that was left was the blade and it was of course ruined from the heat. Mike sent out a new as a replacement, no charge. Mike will also repolish or etch a blade if you decide you want it to look new again. If you haven't done so, check out his forum over at knifeforums.com

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
MScottz said:
I have the Huntsman and would recommend either G10 or micarta for a good grip. Actually, I currently have it listed over at www.knifeforums.com

http://knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/774337/

The thing to remember about the Bark Rivers is the great warranty. 100%, no questions asked and it follows the knife, not the purchaser. If you get it used, still covered. Not too long ago he had one sent in that had been in a house fire. All that was left was the blade and it was of course ruined from the heat. Mike sent out a new as a replacement, no charge. Mike will also repolish or etch a blade if you decide you want it to look new again. If you haven't done so, check out his forum over at knifeforums.com
Let me know if you're interested in selling it :)

Pablo: That wood is very beautiful but I'm not sure it would make a good handle because it is fragile and if drastically affected by the california climate. My Quebacho split for the Second time!! I may have to take you up on that spare :)

03lab

Enlightened
Good choices. I love my Fällknivens but have been drooling over Bark River's offerings for a while too, especially their smaller models.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on out to the Bay Area Knife Collectors Show in Palo Alto the 19-20'th this month at the Crown Plaza. Plenty of knives to be had. :) Plenty of SF flashlights can be found too.

Any CPF'ers stop by and say "HI", I'll have a table next to Stan Fujisaka. This is one of my creations:

lanoknf.jpg

Last edited:

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
03lab said:
Good choices. I love my Fällknivens but have been drooling over Bark River's offerings for a while too, especially their smaller models.

The Mini Canadian is one of the best selling models and one of my current favorites, makes a great neck knife when set up with kydex. I managed to get a one of a kind Purpleheart handled proto that was one of the very first Mini's Mike made. It is completely hand made and sat in Mike's desk for a year before he started cleaning out his office.

proto.jpg

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
RA40 said:
Come on out to the Bay Area Knife Collectors Show in Palo Alto the 19-20'th this month at the Crown Plaza. Plenty of knives to be had. :) Plenty of SF flashlights can be found too.

Any CPF'ers stop by and say "HI", I'll have a table next to Stan Fujisaka. This is one of my creations:

lanoknf.jpg
PERFECT!! Thanks RA40!!! :D

I'll Be there for sure! I bet JimH will want to come along too.

edit: Duh! The Crown Plaza in Palo Alto. I know where that is. It's that nic hotel on El Camino Real where the Beatles stayed, back in the day :) So what are the times? Do we need tickets? Is it free? Can we get some special CPF passes LOL

(I've PM'd some local CPF'rs)

PS That's a sweet knife in the pic there!!

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
MScottz said:
The Mini Canadian is one of the best selling models and one of my current favorites, makes a great neck knife when set up with kydex. I managed to get a one of a kind Purpleheart handled proto that was one of the very first Mini's Mike made. It is completely hand made and sat in Mike's desk for a year before he started cleaning out his office.

proto.jpg
Sweet. I was checking those out online last night. I think, as a n00b, I need one with a guard like the Huntsman. I hear these Bark Rivers can be extremely sharp and easy for a n00b to get injured.

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
Most Bark Rivers do not have guard, and in reality, none i s needed. After all, how many pocket knives have a guard? The only time you have any danger would be when you are using a lot of force on the point of the blade, and even then, it's not a big deal. The shape of the Mini almost gives you an internal guard. I'm not sure who told you that they were easy for a noob to get injured on, personally I don't think they knew what they were talking aobut. If you go over to Mike's forum, I'm sure others could give you better reasons as to why guards are really not as useful as people think they are.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like fun, Ill be there. You think there will be anybody there that can fix a UTX70?

Just picked up a cute little Gerber knife at Target for $10.

knifebright

Enlightened
Nah jim when the UTX-70 breaks in the way yours did (non retract symtoms)its a sear that broke. Its not a fix cause it needs a new sear assembly.
tony if its custom fixed blade your into I'll offer you a sweet intoductory new addiction price on My AES Motorcycle chain damascus 9inch. Its actually forged from motorcycle chain with the same chane for a skull crusher, and mircata/cow bone bolster.
IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

It was one of AES's earlier pieces, is a one of a kind and it sold for 375 from him. PM me if your interested and i'll let you know my willing to let go of it to help a new addict price
jimmy