bad idea to mix R123's in an HDS and a G2 w/ 9v lamp.

SCblur

Enlightened
I just ordered a G&P G90 9v lamp and 6 unprotected r123's for it. I also have an HDS B42 that can make use of the R123 batteries. Since the HDS is a single-cell light, is there any potential (increased) risk in mismatched cells in the G2, caused by the HDS wearing down single batteries. Does that make any sense?

Excuse my ignorance, this might be a stupid question. But if it's safer to get dedicate a couple of batteries to only use in the HDS, and use the rest for the G2, I'll do it. I just don't know if that will matter.

Thanks
Josh

Geologist

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
I'd personally dedicate 2 or 4 of the cells to the G2. I'd mark them as pairs as well so they always get used together.

What he said!

With multi cell Li-IOns - keep them grouped to make sure they get used the same.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mark my NiMH cells so they get used together in the same lights. Two Powerex 2500's in matched pairs (cycle them each through the 2AA Med) The eight AA cells are only used in the nFlex LuxV 8AA Mag etc. I can see unprotected Lithium-Ions being much worse when it comes to keeping them balanced. The vent with flame thing...

majr

Newly Enlightened
As long as they are both fully charged before going into the g2 I dont see how some additional cycles on a cell will affect its capacity that much. I would think that manufacturing tolerances among the cells would account for a larger difference. I would check them often with a meter and group cells that are performing similarly if you do choose to group them.

Latest posts