Duralast 3.0v Li-Ion??

Galiphrey

Enlightened
In Fries today I found a Li-Ion batteries & charger package marked "3.0 Volts" and marked "3V" in various places on the packaging and on the battery labels... It's called "Duralast," and the package includes two 123-sized batteries marked "700 mAH." The charger looks very much like this one.

I almost bought it, thinking about my new A2, but I couldn't decide whether or not to believe "3.0 V" and thought I'd check here first. In the store I was thinking, "Surely they wouldn't put a precise marking like 3.0 if it's really 3.6, would they???" But maybe they would.

Thanks in advance!

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Don't know about the cells you saw at Fry's but....

I just bought a Striker VG light + rechargeables + charger from www.batteryjunction.com, on of our CPF members. I haven't even opened the batteries or charger package yet. However, I glanced at the package on my workbench today and the batteries are marked "3.0V". Further investigation reveals that they probably are. These are 900 mAh cells, which you can reference here:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/rc390reliba.html
Note that they do require a special charger.

Drop Matt a line at BatteryJunction about using them in your A2. He is a great guy to deal with.

Bill

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3V Li-Ion cells that came out at one time were of poor quality and lower capacity than the 3.7V Li-Ion cells. The 3.7V Li-Ion cells had a max capacity of maybe 700mAh. I doubt if these are really 900mAh

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Internal voltage regulators. Initial cell voltage of 3.6V switches to 3-3.2V within 12ms.

its probably a lot like the 2xAA replacement battery for the walkeman things, they use li-ion 3.7v (type) batteries, and lower the voltage a bit with a curcuit, or diodes or something. probably something simple.

the voltage might read Different depending on the current draw, so reading with a meter might not tell you a lot, reading with the actual load on them they will have will.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
wptski said:
The 3V Li-Ion cells that came out at one time were of poor quality and lower capacity than the 3.7V Li-Ion cells. The 3.7V Li-Ion cells had a max capacity of maybe 700mAh. I doubt if these are really 900mAh

An inflated spec would not come as a surprise, especially from the same site that claims a hard anodized XM-3 variant, but 900mAh doesn't strike me as being too far outside the range of possibility... 700*3.7/3 is 863.333.... Maybe if you round 3.7 up a little bit and pretend the step-down converter is lossless.... Or maybe they could have started with a 750mAh Li-Ion ??

At any rate, if it's really 16.5 mm in diameter, I think that would make it the only known protected Li-Ion of any sort that could fit in some of the skinnier battery tubes from Surefire and JetBeam and such. Is that right?

I emailed them about using it in an A2, and they basically just said that it might work, but since it takes the circuit up to 12 mS to kick in, using it in an incandescent light may blow the bulb (sounding maybe unaware of the A2's soft-start / PWM circuitry). So anyway, I guess I'll order it and see how it goes.

So cd-card-biz, does your new Striker VG have that new and improved UI?