Review - Luxogen LR5-3W with Pics and Indoor + Outdoor Beamshots

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up my two Luxogen LR5-3W lights today and got to play with it a bit just a few minutes ago. It's not dark yet, but I did some testing in my controlled laboratory (aka, my bathroom with the door closed for darkness).

Summary of Luxogen LR5-3W:
Battery - 1x CR123A
LED - LuxIII
Lens - 2mm Mineral Glass
Finish - Hard Anodized Natural (HAIII Nat)
Dimensions - Approx. 67mm x 0.79 (exact same size as Jet1 123A)
Price - $28.95 shipped
Vendor - Waion on CPF

Color/Finish/Exterior Machining/Design - The HAIII Natural is lighter than that on my Jet1 and a bit shinier, but it's very even. The knurling is done very nicely and the machining looks very good overall. The threads can be a bit rough, but a bit of lube should smoothen it out nicely. I suggest turning the head somewhat slowly when reassembling after putting in a battery as if you turn it fast, the o-ring will bind a bit, but it doesn't occur (often) if you just turn it normally/slowly. The threads fit the Jet1's threads prefectly, but the Jet1's 123A body has a longer threaded portion, so tho both heads and bodies are swappable, neither will turn on. The circuit board as seen from looking into the head is clean, cleaner than the P1. It has 2 solder areas, but they're not huge or blobby like on the P1. The circuit/light engine can be easily removed by unscrewing it as shown in Waion's thread in the Dealers forum. The light seems very modder friendly should anyone feel the desire to do so. There is a spring at the bottom of the battery tube to hold the battery and prevent rattling. I prefer this design over the nipple used in the Jet1 and P1. My bro-in-law recently dented the bottom of the cell in his P1 by turning it too much. I think the spring would prevent that, along with addressing battery rattle issues.

Aesthetics/Exterior Design/Ergonomics - The crenellated bezel is nice and adds a bit of character and uniqueness to distinguish itself from the Jet1 it's very similar to. The bottom has a threaded portion for a tripod just like the Jet1 123A. The OD of the reflector is a bit smaller than that of the Jet1 and P1, but the metal around the reflector (thickness of the tube) is very thick. The reflector isn't as deep either as the Jet1's, but similar in depth to the P1. I haven't tested throw yet. Overall, I love the look of it tho I like the darker finish of the Jet1 more. Still, an amazing deal. The head is smooth like the Jet1, so using it one handed when your hands are wet or sweaty might be a bit tough. The body is easy to grab and hold tho, easier than the Jet1 because it's both knurled and has machined flats. There are 3 flats like on the Jet1, but they're much smaller than on the Jet1.

Beam, tint, output – I tested it against my Jet1 in my lab (bathroom). Both on primary 123As, the Jet1 is brighter (estimated to be about 45-50lms). Both on Li-Ion R123As (the new ones from Dae fit perfectly in both my Jet1 and Luxogen), the Jet1 is brighter again (estimated to be about 70lms).
The Luxogen LR5-3W on R123A is about as bright, perhaps a bit brighter than my Jet1 on primary 123A. Given this, it seems to have similar output to the Fenix P1 (which ranks similarly against the Jet1 where on R123A it is about as bright as the Jet1 on a primary 123A). I'd estimate it to be about 40lms on primary 123A and about 50-55lms on R123A (same as the P1). I haven't tested it against the P1 yet since my fiance carries the P1 and she's out shopping right now (oh no!). Tint on one was very white, similar to my Jet1. The other one is a bit green, but Waion informed me of this before he shipped them. It's actually not as green as I had been expecting and I actually don't mind the tint too much as green tints lend a bit better to distinguishing the various shades of green when looking at trees/shrubs/foliage/etc. I may change out the LED later if the tint really bothers me since the light engine is easily removable as stated above.
Edit - I tested the Luxogen against the P1 last night and sure enough, about the same performance on primary and LiIon. I prefer the greener tint of the Luxogen to the purply tint of my P1, but that's all in the Lux lottery.

Other info - I purchased two of the HAIII Nat versions from Waion. A Black TypeII anodized version is also available for $24.95, but for only $4 more, I couldn't resist the HA version. I let my dad choose the one he wanted and chose the whiter tint one, so he'll be enjoying that one at work now. He used to carry a Pelican M1 2310 (old version with side clicky) with him at work. I bought him the PM1 to be used at home, so when I found out he was carrying it to work, I wanted to get him a smaller light. I'm keeping the greener tinted one. Considering how well it seems to be made, output similar to P1, the great style/design (I prefer this design over the P1), and the price, I think this is the BEST ultra-small single 123A light available!

Edit - I received new 1mm x 10mm o-rings from Waion and they work great. No binding at all now, even when twisting fast. And I got them extremely fast...Waion's customer service is amazing. I'm liking the LR5-3W more and more.

PICS!!!

Fenix P1, Jetbeam Jet1, Luxogen LR5-3W
picture001pn6.jpg

Bezel End
picture002ok0.jpg

Tail End
picture003lh1.jpg

picture004qn8.jpg

picture005um6.jpg

Down battery tube/body - Spring at bottom
picture006eg5.jpg

Circuit in Head
picture007fq5.jpg

Left = Luxogen, Right = Fenix P1
picture008lj7.jpg

picture009hx3.jpg

Beamshots outdoors at my tree covered fence approximately 32-35ft away:

Luxogen LR5-3W
luxogenlr530ftrl6.jpg

Fenix P1
fenixp130ftyx6.jpg

Luxogen LR5-3W underexposed (max underexposure of my camera)
luxogenlr530ftexpxm2.jpg

Fenix P1 underexposed
fenixp130ftexprf4.jpg

Last edited:

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
Re: Review - Luxogen LR5-3W

I have one with the black finish. It is a very nice light but to me is not as good as the P1 for the following reasons. The black finish is too shiny and smooth. The head does not have any knurling. Because of the shiny finish and no knurling on the head one handed operation is not nearly as easy as the P1. The HAIII natural finsih that is only a few dollars more may eliminate much of this problem. If they would have done the same knurling on the head that they have on the short body it would be easier to turn on and off one handed. Knurling on the rather long head to match that on the short body would also look nicer. If I remove the O-ring it does turn much easier. This light can be used one handed but it is not as easy as the P1. It also does not have the very positive transition from on to off that the P1 has. If you turn it off half a turn it comes on when you push or pull the head in towards the body. This sounds like it would be a nice feature except that when you are turning it on one handed it often comes on while turning the head but goes out as soon as you release your finger pressure on the head of the light. The black shiny finish does not look as nice as the flat black anodized finish on my P1. The Luxogen is about a quarter inch longer than the P1. This does not seem like much but it is noticeably larger and less comfortable for pocket carry. Last complaint is sort of trivial but to me the name Luxogen just does not sound like a high quality product. All in all this is a very good light for the price but IMO the Fenix P1 is enough better to be worth spending the extra money. As a confirmed flashaholic I am happy owning both of these lights and dozens of others. The Fenix P1 will stay in my pocket until something smaller and brighter and better comes along at a good price.
jc

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review - Luxogen LR5-3W

jc - I agree on the ease of 1-handed use and commented on that in my review. The Jet1 is also quite smooth. I do think the Luxogen should've added knurling on the head to improve upon the Jet1's design instead of copying it, but I don't mind the smoothness that much since I'm used to the Jet1 already. The P1 IS easier to twist 1-handed tho, but I prefer the aesthetics of the Luxogen over the P1. On mine, the off-on transition is quite positive on a primary. On a R123A, I need to twist it a bit more than on a primary to turn it on, may be due to the spring and how the bottom of a LiIon cell isn't recessed as much as on a primary. The off-on transition isn't as positive with a R123A, but still fine for me. Both my Luxogens are easy to turn even with the o-ring. I think Waion mentioned there was a change made to the HA versions that reduced the binding of the o-ring...this may have altered the smoothness of the twisting with the o-ring on also. Considering the normal pricing for the P1 ($45) and Luxogen ($29), I think the Luxogen is a better value. Of course, value is individually perceived and evaluated.

Update on my Luxogen LR5-3W - when my fiance came home, I showed her the Luxogen and she immediately took it to replace her P1. So now, I have an extra P1 as she'll be carrying the Luxogen.

phosphor

Enlightened
Re: Review - Luxogen LR5-3W with Pics and Beamshots

Terrific review ! I always get a useful sense of how a light will perform in the
"real world" from all your reviews. I appreciate that !

-Regards

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks phosphor! I always wondered if anyone actually paid attention to my reviews...they tend to not get much reads or followup posts. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. I'll see how the finish holds up in my fiance's purse. She keeps the light attached to a large set of keys, along with a leatherman micra.

JackJ

Newly Enlightened

Even with the pics, I'm having a hard time comparing the output to the P1--would you sy the luxogen has a more diffuse hotspot, and thus (maybe?) less throw. That's what I think I'm seeing.

Sidespill looks similar. Does that hold true in person?

Thanks!

Jack

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

seems to be no reason to buy the fenix over this :nana: fenix :nana:

-david

Last edited:

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened

I'll pick one up as soon as it is available again... keep missing waion's availability posts... i've got all fenix except the L1T and L2T.... This will complement the Natural Fenix P1 that I have along with the natural E1.... I think the camera mount feature is pretty nifty and will find use by me as i have those mini flexible-leg camera tripods. I'm beginning to dig the HAIII finish more than the black finish... just ordered a Huntlight FT-02X HAIII from JS Burly's too. Will stop flashlight buying spree with this one....hopefully.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

JackJ - The hotspot area is about the same between the LR5-3W and P1, but you're correct that the P1 is a bit more focused in the center while LR5 is more diffused within the hotspot areas. For throw, I checked both indoors and outdoors. I shined it at a plant about 30-35ft away and couldn't tell which was brighter. To my eyes, the LR5 was brighter, but it may be the green tint that provides better color rendition making the plant look brighter. Outdoors, the P1 does look a tad brighter at distance shined against my white fence than the LR5, but when I say tad, I really mean a minor amount. I'll try to test them out tonight at a longer distance...about 60ft.

VF1 - I'm looking forward to a review of the FT02X. As for stopping flashlight purchases, I said that several times already, the latest was after my SF Z2 and these Luxogen purchases, but now I have a SF C2 on the way...D'oh!!!

Terry_Dodson

Newly Enlightened

JSR would it be possible for you to take some beamshots when you test it outside so we can see how they compare in a real world enviroment?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Terry - I'll try to, but not sure when I'll be able to do it. My white fence has a small area that's not covered by trees, I'll try taking a pic there...but I'm not sure when I'll be able to upload the pic. My laptop at home can't read my camera or memory card readers, so I have to bring it to work, but I'm changing jobs in a couple of weeks also. I'll try to get it done hopefully this week, but things are really busy.

waion

Newly Enlightened

JSR, thanks so much for the pictures and detailed description. I myself haven't seen a side by side beamshot comparison between my light and Fenix P1 until now.

Luxson

Newly Enlightened

Nice review Jsr! One question which is important to me, does the Luxogen has a flat discharge regulated curve similar to the P1? Sorry but I am fussy about this, I don't want to change battery every 15 mins or so. Thanks.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Luxson - sorry, I don't know how the discharge curve is. I don't have a lux meter or other light meter to measure and log output. I haven't seen it dim tho, but I know that's not much reassurance. Hopefully someone else with the appropriate equipment will do a runtime test soon.

Luxson

Newly Enlightened

No problem jsr. Thank you for your prompt reply. Since your bio-light meter perceived to be flat discharge is good enough. :goodjob:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Updated with outdoor beamshots at normal and max underexposure from about 33-35ft away comparing Luxogen LR5 to Fenix P1.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem Terry. Sorry for the fuzziness...it's harder than I thought to hold the light and take a picture simultaneously. In the underexposed shot, you can see the P1 is brighter at that distance. However, I used my Luxogen last night to take out the trash and could still see the address plate on my neighbors house across the street about 60+ft away. Not super brightly, but I could see it ok. I don't expect too much throw from lights so small.

Last edited: