G3R

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
(read last post by me for my plans)

If I buy the AN14 (only $6.50 at LPS!) how many 123's will fit in then? 4? Four would be awesome as I could use 4 1000 mAh 123 size cells for pretty much the same performance, except MAYBE lower runtime. If somebody could, tell me the length of the tube so I know how many of what kind of batteries I can fit in there.

Thanks,
Spud

Oh, also, does anyone know the cheapest source to get 2/3 A NiMH? I found a source that is $2 each plus $5.50 s&h, or if you buy 16 of the 1000 mAH it is $18 or $21 for 1100 mAH plus $7.50 s&h. I guess if I paid $13 for 4 to turn my G2 into a G2R I would be saving a LOT of money since I could just somehow wire up a holder to use the individual batts in my Rayovac charger

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A-14 will not allow for an extra 123 it will only allow you to use a 6volt body with the 6volt rechargeable kit. If you want to add extra 123's get the A-19.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Ok, thanks. Lets see 2 and 1/16 times 25.4=52.5mm. That is almost exactly 1.5 123's..so lets see, I have a total of 122mm or so to work with. I've seen several 2/3 A's that are around 30mm and I have 30.4mm each to work with, so it looks like I can make my own pack that is higher capacity. Yay. Mainly I'll be saving money on the charger I guess.

Spud

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Well, no, the surefire website even says the AN14 is a body extending adapter. I just want to know how much it extends the body, it looks like the G2R battery is 4 2/3A NiCd's. Does the AN14 extend about 2 123 lengths, 1.5, or what? I guess somebody could just tell me how many mm long a B65 is and then I can figure out how many 123's that would equate to.

Spud

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 1.5 I will measure it when I get home from work unless someone beats me to it.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Well, I figure with a bit more money (around probably $60 or so total including the G2) I can make a G3R. I am thinking 2 AN14's will give me the length of 5 123 batts. I have found a website (only one, and can't find it right now but can later search my history) that was selling 1800 mAH NiMH 2/3A's. 5 would be about 6 volts nominal and Brocks site shows a p91 at 6.25 volts under load at 2.35 amps. I figure I could probably get 40 minutes runtime (not continuous). I think the max you would want to do with the lexan bezel would be a couple minutes at a time, but you could put on a G2Z (pyrex right?) and probably do 10 minutes without anything too much. Granted, it is going to be fairly long (what, about 7 or 8 inches, maybe 9?) but it would run for free, put out 200 lumens, and would surprise even the people who know surefires. How much does a G2 pyrex bezel cost and where can I get one for cheap?

Spud

(oh, those 2/3 A 1800mAH batts were about $4 each, I'll try to find the site later)

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
but that is just an aluminum piece like the p series right? I don't think that would quite look right on the G2. Plus 2 AN14's would only be $13 SHIPPED from LPS. Unless I could find some A19's for real cheap (and I doubt I could) I wouldn't do that as I would have no other use for them if they didn't work and they would look odd. The AN14 still looks like G2 with the checkered nitrolon. I doubt I'll be doing this any time soon as it will cost $25 (shipped) in batts (unless I went with the 1000 mAH I could get for $16 shipped) and $22 for the p91 shipped, so it would cost a MINIMUM of another $40, and likely more as I would need a pyrex bezel most likely. It would be an interesting project though, and I might try it depending on if I make any decent summer money or when I get a co-op job.

Spud