from G2 to c3 worth upgrade for the extra 40 lumen

Size15's

Flashaholic
The P90/P91 beams are larger (larger central beam) than the P60/P61 beams and the surround beams are brighter.

In my experience this means I can see more, more quickly (less panning of the beam to illuminate things - the larger beam reduces the need to pan so much. If this is useful to you then go for it. But if you want to see the same thing in more detail, or see things further away then the P90/P91 is not what you're looking for.

Does this help?

the fuzz

Enlightened
thanks for the feed back

Size15's you wrote
"But if you want to see the same thing in more detail,things further away then the P90/P91 is not what you're looking for."

The above is exactly what i would like to achieve.
Any suggestions on a SF torch for this, or HDS?

Or would a KT2 + a c3 achieve what i wouldlike

Does Sf sell a turbo head for the G2?

Thanks again

the fuzz

Last edited:

JanCPF

Enlightened
Just on a side note: AFAIK The P90 (perhaps also the P91) has an oval hotspot, whereas P60 has a perfect round hotspot. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the KT turbo heads (KT1 or KT2) would fit on the G2 body. Not 100% positive but I think so.

Curtis

BigBaller

Enlightened
If you want more incan throw than a P90 then you'll have to step up to a turbohead. My P90 throws an oval, havnt tried a P91 yet. Yes the Kt-2 will fit a G2. The G2 uses the same body as the C/P series so it has all the same modularity. I'm sure Al will be along with a picture of said setup shortly.

xring

Newly Enlightened
I once had a C3 and added the M2 bezel. Used the same P90 lamp. There was a substantial increase in throw and overall illumination to my eyes.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P60 also produces an oval beam, but not as oval as the P90. Like Size15 said, the P90 just makes more light everywhere, but doesn't really throw any further.
Regarding the M2 bezel, I thought it uses the same LA (and thus reflector) as the standard 2-cells and thus I don't see how it would increase throw.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P60 also produces an oval beam, but not as oval as the P90. Like Size15 said, the P90 just makes more light everywhere, but doesn't really throw any further.
Regarding the M2 bezel, I thought it uses the same LA (and thus reflector) as the standard 2-cells and thus I don't see how it would increase throw?

the fuzz

Enlightened
Ok another comparison,
Any difference b/t the c3 and [m3 (non turbos)] throw (using LOLa), or once again is it slight over all output as well.
As in australia the c3 is $170 usa cheaper then m3
Costs of these lights are
c3 =$167 usa
m3 (non turbo) =$370 usa
m3 turbo =$459 usa

Im thinking of cost to upgrade against added benifits

Thanks again
I apreciate any opinions on this subject

Last edited:

BigBaller

Enlightened
You can do alot more with a C3, theres way more options for it. You could just get the C3 for now and upgrade as your budget allows.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M3 is quite different than the C3 and is not analogous to the M2/C2.

The M3 is a Millennium series light and uses the MN series lamps. These lamps produce an elliptical beam, but due to the larger and deeper reflector, it has more throw and output.

The M2 is a C2 with shock isolation. The M3 uses 3 cells which is the main thing in common with the C3.

If you start with an M3T, (more throw) and add an M3 bezel you can have both an M3T and an M3 big Lego set. Or you can reverse the procedure.

Mark

Last edited:

Mad1

Enlightened
On the subject of Turbo heads and the G2 would a KT1 fit a G2 and would an A19 fit a G2?

Also what is the max size (lumen wise) bulb I could put in a KT1?

Thanks. :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes, the KT1 fits and functions great on the G2.
SureFire%20G2-KT1%20&%20others%2064.jpg

If you put an A19 body extender on the G2 you can use the KT2 on three-SF123A batteries. Much better in my opinion.

SureFire%20G2-old%20A19-KT2%2064.jpg

SureFire%20G2-YL%20A19%20KT2%2064.jpg

Note that not all A19 / G2 combinations work - the only way to know is to try an A19 with your G2. The 6P+A19 combination works great.

Al

BargainMonkey

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure how much Streamlights go for in Australia, but you could also consider the TL-3. You should be able to get the whole light cheaper than buying just the turbo head and it should have similar throw. I like Surefires better, but the Streamlights I've seen have been very nice.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi Fuzz :) Can I ask if you have any Surefires already? Just so we can suggest some better 'lego' solutions based on what you already have.

I've got a number of Surefires in the category you're looking for including the G2, G2z, 6p, M3, 9p and M6.

Some Questions:

1. Are you intending to purchase only one Surefire, or are you likely to 'get the bug' and get more Surefires later on? For example if you get an L6, a M6 and an A19 body extender (with the correct lamp assemblies) You would have a L6, M3T, M4, M6 as well as being able to put the KL6 led on any combination of those bodies.

2. Do you intend to carry it e.g. pocket or holster or is it a car / house / bedside / WOW! light?

3. Do you like plastic or metal? If you don't really mind, the nitrolon body is more durable than metal to both shock and being scratched (not to mention being less likely to scratch other items). It also goes better in the cold.

Something else to add in is that you do know that you can put a P61 lamp in the G2 to make it put out 120 lumens, but it will only run for about 20 minutes. Conversely in the C3 the high output P91 also puts out 200 lumens. Both are Surefire products.

I only ever put the high output lamps in my Surefires, I bought mine to be the brightest! You do notice a difference in brightness between 120 lumens in a G2 and 200 lumens (in my 9p - same lamp as the high output in the C3).

Between the G2 and C3 I would buy the G2 (make sure it is the new LOTC version) hands down because of its size, durability, and you can normally find them at great places on the buy and sell section of these forums. Pick up a P61 and instant pocket rocket!

The reason I got the 9p and the G2 is that my M3 (and the C3 is similar) is not as 'pocketable' as the other two. Mind you that was only my excuse, my pocket light is my L4 ;)

My logic is two is one, one is none. I'd get a G2: later on you can look at getting a C3, an A19 and turbohead for the g2, or go for the millennium series.

I haven't seen the turbohead on the G2, but according to opinions i've read you are better off getting the turbohead in a 3 cell or more configuration to see any substantial differences over the plain G2.

Either way the G2 can always be put in the car or on the bedside if you get something else later on ;)

Just my 2 cents based on the information so far :)

the fuzz

Enlightened
HI LIGHTMUP

I like to have one torch but make it versatile with what i need at the time. I.e eg having a G2 (or possibly a C3) and adding TH, or KL3, or etc. Instead of buying 3 to 4 seperate torches for different things.

I intend to use it as an EDC

Plastic metal doesnt matter.

I thought the C3 is pocketable?

i already have a G2 and wondering if it was worth it to upgrade to C3
I intend to purchase a turbo head and get the 225 lumens and use it exclusively for the TH. also going to buy a KL3.
I also know i require 1x A-19 for a C3 to use a Th 225 lumens.
I know if i will use my G2 for the above i should get 2x A-19s. (But can you connect 2 a-19 together?)
But i like the idea of using a minimum lamp of of 105 lumen (c3) as appose a 65 lumen (g2).

The bezel diameter on the C3 and G2 are the same . So does that mean the beam characterstic of the two exactly the same except for the intinsity (65 lumens compared to 105 lumens).
Just wondering .

the fuzz

lightplay22

Enlightened
I just got a C3 about a week ago and comparing a p90 to the p60 in the back yard, I see a substantial increase in the size of the wall of light. It just seems bigger and larger. Swaping in the p91 bulb makes for an even larger and more intense wall of light, truly a flood-like illumination of a large area.
The C3 does have a pocket clip and can be carried comfortably while standing, but the extra length will be noticied when you have to sit down.

Happy shopping!