DealExtreme        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HuntLight FT02X and FT-A3, Many Pictures!!

Default HuntLight FT02X and FT-A3, Many Pictures!!

I just got the HuntLight FT02X and FT-A3 from, http://www.huntlight.net/index.htm

Shipping took 1 week to Southern California.

-----------------------------------------------------------

FT02X

Using a 3-watt 100,000-hour T bin Luxeon LED, no need for a fragile incandescent bulb
    Maximum brightness: 80 Lumens
    One 3V CR 123A or two 1.5V AA ( Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium ) battery , inexpensive and widely available
    4-hour working time
    153mm (L) x 26mm (D) or 88mm (L)X26 mm(D)
    Constructed of aircraft grade aluminum
    Type II hard anodized finish, highly durable
    80-gram weight
    Waterproof
    Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating
    Push-button tail cap switch
    Colour: Black
    Included Accessories: Belt Pouch, Lanyard, Extra O-Rings

Specs from HuntLight website.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top, FT02X Bottom, FT-01

Left, FT-01 Right, FT02X with CR123A Battery Tube ( Using RCR123 ) @ 5"

Left, FT01 Right, FT02X with 2AA Battery Tube @ 5"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FT-A3

Using a 1-watt 100,000-hour R bin Luxeon LED, no need for a fragile incandescent bulb
    Maximum brightness: 45 Lumens
    One 1.5V AAA ( Alkaline, Ni-MH) battery , inexpensive and widely available
    1-hour working time
    7cm (L) x 1.4cm (D)
    Constructed of aircraft grade aluminum
    Type III hard anodized finish, highly durable
    14-gram weight
    Waterproof
    Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating
    Twist head on/off
    Capable of standing up firmly on a flat surface to serve as a candle
    Included Accessories: Lanyard, Extra O-Rings.

Specs from the HuntLight website

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

FT-A3

Top, FT-A3 Bottom, Fenix LOP

Left, FT-A3 Right, Fenix LOP @ 5"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Received this extra gift.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fit and finish on both lights are excellent!

HAIII finish is excellent, No visible flaws,

A great value for the price!!

I haven't had much time to check out these lights. I just received the lights 2 hours ago.
    Last edited by ernsanada; 08-07-2006 at 05:50 PM.

Default Re: HuntLight FT02X and FT-A3, Many Pictures!!

My " HuntLight Family "

Cool Re: HuntLight FT02X and FT-A3, Many Pictures!!

nice pics... how does the ft02x compare to say... the fenix p1? E1L?

-david

I do not have an E1L but I have a Fenix P1.

Left, Fenix P1 Right, FT02X @ 5"

Left, Fenix P1 Right, FT02X @ 84"

To my "naked eye" the FT02X edges out the P1 at a distance.

Flashaholic

Damn those look like great lights for the money. Thanks for the review.

Cheers

JonSidneyB (JSBurly's) is the new US Dealer for these:

JSBurly's Flashlights, LED lights page

Flashaholic

Is there a belt pouch for the FT02X or your FT-01? They've had it listed in all the descriptions I've read, but I've yet to see one.

Have you broken down the head on the FT02X? Curious if it would be as easy an emitter swap as the FT-01 looks.

Flashaholic*

Very nice lights! I especially like the FT02X. I'm interested to see the light torn apart also (separated into its sections).
    From looking at the beamshots, the FT01 looks brighter than the FT02X. Is this correct?
    Streamlight: TL-3 Xenon, Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1, Scorpion LED SSC P4, KeyMate Silver (Nichia CS)
    Nuwai: 2x QIII TWOH (Green and Titanium), TM-313X Ti (QV1J DD 14500)
    Surefire: M2+C2-HA+Detonator, E2D, VG FB1+EXe, VG FB3+E2C+C2
    Vital Gear F2, Huntlight FT01, Jetbeam Jet1 AA and 123A, Fenix E1 (Silver), Luxogen LR5A-3W & LR12 CR2 (SCC P4), Spiderfire LR8, NexTorch Z1, Gerber Infinity Ultra (2x Green), Dae's UV 12LED
    Emergency Kit & Knives Pics - Lights & Knives Pics - Small Knife/Lights

They look awesome, how is the runtime and regulation? is it HA3?
    I miss my Milkmods.

Just purchased my Huntlight FT-A3 from Jon. Pretty excited about it. I haven't seen a production light with this much output before.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyT
    Is there a belt pouch for the FT02X or your FT-01? They've had it listed in all the descriptions I've read, but I've yet to see one.

Have you broken down the head on the FT02X? Curious if it would be as easy an emitter swap as the FT-01 looks.
    The FT02X is supposed to come with a belt pouch but I did not receive one.

Haven't broke down the FT02X yet. Might try later.

Quote Originally Posted by skalomax
    They look awesome, how is the runtime and regulation? is it HA3?
    I haven't done any runtimes. Not sure about the regulation.

Both lights are HAIII with no noticiable flaws in coating.

Quote Originally Posted by jsr
    Very nice lights! I especially like the FT02X. I'm interested to see the light torn apart also (separated into its sections).
    From looking at the beamshots, the FT01 looks brighter than the FT02X. Is this correct?
    I will take apart the light after I get back from work and take some pictures.

The FT01 looks a little brighter. I have the first generation FT01, lower output.

Quote Originally Posted by Death's Head
    Just purchased my Huntlight FT-A3 from Jon. Pretty excited about it. I haven't seen a production light with this much output before.
    The FT-03 seems a little brighter than the Fenix LOP, nothing to be excited about.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ernsanada
    The FT-03 seems a little brighter than the Fenix LOP, nothing to be excited about.
    What's the runtime on the FT-A3?

Don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm curious to hear your experience with the FT-A3. I recently picked one up from seriouslights.com.

On mine, overall brightness is about 10% more than the L0P (which I also own). Similar to your pics, my FT-A3 has a slightly broader main beam, and slightly greater intensity spill (although total spillbeam dimensions are roughly the same, like yours). However, the peak centre throw is a little less than the L0P, so the overall lightbox reading only comes out about 10% more.

It terms of runtime to 50%, I get 32mins on Duracell alkaline, 29mins on Powerizer 850mA NiMH rechargeables, 32mins on Energizer 900mA NIMH, and 56mins on Energizer e2 lithium (L92). Note that although alkaline runtime is comparable to the L0P, the NiMH and L92 is considerably less than others here have reported for the L0P (and which I have confirmed in my own testing).

Despite the lower performance on NiMH, I must say my FT-A3 has a beautiful beam. Definitely the brightest AAA I've ever seen. The finish on mine is also very nice - sturdier looking than the Fenix, with a glossier finish (not as matte as the Fenix). I've EDC it on my keychain for a couple of weeks now, and am very happy with it - very scratch resistant. My wife carries the L0P, in case you were wondering.

Again, sorry if this is bad etiquette to post my results here, but I didn't think it was worth starting a whole new thread since you already had the ball rolling.

Flashaholic*

selfbuilt - What are your runtime numbers for the L0P? According to FLR, the L0P reached 50% in 32min on alkaline which seems equal to your numbers.

ersanada - thanks, I forgot you have the previous version FT01. If you want to take a look at the newer version FT01, let me know, I'm not too far from you.
    Streamlight: TL-3 Xenon, Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1, Scorpion LED SSC P4, KeyMate Silver (Nichia CS)
    Vital Gear F2, Huntlight FT01, Jetbeam Jet1 AA and 123A, Fenix E1 (Silver), Luxogen LR5A-3W & LR12 CR2 (SCC P4), Spiderfire LR8, NexTorch Z1, Gerber Infinity Ultra (2x Green), Dae's UV 12LED

Flashaholic

Oooooh yeaah!!! Can't wait till my FT-02x comes in... Hope it's not a 3 week wait like when I ordered my FT-01 from Seriouslights .... It'll be about same price as my Fenix L2P and CR123a body combo but with a bigger head, 3watt emitter, and built in clip... My Fenix L2P w/ CR123a body will of course be the more compact single cell clickie...

I'd just realized I'll have a family plethora of lights and all for less than the price of single certain surefires ( i may just get one in the future just to say i have a surefire, or maybe not)....
    Darkness is the lack of light.

FT02X

Light module cam be unscrewed from the relector.

Back of light module. Potted.

Talking Re: HuntLight FT02X and FT-A3, Many Pictures!!

Selfbuilt,

I really like the design and HAIII is flawless on my FT-A3.

I agree with you on the brightness, I say about a 10% increase compared to the LOP.

Thanks for the runtimes!

I never get around to do runtimes because I always get another light to mess around with.

Got my lights from HuntLight, 7 days to Socal!

ernsanada: Too many lights, too little time ... hard to get all those run times in! Definitely a nice light, beautiful beam and finish.

jsr: I didn't want to post my L0P results originally, since mine is better than most (i.e. I get over 1 hour to 50% on both alkaline and NiMH), so it gives a skewed impression of the HT-A3. Based on the reliable results I've seen here and on FR for the L0P, it seems most people get about 30-35mins on alkaline, 50-60mins on NiMH, and 90-105mins on L92 lithiums. So the FT-A3 is comparable on alkalines, but underperforms on NiMH and Lithium.

That being said, although my L0P runs a lot longer to 50%, the FT-A3 is better regulated (i.e. stays higher longer, before dropping off rapidly). The L0P seems to be only semi-regulated at best (my L0P curves look a lot like Quickbeam's, only over a longer period of time, whereas the FT-A3 looks more typical of a regulated light).

Also, the FT-A3 gets hotter in usage ... I measure exterior head temps on all my lights with a thermal probe while doing runtimes, and the FT-A3 is at least 7-8 degrees C warmer than the L0P (i.e. 45C vs 38C). I've noticed a similar trend on other lights that don't have the runtimes you'd expect - they are usually hotter in operation (less efficient maybe?).

Flashaholic

Is someone here capable of making a runtime plot of the L0P Vs. FT-A3?

Flashaholic*

selfbuilt - thanks for the additional info. I suspect the FT-A3 isn't really less efficient, but simply sourcing more current to the LED. If the runtime curve is flatter, it's likely more efficient, but that efficiency may just be getting cancelled by the additional current draw. Either that, or the heatsinking is better and allowing more heat to get to the body for dissipation. Or a combo of both.

FT-A3

I got both lights from HuntLight.

The FT02X, did not receive the spare rubber boot, holster, and o rings. Only the lanyard came with the light.

The FT-A3, never received the spare o rings.

Emailed HuntLight but have not received a reply.

Flashaholic*

I never received a spare rubber boot, holster, or o-rings for either of my FT01s. I did request for all the items once, and only received o-rings for one of my FT01s, so still no holsters, rubber boots, or 1 more set of o-rings.

vic303

Top, QIII. Bottom, FT02X

Left, QIII Right, FT02X, both lights using Surefire CR123A's @ 5"

Left, QIII Right, FT02X , both lights using Surefire CR123A's @ 71"

Flashaholic

Thanks Ernsenada! That's some interesting results on the QIII v. FT02x. And you were correct--I wanted to see primary cr123's and not the rechargeables. Odd that the Huntlight has a much larger 'corona' in the close up 5" shot, and a larger hotspot in the longshot. I like it! Tint appears decent too. Have you checked the bin on yours?
    Spark headlamp,712-L headlamp,D25c mini,Fenix PD35, E+Lite, Zipka, Novatac 85T.

Quote Originally Posted by vic303
    Thanks Ernsenada! That's some interesting results on the QIII v. FT02x. And you were correct--I wanted to see primary cr123's and not the rechargeables. Odd that the Huntlight has a much larger 'corona' in the close up 5" shot, and a larger hotspot in the longshot. I like it! Tint appears decent too. Have you checked the bin on yours?
    I haven't checked the Bin but it's supposed to be a "T Bin".

Cool Re: HuntLight FT02X and FT-A3, Many Pictures!!

hmm.... wonder how it compares to amilite. (ft02x)

-David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast