I can't hold back any longer!

Wylie

Enlightened
I can\'t hold back any longer!

This may be a little premature but I cannot contain myself any longer.
icon15.gif
In a few previous posts I have mentioned some optics I have been working on and I am very happy with the way things are going.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
It looks as though I should be able to make optics in three to nine different sizes ranging from maybe a quarter inch in diameter to three inches for the low dome bat winged Luxeon Star LEDs. I will have to get my hands on some different types of high output LEDs in order to see if I will be able to make my optics work for them as well, I think I will have no problems with different LEDs as far as I can tell. Once I have these LEDs I will have to make some tools for each of the different LEDs and this will probably end up involving many different models on my optics. My optics will not work with the 3 and 5 millimeter LEDs, this I do know. I have some pictures I have just sent into a picture host of my optics compared to the NX05 optics
icon13.gif
and will post a link to them just as soon as I get word they have been published. I could also email them to another member as the hosts I use for picture posting do not work well with posting the pictures directly to my postings.
confused.gif

Keeping it real, Bright
grin.gif
Wylie

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I can\'t hold back any longer!

Wylie, if you need a picture host, I can host them on my server for ya.

I'll be watching your developments with great interest! Thanks for sharing
grin.gif
icon14.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Would you be able to make optics that will fit in a AAA Minimag? I have an Inretech LS adapter for a AAA MiniMag. Currently it has no optics other than the half of the reflector that is left after cutting it out to fit around the LS led.

Wylie

Enlightened

Roy,
Man that was quick!
What would the inside dimentions of the AAA lens housing be from the top of the plastic base around the LEDs lens to the back of the flat lens where the light is emitted? I will also need the diameter of the inside as well. I have not yet toyed around with the quarter inch optics but I am pretty sure they would fit nicely, I just want to make sure I can produce them first. The quarter inch will be the hardest to set up if I am able to. It looks as though three eighth inch optics I should be able to set up. These optics I am making do not have there own housings they just mount either in the lens housings or glue directly to the base of the LED with heat resistant epoxy (Artic Alumina).
I think I am going to end up being very busy with these if this is any indiction.

Wylie

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

excellent!

i may very well be interested in some of these optics.

keep us informed!

Bob

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

It would probably be easier if I loaned you the modified AAA Minimag! If you're willing, e-mail me a mailing addess and I'll ship it out to you.

Wylie

Enlightened

I just sent off the email Roy. I will be able to do some comparison beam shots this way too. Give me a couple of weeks as I may have other tools to make for this little project. Your a genius Roy!
grin.gif
This is going to be good!
Keeping it real, bright
icon14.gif
Wylie

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

wow, i like those beams!

how do these compare in size to the current optics? would it be possible to post pictures?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those look good Wylie. I like how the beam is an even brightness all the way across. To me the NX05 is nearly too bright in the center to be useful and too dim in the corona to be useful.

I think we are going to be seeing lots of new collimator options soon!
cool.gif

Wylie

Enlightened

Okay let me try this again, Google's servers just went down for a minute or two and my last post was lost.
mad.gif

Rothrandir,
I think I opened my mouth too soon to be honest with you I still have a lot of work to do. I have done nothing as of yet to protect this idea and I have a lot of tools to make and perfect as I have only made the 3/4" size for the low dome bat wing L/S last night.
As far as diameter I can tell you the 1/4 and 3/8" are still questionable with the 1/4" being more so. 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1, 1-1/4, 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 and 3-inch sizes should be very feasible. If I were to take a stab at retail price at this time as I should not but I have opened my mouth already so I would say the price range should be from $2 for the 1/2" to something like $40 for the three inch. I hope I am not sticking my foot in my mouth again but the 3/4" is going to be an easy retro for the NX05's, that is if the housings for the NX05's is the right inside diameter. As far as I would imagine all of the viewing angles would be pretty tight as the 3/4s I have made match the NX05 pretty much spot on.

Slick the profit,
smile.gif

I seen your other post where you were predicting new optics and you must be like psychic or what man? Thanks for the compliments, I have spent a bunch of hours in the dark now and it is nice to have my work rewarded.

Time to order some materials I got to get to work on these things and quick the way it is looking.
All kinds of nervous now but still keeping it real bright,
Wylie

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm... I'd like to see one that will fit perfectly in a Brinkmann NexStar 2C... Or a M*g 2C...
smile.gif

Jon

Wylie

Enlightened

LED mods As Small As Possible,
I like a good challenge every once in a while as long as it doesn't take all of my time.(Very much unlike a few things I have got involded with
icon3.gif
) I hope to use the lens cover so the optics are protected. The 5mm space is going to be real tight but with a little luck I think I can pull it off. That is a pill in that AAA right?

Rothrandir,
I have only spent about fourty to fifty hours in the dark playing with this so far but now the real work comes. I am a firm believer in hast makes waste and I do not want to have to make tools twice so I will be taking my time with this. Thanks for the compliments too. Tabs, Tabs, what stinking tabs we don't need no stinking tabs.
yellowlaugh.gif

StoneDog,
I hope one of the sizes I have listed will end up fitting into your flashlights. I am trying to make these in as many sizes as possible so they will be able to be utilized for many different flashlights. The smaller they are the it will be to make these. I am thinking I may be able to bring them down to a quarter of an inch in diameter but only time will tell and I have wait for materials now.

Very Cool, thanks guys,
Wylie

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

This may be a difficult task, as the Solitaire is really really too small, I would say about 5mm from the lense to the rim of the battery tube. It doesn't leave much space to put optics other than a simple reflector plus whatever you can use to replace the cover lense.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i'm sure it is a lot of work and you are doing great. i'm in no hurry
grin.gif

um...these won't have a tab will they?