Battery Tester????

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
Here are some newbie (me) questions. I am interested in testing NIMH & non-charging lithiums, mainly AAA/AA. I do not want an expensive tester - idealy under $30.
After doing a search regarding battery testers in this forum I actually am more confused - so here goes:
1. Can you reliably test how much remaining charge either type has?
2. Can you reliably test the condition of the battery regarding relating to it's life cycle?

While I am at it:
3. Does it actually diminish the NIMH battery's life or charging ability to charge it more often or when it is only partially discharged? It seems that one of the advantages of a tester would be to know when it is best to charge it if this actually matters. Otherwise I would charge them more frequently just to make sure they were they did not run out.
Thanks for your help and patience.

Anders

Enlightened
Hi Hiker and welcome to CPF.

" 1. Can you reliably test how much remaining charge either type has?"

Yes with ZTS MBT-1 Battery Tester, ansmann also have a tester, only purchased in europe.

I think this cost 30 $ in a CPF-link
http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm

Here is one thread about it:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/122352

"
2. Can you reliably test the condition of the battery regarding relating to it's life cycle?"

Yes, but with another tester, CBA II.
http://www.westmountainradio.com/CBA.htm

The CBA II is not cheap but good.

"
3. Does it actually diminish the NIMH battery's life or charging ability to charge it more often or when it is only partially discharged? It seems that one of the advantages of a tester would be to know when it is best to charge it if this actually matters. Otherwise I would charge them more frequently just to make sure they were they did not run out."

You could charge your cells with your Vanson BC1HU every other week or so to maintain them fresh.

0,7 % per day according to Silverfox tests is the self discharge of new AA cells.

Anders

Last edited:

David_Campen

Enlightened
1. Can you reliably test how much remaining charge either type has?
With a ZTS MBT tester you may be able to distinguish batteries that are completely or almost completely discharged from batteries that are not.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
David_Campen said:
With a ZTS MBT tester you may be able to distinguish batteries that are completely or almost completely discharged from batteries that are not.
I notice that you never miss a chance to make a anti-ZTS statement! I agree that the Li AA terminal is a waste and I haven't followed the CR123A too close but the AA/AAA alkaline is very accurate. The Ni-MH wasn't too accurate, so it was returned where a new profile was installed under warranty and it's great now!