Acebeam
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The McLux has landed!

Default Re: The McLux has landed!

ok, if I didn't mention it: I am in for one!
    McFlood of course, both colors are quite ok for me.
    bernhard the greedy

Flashaholic*

And one other thing, a head that is not sealed so that we can swap Wayne's latest BBs in there from time to time. And it would be nice if they were waterproof? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I believe they have 1x123, 2x123, 3x123 versions. Someone did mention a longtail. That could be either 2x123 or 3x123 since this Mclux is a 1x123 version.

Why didn't anyone think of buying the torch and adding a turbo head with a perfect white LS 5 watter? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Guys, this setup is great! Even I want one! I've been designing my own EDC, and you've beaten me to it! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I love the EN, anyone can do black...

What I'd like to have is a unit with the front ring and body of EN, and the bezel in black for a two tone unit. McFlood with a 1W white, 1x123 power, and a BB400. Awesome! Turnkey for me...

I'm in!

...i don't even know what to write!

these things are bueatiful! i was going to put my christmas money towards a lathe... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

3 pages already...

Flashaholic*

Silver, McFlood, turnkey, PLEASE.

If you want cash up front, just email me an address, and amount. (Make check payable to SkunkLights Incorporated?)

Stainless

P.S. A WHITE output WOULD be nice.

Flashaholic

I'm in. Turnkey, DIY, whatever, but I've got to get in on this one. I've let alot of cool deals get by to let this one pass up, something that I'll EDC and put the smaller SFs on the shelf.

Who needs one of those silly over-priced A2s anyways..? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm in for turnkey, haven't decided yet between HA III and EN; maybe both (depends on price), but Luxeon quality is critical; I'd hate to end up with one of those purple pukers. This is a big enough deal for me that I'd be willing to pay premium $ for a really nice Luxeon.

Possible?

Brightnorm

Originally posted by Nerd:
    I believe they have 1x123, 2x123, 3x123 versions. Someone did mention a longtail. That could be either 2x123 or 3x123 since this Mclux is a 1x123 version.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">From McGizmo's site :

Note: Credit for the "LongTail" (3x123, 2xA, 2xAA) goes to Leo Wong, as he slipped this one in on the rest of us :-) We were able to talk him out of a 4xAA "Walking Stick".
    [img]graemlins/winkie.GIF[/img]

Cool Daddy Administrator

Ok, I've assimilated all the comments up to this point, and consumed an indeterminate amount of beer. After careful analysis, I've determined that there seems to be a modicum of interest in the McLux. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Most excellent!

You guys are very generous with your comments, and we appreciate all of them. We'll now have to hunker down and figure out just how to best handle the release in order to please the most folks.

cheers!

Enlightened

You guys are rich compared to me. Let me just say that I'm interested in the McLux, but there's a 95% chance I won't be able to afford it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Unless, of course, I've sold my 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope by the time sales start. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

James

Cool Daddy Administrator

Originally posted by Tree:
    How much $ BTW?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We're still trying to figure out how best to not lose our shirts on these. But we have it nailed down pretty well now:

More money than a Minimag, less money than an M6.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

This isn't a bargain light, that's for sure. But it has proven to be really big in the value department.

I'm afraid that the A2 will have to wait.

This is a must have!

Cool Daddy Administrator

So I can't really tell here - What do you guys like the best? Full black HA III, or the silver EN? We should try to get some better shots of the black up here. We figured that there would be some folks who would *have* to have the HA III.

Darell, if you're keeping a list, please put me on it. This is just too impressive to pass up.

TIA

Flashaholic*

Let's see... if it starts from $100 (which is nearly impossible for a custom run stuff) for the lowest end item (as if these stuff are low end in the first place), the highest one should be around $300? At least I wager... I won't be able to afford it either... sad...

Cool Daddy Administrator

We aren't keeping a list just yet. Just fishing for interest and comments. Now if we put these up for sale and we're still looking at our full little stock sitting around, we may just wade back through this thread and fire off some emails. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Just missed your last post, Darell.

More pics are always good. But, the ones you have of the black look very good, it would definitely be my choice.

Flashaholic*

Irresistible. I would not mind a DIY kit. I would love a reflectored 5W LS. This will be one of very few options (only one I know of) to get a fully driven 5W LS light (short of modding another light). HA III is my choice.

For all those thinking of 3x123 and 5W LS beware. You cannot use the badboys with 3x123 since the input voltage cannot exceed the Vf of the LED. Someone conk me on the head if I am mistaken.

Cheers.

EN for me.

Turnkey or DIY, it doesn't matter, as long as the DIY "kits" come with instructions on how to solder the LS to the board.

BTW, has the unit been tested for waterproofness?

Again, great work!!

Aloha

Originally posted by monanza:
    Irresistible. I would not mind a DIY kit. I would love a reflectored 5W LS. This will be one of very few options (only one I know of) to get a fully driven 5W LS light (short of modding another light). HA III is my choice.

For all those thinking of 3x123 and 5W LS beware. You cannot use the badboys with 3x123 since the input voltage cannot exceed the Vf of the LED. Someone conk me on the head if I am mistaken.

Cheers.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">oi, i forgot to think bout this. all i was thinking was that the badboys can take up to 9v. oh wells, direct drive it is [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

wait for wayne's wizard... and you will get full regulation.

Flashaholic

Heh, looking at all the posts, seems the only thing to decide is which colour to get it in. A matching set of black and white would be nice, but if the cost is high, most of us will have to make do with one.

Makes me wonder, how many of us would get one, keep it on a satin cushion and spend all our free time hunched over it with a demented look in our eyes, whispering: My Prreciousssss. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, the only bad things about it that I can see are that it'll probably be the last flashlight we'll ever need, or that it might not be able to run a 5W for extended periods of time. (bigger fins maybe?)

Cool Daddy Administrator

Fins/heat sinking, switch, badboy, watgerproofness. Those seem to be the leading subjects in these last several posts.

Fins/heat sink: If we didn't include the fins, the light wouldn't have been any smaller in diameter - it just would have been heavier. We wanted a 1" OD. The fins, of course, are "relieved" into the head, they aren't tacked on. For its size and weight, I can't imagine a better heat-sinking situation. The emitter is epoxied directly to the integral bulkhead, and there is no barrier to the heat traveling out to those heat-dissipating fins. The heat can also spread all the way down the battery tube to the switch guard as well since we have excellent electrical and thermal contact between the lip of the battery tube and the hefty cathode ring.

Switch - Yes, the switch adds some length. While we wanted a small light, size was not a primary concern. 4" is about the perfect size to hang onto, and since we include the (surprisingly) rare bezel-down clip that hangs the light so unobrusively, the size never seems to be a problem to those of us who have been carrying it every day. We all wanted a tail switch, and there was no way we were going to make a light without a spring in the battery train.

BadBoy - monanza said it just right. The Vin can't exceed the Vf of the LED. If you use a Badboy, please limit yourself to 3Vin. Right here is one of those reasons that we can't offer a warranty. We want to offer options, but some of these configurations CAN'T mixed and matched for fear of releasing the Magic Smoke.

Waterproofness - The bezel pushes the glass lens onto a fat O-ring that compresses against the choice of optics and the front lip of the head. The other end of the head slips over the battery tube O-ring to seal in the same fashion as Surefire. The Kroll boot seals the butt end. These are the only three places that water could potentially enter. The light was designed to be waterproof (NOT to depth, mind you, but adequate for bathtub spelunking), and we're confident that they all CAN be waterproof. But since we're letting you swap everything around, and we won't have any control over how they're assembled, there's a chance they won't be waterproof at all times. I hope that explains it well enough. You can be confident that these CAN be waterproof if some attention is paid to the bezel assembly and to the switch boot. I plunked two of mine in the tub last night and this morning they were both dry inside (I stuffed them with tissue instead of battery). But I also had one leak at the Kroll boot when I first tested it. Tightened the Kroll and that one is now watertight as well.

Mostly MIA Administrator

Chromatophile, Nerd, I've passed up a lot of cool custom lights as I've scrimped and saved extra dollars ans cents. I'm thinking I'll be able to get a McLux but if not I'll keep saving...waiting for the next awesome custom light...

Flashaholic*

Quick post from me, hopefully reinforcing what Darell has spelt out very well:

1) Fins - the fins were cut as deep possible into the light's head, in as many places as possible to expose maximum surface area without losing structural strength. There isn't anything out there we know of with this much exposed surface area (for thermal management) that is this compact and yet this flexible (with LED driving choices, optics...etc). I'll be the bad guy here to admit that when I specced the fins, I had a 5W in mind (I can *hear* the other skunks frowning already [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) They weren't put there so that the McLux would look like a 60's sci-fi weapon prop. Oh, and the extremists out there would be pleased to know that the 5W LS 3x123 direct drive (and un-resistored) McLux *does* exist - I've got one in Royal Blue, but only for educational purposes folks [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Yes, it kicks butt and yes, it gets *hot*.

2) Switch, or more precisely, the switchguard. The holes on the switchguard serve a two-fold purpose - they reduce weight, and they provide a number of highly secure fastening points for accessories, whilst retaining tail-standing capability. The switchguard is also beefy enough to endow the rear end of the McLux with an - *ahem* - percussive utility.

3) Waterproofness. (Darell hit it all on the hit the first time, so I'll just reinforce here with anecdotal data) As part of internal tests, I left 2 McLux (1 of each finish) at the bottom of a 1-ft deep container filled with water overnight and the black HA version failed, leaking a few drops of water. Tightening the kroll and repeating the test produced bone-dry McLux in the morning. And the o-rings weren't even oiled for the test.

For most (if not all) leaks, the Kroll is the guilty party. Fear not,however, Darell, has perfected a method for intrepid DIYers out there to squeeze every bit of waterproofing potential from the McLux.

If water does leak, the switch and battery compartment come apart easily to allow for drying. In our limited trials so far, the head has not shown to leak in the slightest. There will be fastidious ones out there who will nonetheless insist on ultimate measures to secure watertightness, and for these folks, we'd recommend potting. This would lock you out from non-destructively replacing components within the head (you could still swap optics in a potted McLux, of course), but it would definitely lock out moisture as well. Personally, I pot the LED up to its neck in Devcon Crystal Clear filled with strontium aluminate glow-powder. The BB pcb floats eternally in a silicone RTV tomb.

Warning: some of what I have posted is not *sanctioned* by us Skunks, merely to share what I've done and to inform you of what is possible. Its in the name of pushing the envelope and if you'd like to partake in the endeavour, beware the risks [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

Then again, much of the above is childs play to many of you already [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Darrell:

"bathtub spelunking"?

How many years have you avoided cleaning your bathtub in order to develop calcium deposit caves to spelunk? Your wife and daughter are incredibly accomodating.

BTW, did you have to bore into the calcium to make the caves or did you have the foresight to place non-stick forms in the tub that you could remove once the calcium deposits were sufficiently thick?

One other question -- what algaecide did you use during your calcium deposition period? What dosage did you use and how frequently did you have to refresh it. Down in San Diego we have naturally alkaline Colorado river water (almost as many calcium ions as anything else), but I think your local River Delta river water isn't quite as calcium endowed. Did you cheat by adding an additional source of calcium?

Flashaholic

Standing in line for one of each!

Flashaholic*

Here are some more pix to get to know McLux a little better [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

McLux Pix

Enlightened

Fantastic! A must have! This will most likely put me in the poor house and divorce court...Heck its worth it.
    I'll donate the coffee for the Skunk Lights Gang! They're sure going to need it for production.
    I'm a waitin'!

{Standing in line tapping foot)
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]