Battery Junction
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The McLux has landed!

Default Re: The McLux has landed!

Since there is a set price for the TK EN model I'm not opposed to pre-paying for it today. I understand that they're not going to ship for a couple of weeks but it doesn't bother me sending money now.

I trust the Skunk people. I tried to re-arrange the letters in their name to see if I could possibly spell Botach. Can't be done; I feel safe. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

LOL!

What Jeff said: I really wounldn't be opposed to an upfront prepay to you guys to insure getting the EN myself. Thoughts??

Flashaholic*

Insurance for getting the EN yourself?

Hotfoot, looks like kiasuism has spreaded all over the world. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Enlightened

I have seen the pics and like the lights alot ..

But also see that there is alot of guys who would preciate a Recharable M6 ...

Why not look into using or remake the Surefire M6 info a rechargable light.. just a wish...

Hey Nerd, I plugged in your word "Kiasuism" into dictionary.com and several other places and it comes back blank. Just curious as to the meaning of the word you're going for there. And Yes, you are right, of course I do want one of those lights. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by mst3k:
    Hey Nerd, I plugged in your word "Kiasuism" into dictionary.com and several other places and it comes back blank. Just curious as to the meaning of the word you're going for there. And Yes, you are right, of course I do want one of those lights. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I may be wrong here but did a little searching and it appears to translate to "scared to lose out" or in this case "scared to lose out to someone else"

Could we possibly be anymore off topic [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

yup X-ray you are right 'Kiasu' means in direct translation. It's a Chinese dialect (Hokkien).

Other combinations

Kia-si = Scared to die

Kia-bor = Scared of wife
    Guess that's how everyone feels when they have a new light [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]

i suppose you wouldn't be willing to post a picture of a black body w/en head and visa versa?

Flashaholic*

Kiasu is a mostly Singaporean thing, from what I remember it is generally used to describe someone who doesn't want to miss out on anything or lose to others..

This is the typical joke I used to see in Singapore a lot..

http://www.asianjoke.com/Singapore/a...philosophy.htm

Graham

Enlightened

I am intressed in a remake of the Surefire M6 into a rechargable light..

Maybee using a Turbohead an new Body that uses Copia batteries either LRB-168B rechargeable Li-ion battery with capacity of 1400mAH same length and diameter as 2 x CR123A battery, 3.7V.

Or maybee 2 x LRB-150B battery wich are same length, diameter and voltage as 3 x CR123A battery with capacity of 1000mAH

Flashaholic*

There's absolutely no way you can power a M6 LA off 1 of those battery. You will get thermal shut down in less than a minute. Most probably less.

Maybe if you can connect 3 or 4 of those LRB 150B together in parallel, you might power a M6 for any respectable amount of time.

Flashaholic*

And BTW this is a topic about Mclux, why are you posting about M6 here? You already have a new thread on it.

Oh yeah back to the Mclux. I mean look at it!! Its so amazing looking. The only thing that would make it better would be a super high power mode such that you could whip it from a belt loop and hack off the arm of some belligerent, drunk, alien who was hassling the hell out of your young, but soon to be, "Jedi Master" little buddy. But I digress. I just want one dammit [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ok, having reread pretty much this whole thread, it seems the Skunk Light guys pretty much originally designed this light for themselves and I get that. I posted a bit o' the greedy, "I would gladly prepay blah blah blah" to insure I got one [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Ok, How about this. Its a little idea known as "Investment Capital" I.E. The Skunk dudes need said amount of cash in order to produce more than the number of lights they were originally only going to make for themselves. If enough money were there, they could probably make enough lights to have one or more for themselves for free....and be able to produce enough to satisfy the CPF. Am I right here. I am merely looking to get a bitchin' light out of the deal, but what if...those of us who want one were willing to donate a tad o' cash to the Skunks so they could fund the production of a "sizeable" run of these lights. Possible?? I guess this would be up to the Skunks. This type of prepay might benefit the whole!!!

I'm dreamin' huh. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cool Daddy Administrator

I'll let Leo handle this one officially... but please know that we already have a heck of a time keeping finances straight between six of us! If you wanted to send along a blank check with no strings attached, we could probably make sure you got one in your choice of colors though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Oh, and if you think that those of us on the team only want "one or two" of these beauties - you're sadly mistaken. Heck we're still fighting over leaving ANY for you guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Don's the guy you gotta watch out for...

Enlightened

mst3k Well if you have had the eyes open you had sen seen that i started that AFTER the post in this tread!

Mostly MIA Administrator

Here...found this today whilst I was looking for some images for my web page. Best part is that I wasn't even looking for "Skunk Works" and...get this...it's in Salt Lake [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Enlightened

Plus after i looked at the things the guys behind Mclux have done i thought maybee give them a New Challange!

But hey lets all put our shades on and only preciate exactly what the tread is all about ON ALL treads in the future ... Better now?

Cool Daddy Administrator

Deep breath, everybody. It is all good.

Enlightened

Sure thing ... I am doing it ... but hey of somebody is good at something ... why not try to plant new ideas ... and Not be Narrow Sighted!

End of that ... Se new tread ... (About M6)

Wow, almost three hundred entries here in just six days -- hey Skunk guys, think anybody's interested?

Cool Darell, I guess you guys got the investment part of the deal handled and if you don't make enuff of em for the rest of us I spose I understand! [img]graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] They are beautiful lights!

I wish I could send along a blank check for ya, but.......................um No! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

One of the members of the SkunkLights gang who will remain nameless if not blameless signed up for a fair number of pieces when we put this program together. In addition to making lights for his family and friends (non CPF) he has also provided a few components as well as complete lights to some cyber friends and fellow modders here on CPF. He has now worked through most of his share of pieces and has run out of BadBoys to boot. I am disclosing the following information and comment on behalf of myself and this nameless person. I don't presume to speak for the group at large.

The reason I bring this up is in the interest of open communication among the CPF gang. It may be that some of those who own McLuxes or components would like to comment or make observations about the light. I know how frustrating it can be to have something and not talk about it. In the spirit of open dialogue, I ask that you understand that some folk already have a McLux or some of the parts and that you accept this as an opportunity that they had from previous relationships and this is not a slight towards anyone who was not included in this initial sharing of the goodies.

In hindsight, had we known of the overwhelming acceptance and interest in the McLux, perhaps we could have handled this differently in the initial limited production run. On the other hand, we had limited financial resources and I doubt any of us would have been comfortable in using any members pre payments to fund such an undertaking. This project has been a real challenge and has demanded more time and e-mails and communications than any of us would have supposed. It's been a project by committee that amazingly got beyond the table discussion and became a reality. A very large burden was placed on HotFoot's shoulders and he was able to keep from buckling under the load! Quite a feat, in my opinion. This is, after all, a side interest or obsessive hobby for us.

We have all received off forum requests for these parts and lights and I ask that you consider our right to privacy, if you will, on these manners and that it be understood that at this point in the project, all of the parts and lights that are or will be available will be designated as such, either in the TK thread or posted in Wayne's Shoppe.

I for one take this surprising interest in the Mclux as an affirmation that many of us have the same interests and ideas in regards to illumination tools. I use the plural tools as we all know that one light just isn't enough! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Don

Thanks for that post. I sent an email to darell shortly before your post. I will ask here per your request.
    How do I order a turnkey-EN? Where is Wayne's Shoppe? Which Wayne?
    TIA

Originally posted by sunspot:
    How do I order a turnkey-EN? Where is Wayne's Shoppe? Which Wayne?
    TIA
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wayne's (dat2zip) shop is here, This is where the DIY parts will be sold.

As for a turnkey unit, I believe I read that an announcement will be made in the first week of February.

The delay is due to the lack of Badboy boards.

Yeeeeeeahhhhhhaaaaa! Good news. Well I don't know if you will have enough, but you can count on me for One of each. I wanna nickel one and an HAIII!

Can't wait!

Ok I don't want to wear out my welcome here so I won't post again til I hear from you on Sunday, but I just had to say one thing. From the response to this I guess this sorta blows out the theory that people only buy lights for Utility. It seems that Aesthetics and Looks do make a difference! And yours is one of the best looking lights I have ever seen. I love its uniqueness!
    Ok, done for now! me

Cool Daddy Administrator

mst3K -

And ironically, we only took the aesthetics into account during the last "fine tuning" stages. We should get Don to line up his first couple of protos along with a production unit. I've actually been meaning to ask Don to do that. Hey Don?

This was not designed as an item for the curio cabinet - it was designed to be worn and used every damn day! Really this thing is a beautiful example of form following function. Thanks again for the great comments!

OK, I heard you Darell.

Here's the evolution. The first Mclux (flood reflector only):

And then I built a functioning prototype with swapable optics while Leo was working on cad design and refinements. The prototype now belongs to a good friend so I can't shoot a line up, but here it is:

I have since purchased a grooving tool so I can go for the deep fins that the final production McLux sports. The production heads are hosted by the E1 twins below:

- Don

BTW, it's a bummer that the Ex series has been discontinued. I can cerrtainly understand the reasoning and I am not fond of the older style bezels but the power packs without clip are nice for pocket or holster.......... Oh well, a good collectors item now!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast