PK Design Lab
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The McLux has landed!

Default Re: The McLux has landed!

um...somebody pass the drool-bib, please?

Bob<---waaaahhhh! cant afford it...too many expensive habits...like mountainbiking--5 bikes and counting...

Enlightened

I would like one in HAIII

Flashaholic

I know that I want a DIY (preferably in black), as long as it comes with all of the necessary parts.

It depends on the cost of course (i.e. around $100 or so), but since there hasn't been any real estimates, and I have no clue as to how much a cutom run of stuff like this would cost, I'll have to wait and see...

Allen

I want in...ya hear?

Mostly MIA Administrator

My cheap tripod is just like Grahams except black...I think the legs even extend too [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Came with one of those X10 cameras--so I bet x10.com sells them.

Originally posted by B@rt:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Seth:
    B@rt,

just a little bit OT... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What´s that beast down right in the corner in the pic you posted? I understand it has a KL3 on it´s business end, but what´s the light itself?
    What´s this down right in the corner?

Seth
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Seth, In all honesty, I don't know what light that is. [img]graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

I am sure McGizmo knows, it's his pic. [img]graemlins/winkie.GIF[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think the light you guys are talking about is the SF KL2 head mounted onto a SF weapon light prototype body and the SW02 switch. I have seen a similar light in a picture from Al. The cooling fins are from an adapter to fit Millenium parts onto the weapon light threads. (MH90 -> Z46 I think) I want one of these, too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ok, I was off topic long enough.

About the Mclux:
    that is the nicest, most perfect LED light I have seen. I am not only impressed but speechless. How come I have noticed that threat so late ? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

If my budged allows I will be in for one!

Respect to all the guys from Skunk lights!

Thanks K-T. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Yeah I've seen that pic too, if you check the CPF account on ImageStation, you will find it in the Surefire section. [img]graemlins/winkie.GIF[/img]
    (pic )
    OK, back to the McLux... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I guess the lighting must have made my McLux look a little different (it was just a quick snap..) - yes, it is the normal EN version.

Yeah, I like that tripod for the ball mount head too - which is why I chose it. However it is a cheapie, about US$12 I think. It isn't perfect though - if the camera or mounted device is fairly heavy and you try to tilt it a lot, it slips, no matter how much you tighten it. Anyway, works for most stuff. You can probably find something similar at camera stores. I went looking here to find a good one for doing macro shots..

Graham

I am officially out of drool

refill please?????
    [img]graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]

Boy, I just did a quick flash count, and you guys have at least 100 already confirmed to go...

I am VERY interested too - depending on the price. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bucky

Originally posted by darell:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by BuddTX:
    Question on the Kroll Tail Cap Switch....Do you think this is the best choice for a high dollar "state of the art" flashlight?

The Kroll is plastic, and has plastic threads.

Wouldn't the "clickie" option from SureFire be a better solution?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The answer is yes and no. If we wanted to double the price of the light because of the switch, </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Cool I just bought a SF LOTC for $21 so this means the light will only be $21 (Right?) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Erm.. I believe darell would mean that if they are to design the tail cap switch themselves, rather than to use the SF LOTC, the price would go up exponentially...
    jtivat... you're so bad...... [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

LOL!

Oh yeah? Well my tripod's better than your tripod!

-YC

Flashaholic*

I just can't believe no one's made the obvious joke about ordering a McLux...

'Would you like fries with that?'..
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Graham

YC,

I turned down that model cause I liked mine better! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Hey , this is a McLux thread! Why isn't your Mclux on the tripod?? If you weren't so far away, I'd come over and slap you across the head! [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] There......

- Don

Flashaholic*

I hope this isn't going to degenerate into a bout of tripod-envy.. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Graham

:

[b]

The HA looks pretty shiny. Will the production run be shiny or flat?

Brightnorm

Flashaholic*

You Skunk folks should be taken out and shot!!!
    The very idea of tempting all of us poor victims (read flashaholics)with this sort of Bleeding Edge technology. I am still trying to figure out how I am going to pay for all of the torches I purchased for myself, and others for Xmas. The worst part about this crazy affliction, is that you have to keep it somewhat secret, or your whole family will think you are completely bonkers..... Oh well they probably knew anyway. I want to be entombed with all my flashlights, that way they will know for sure!!! "He was out of his mind" Yes, but he never lost his way in the dark.

Ok, now that I have fully justified my sickness, I will be selling all my Eron stock to buy one of these one-off coach built McLux specials, just hurry up and tell what this fix will cost.

I like this better than the other lights I have been saving up for. I want one. It looks beautiful. I appreciate that it was designed as a work and task light. Good balance in features.
    Both finishes have their highlights - either would be fine.
    Strong preference for turnkey.

Flashaholic*

Originally posted by brightnorm:
    The HA looks pretty shiny. Will the production run be shiny or flat?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Brightnorm,

Yes, the HA is glossy. But it probably appears shinier than say, a 6P, because of the lack of knurling. Otherwise, it really is only as glossy as the smooth areas of a 6P.

During the development (ie. the trial and goof up stages), we tried several finishes - some were plain ugly(like olive drab), and others came out beautiful (like tactical matte black) but were so potentially low-yield because of QC problems that most of our run would have been rejects! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Those trials and the plain black HA you see now is a result of the other skunks gamely agreeing to my persistence that we should try it - just for a little flavor.

Experience has now shown and convinced us, that for the McLux anyway, we'll stick with EN if we only had a single choice [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cool Daddy Administrator

Oops. I just answered the same thing that Leo did. Here, I'll get it myself: [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Question on the Kroll Tail Cap Switch.

I have two of these, that I purchased from brightguy.com. Do you think this is the best choice for a high dollar "state of the art" flashlight?

Just asking.

Cool Daddy Administrator

Originally posted by BuddTX:
    Question on the Kroll Tail Cap Switch....Do you think this is the best choice for a high dollar "state of the art" flashlight?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The answer is yes and no. If we wanted to double the price of the light because of the switch, we would have had more options (such as designing our own for many thousands of dollars). We all agree that the Kroll is the weakest link in this design. But it is replaceable! If it breaks, you put a new one in for a few bucks. If we come up with a better design, then we plunk it in instead. We looked and looked, and this was the best solution for our needs and budget. This switch easly works in some of the 5W mods that various Skunks have done - so it is no slouch in the current department. We would like to see it in a metal housing, and using double springs... but this is what we have to work with. The good news is that we dressed it up real purty!

I would love to have one, however the economics of things will surely dictate if one will come my way... How many will be available again?

Flashaholic*

Please count me in for one of these when they're available.

Flashaholic*

Bushman (and everyone), thanks again for all the interest shown so far. McLux TK (turnkeys) will be priced at $125 for EN and $130 for black HA3. All prices exclude S&H and taxes (where applicable).

These are the only 2 finishes available and that we are prepared to give. Please understand that we cannot cater to custom requests as the cost and co-ordination required would be beyond what any of us Skunkies can spare time for at this moment.

After discussing amongst ourselves, us Skunks have decided to separate DIY buyers from the turn-key(ie. complete, functioning and tested units) buyers. 2 new and separate threads will be started - one in the BST section, and another in the mods section - to handle each "type" of buyer.

DIY parts purchasers will be able to buy separate/loose McLux parts via dat2zip's sandwich shoppe. Prices for these parts will be announced shortly. DIY buyers will be addressed in the mods section. (EDIT: Removed the "kits" bit - my mistake, oops!)

Potential turnkey buyers will be invited to place their orders at the BST thread, which I (hotfoot) will initiate. Orders will be accepted via Paypal
    or money orders only. Turnkey McLuxes will be offered in both finishes, but in only one body style (1x123). At this point, we can rustle up 100 units (50 of each finish) - and if demand exceeds supply of these 100, I have negotiated with our machinist to run another 100 on short notice for us, without the usual penalties of this kind of order (ie. tooling, setup...etc).
    This is the absolute max we can do for various reasons (like neglecting our REAL work, family..etc..etc)

We will close this thread shortly, but I'll wait awhile and see if the other Skunks have something to add to this post [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

(anyway, only Darell or some other bigshot moderator can lock this thread [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Wow! That's a very reasonable price (IMHO). Guess I'll be checking out the BST thread for opening bell.

Originally posted by hotfoot:
    [QB.....Yes, the HA is glossy. But it probably appears shinier than say, a 6P....only had a singl[/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OK, thanks

BN

Will those prices above be for the turnkey lights, or for the parts? When will the prices for the pieces/parts be listed on the Sandwich Shop site?