Attaching High Dome Emitters What to use?

typhoon

Newly Enlightened
Guys-
What do you use to secure the emitter to the heat sink with? I am replacing a 3 watt Luxeon with a 5 watt Luxeon High Dome Emitter.

I would assume that what ever adhesive used has to conduct heat.

HELP!!!

B

greenLED

Flashaholic
It depends on how permanent you want the attachment to be, and whether you want to allow some movement or not.

If you want permanent bonding, use the Artic Alumina 2 part epoxy. Otherwise, Use the Artic Alumina thermal paste. I've always used the epoxy.

Illum

Flashaholic
I red somewhere from McGizmo about using 10K diamond powder with epoxy as a transfer medium, but i dont think any of us have the luxury to use diamond....

on Mcgizmo's site, under ideas, one of the recent ones lemme check

ah
http://dmcleish.com/CPF/L1-Diamond/index.html
"The LED's could not be mounted on heat sinks in a conventional manner so over

10 carats of diamond powder was mixed into a very thick bog with epoxy. This

bog or putty was spread from the heat sink slug down over the rear of the LED's

and onto the Al surface.."Not sure what he meant, but sounded like a good idea..

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have had better luck with AA than AS epoxy for holding emitters stronger.. if they aren't likely to be subjected to much force, the AS has been lab demonstrated to be superior to just about every other heat-sinking adhesive.. the dimond does sound interesting.. diamond if lined up right is many times more heat-conductive than anything else.. however.. if it's lined up wrong it's an insulator.. The AS epoxy does not set up as fast or obvious as the AA.. and is just tougher to work with in general.. it also as an aside.. smells to high heaven... so.. i'm quite happy using AA..

hey. .in-fact.. if you are only needing to attache a single emitter or three.. you can buy a pair of tubes from pf and i'll buy them right off you say for 95% of the price.. you can mail first-class and it ends up costing you like a buck vs $8 or whatever.

-awr

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
andrewwynn said:
hey. .in-fact.. if you are only needing to attach a single emitter or three...
Here's another point to remember. If you buy some thermal epoxy, it comes in a pair of tubes, just like any other epoxy adhesive. Mine also came with a little plastic spoon (for stirring it up) but that's beside the point. Anyway, the whole kit came in a little plastic bag with both tubes and the spoon all together. I used a little bit of the stuff and carefully wiped the ends of both tubes. Use a different piece of paper towel to wipe each tube, as you don't want to contaminate one tube with the other. Then I put everything back in the little plastic bag.

The next time I went to use the stuff, it was hard as a rock. I think the vapors from one tube escaped the syringe and "set" the other. If I were to buy some more, I'd be careful to store each tube in a separate bag.