Mod the M6 to rechargeable!

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Anyone with the milling/lathe experiance care to share ideas about making an oval shaped tube with a sealed switch at the bezel end threaded for the SF M6 head?

If not there may be a battery pack that currently has the output for the M6, its the Makita #G6766 NI-MH 9.6v stick that retails for $49.95 and the #G6770 Quad Volt NI-MH charger for $69.95 at Grizzly Industrial
It is a new hi-output NI-MH replacement 9.6 v stick battery.

Another thing to do is remove the batteries altogether and manage a way to either use them with an extension tube if they are the right diameter or make an adapter to use the Makita stick battery itself as the flashlight body.

I would apply some stick on grips or use some heavy heat shrink tube, even that way a switch can be installed under the shrink tube in series with the + lead output of the battery.

Either a battery "skin" or a dedicated housing this looks like a good mod.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
That 9.6V stick should burn up the lamp REAL quick. The MN21 orwhatever the high output lamp is is only 6.1 or so volts under load! That 9.6 probably wouldn't go below 8.5 or MAYBE 8 under load, you'd be blowing expensive lamps left and right.

Spud

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
So, regulate it!
Imagine being able to use anything from a KL1 up to the MN21?
The regulators are available, its a matter of not saying it can't be done.

The impossible just takes a little bit more time.....

JoeyL

Enlightened
I hope you guys find a source for an oval tube.
I would be very interested in that.

As for the electrics inside, I have tentatively run the MN21 500 lumen lamp with a 7.2 volt NiMH
3000 maH Sub C pack.

The voltage and amperage are very close to what Brock noted for the real M6 with 6 lithium cells.
I bet 9.6 would pop it, because it is pretty darn bright with this set up. The battery stick is compact and fits the hand well. If we could find a holder, it would be great.

The other option I was considering is using two sections of pvc or metal tubing glued together in parallel. It would be easier to findin a hardware store. But getting it connected to the head is the next step.