Garrity "Ozark Trail" 2AA

Entropy

Enlightened
Has anyone managed to get a BadBoy pill into one of these?

(Not sure if it's possible)

Nice things about the 2AA Garrity:

Aluminum construction, but with a rubber grip around the barrel for those of us in colder climates.

Cheaper than a 2AA MM, comes with a tailswitch!

Tailswitch has same threads as the MM tail cap.

Bad things:

Reflector assembly is glued to the front bezel.

Tail switch has same threading as MM, but if you put it in the MM it doesn't screw in far enough to make secure battery contact.

The lamp assembly seems to be pretty securely held in the light body - Dunno if a pill could be convinced to go in there.

If no LED mod, it looks like a 3x123 + new lamp is possible for this light, as described by a few other CPFers.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Entropy:
...Reflector assembly is glued to the front bezel....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think it was Roy who figured out how to get the lense out a few months ago. If I remember correctly, it's not glued in. Maybe PM him if he doesn't show up here.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Entropy:
...Reflector assembly is glued to the front bezel....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think it was Roy who figured out how to get the lense out a few months ago. If I remember correctly, it's not glued in. Maybe PM him if he doesn't show up here.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I bought one of these.. It is a "press fit" lens & reflector. The lack of a removable bezel prevents this light from becoming a serious mod base option..

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another confirmation that the reflector and front lens is a press-fit.

One way to fit the NX-01/05 into the bezel securely is to slice off a 1-2mm thick ring from the black optic holder, from the center of the holder. The ring fits perfectly inside the garrity head, and it should have 4 inset divits that fit the ring around the front of the optic.

I can supply pics if anyone is interested further.

-Darin

TOB9595

Enlightened
DARIN, I'd like to see more info on your mod. Sounds fairly easy but pics and guidance is appreciated.
Tom

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by TOB9595:
DARIN, I'd like to see more info on your mod. Sounds fairly easy but pics and guidance is appreciated.
Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No problem - some pictures will probably explain everything:

The parts for fitting an NX01 optic in: the original plastic window, the retainer ring, the optic. The retainer ring is a slice from the middle of an optic holder.
gh1.jpg

The retainer ring on the optic.
gh2.jpg

The optic, ring, and plastic front window installed in the head.
gh3.jpg

Between the retainer ring and plastic window, the optic is held in the head pretty securely.

And if you're interested in my mod, here is the white luxeon mounted on the flashlight body:
garrity2.jpg

After removing the bulb, i made a T-shaped aluminum pedistal (looks like the head of a nail). The thin part of the pedistal fits in the bulb hole. Everything is thermal epoxied into place. I power this with 3 1/3AA NiMH batteries, and a touch of resistance (0.5 ohm) in the tailcap.

-Darin