Enlightened
A friend of mine give me an offer of these 2 knives with same price:

- Benchmade AFCK in D2, and
- Spyderco Chinook I in CPM 440V

Which one you choose and why? Cheers.

Frids

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's personal preference, but I already have an AFCK and carried it for years as my backup weapon. The only thing I ever used it for was to cut into bricks of marijuana that were seized by law enforcement. We had to cut samples off the bricks to send to the DEA drug lab.

The Chinook was designed by James Keating as a fighter, but looks odd to me.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Benchmade AFCK with D2 would be my pick. Why? I love D2 I like Benchmade
and the blade is more familiar ( for me) than the Chinook for all around use. I do not have A Chinook and I like Spyderco knives just fine but D2 is great knife steel for me.
Topper :)

UWAK

Enlightened
Lightraven and Topper both of you have a good point, I agree 100% with you guys. Thx a lot. Anybody else?

Frids

Santelmo

Enlightened
I've only handled the latest Chinook. It's a bit bulky for me to EDC comfortably and at 440V steel? Said to be excellent in edge retention but NOT in strength, meaning greater chance of "edge chipping". This is just the natural trade-off in steel properties. Not wanting to sound like a "steel snob" but I too would rather go for the D2 tool steel and the probably much slimmer AFCK.

This time, I'd choose the BM.

ghostrider

Enlightened
Santelmo said:
I've only handled the latest Chinook. It's a bit bulky for me to EDC comfortably and at 440V steel? Said to be excellent in edge retention but NOT in strength, meaning greater chance of "edge chipping". This is just the natural trade-off in steel properties. Not wanting to sound like a "steel snob" but I too would rather go for the D2 tool steel and the probably much slimmer AFCK.

This time, I'd choose the BM.
Is it possible for you to give me some sources or links to sources of S60V chipping? I've heard that S30V has been known to chip but that once the initial grind is sharpened away, it usually isn't a problem because it's just a matter of heat treat. I've been searching bfc but have yet to find anything.

I have heard that S60V is very hard to sharpen but holds an edge very well. I've also heard that some manufacture's D2 is hard to sharpen (don't know about BM's).

I did once handle one of the older AFCK's with the round hole and it had good ergonomics and didn't seem to thick to fit in the pocket. Haven't handled the Chinook, but it is reported to be the strongest lock in Spyderco as it broke the machine they were using to test it. Don't know why it looks odd since it's essentially a folding bowie.

They are going to stop making the S60V (if they haven't already), so collectability might be a consideration with the Chinook.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
My Spyderco Military (which is my EDC and gets used pretty hard sometimes) is 440V (s60v), and I have had no issues with chipping. It's true that 440V is harder to sharpen than most steels, well actually it just takes a little more time. It also holds an edge very well, better than my Vg-10 blades for sure. I have never owned any D2 knives but I've heard nothing but good things about that steel.

Anyway, I don't think you should make your choice based purely on what kind of steel is used. There are far more important things to consider imo. Like size, application, ergonomics and such. Try holding them and using them a little and make your choice based on which one YOU like, that's my recommendation :)

MoonRise

Enlightened
D2 - mostly stainless but will rust/stain easier than a steel with more chromium. May need a little more care in that regard than a 440-class steel with it's higher chromium.

Which knife do you generally like better? Pick that one.

UWAK

Enlightened
I agree that I'm not gonna lean solely one steel type. Chinook I is rather bit bulky and heavier than the Chinook II version in S30V. I think I will take a look closer on the BM AFCK in D2 since it's more user friendly and easy to carry in a pocket. The blade design of the AFCK is also more general in utility than the Chinook I. Cheers!

Frids

gailt

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the afck its blade shape is just better for my uses.as stated before the chinook I is heavy .I prefer the axis lock on the benchmade as its easy to use for right and left handers.the afck has been discontinued and it usually sells at a premium on ebay.
that said I would get the knife that suited my needs best.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D2 AFCK, being discontinued yet still greatly desired, actually has quite a bit of collectors/resale value. The Chinook, not so much because it's an older model that has been since upgraded with better steel. Not sure if that makes a difference to you or not, like if you're planning on using the knife or collecting/selling it.

In any case, I'd go with the AFCK myself. You can always pick up a Chinook 2 if you still want a knife of that style, but the AFCK will always be harder to get unless they rerelease it.

Professormc2

Newly Enlightened
I have a handmade little knife in D2 tool steel. I like that steel very much.
My favorite choice is S30V or VG10.

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
If I had that offer, I'd go for the AFCK. But like the other guys said, hold both and see which one you like better. You could always buy both too. :)

UWAK

Enlightened
Ha...ha... Rayne, I already hold them both. And I don't have the luxury to buy them both, so I lean more to the AFCK. Thx anyway. Cheers.

Frids

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AFCK gives you a 4-way position clip. The Chinook I does not. I have both(at the moment) the 806D2 gets carried more.

Blades