Netflix or Blockbuster?

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
I've been using Netflix for many years, I became a member not long after they started. I've been pretty happy with their service, their selection is excellent. However, I have noticed that sometimes it takes a little long for them to post that they received a DVD back, or to ship a new one out. There have been lawsuits over this, they called it "throttling".

Blockbuster now offers a similar system, pretty much a copy of Netflix. I don't like the way they copied Netflix's excellent idea, but that's life. Blockbuster has similar prices but they also offer a couple free DVD rentals from your local store which is very nice for on the spot renting which would be perfect tonight since there's nothing on TV and my next DVD from Netflix is 2 days away.

So who uses Blockbuster's mail service? How is it? Anything I should know before trying them out?

Thanks!

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Been a BB subscriber in So. Cal. for about 2-years. With my 3 at-a-time by mail rentals, I also get 1 free new release (in store) rental coupon each week.

Their service has been pretty good. However, they messed up recently when I ordered the first DVD in a "series". They sent me the correct envelope with the *wrong* disc in it 6-times! They did give me lots of free rental coupons for my trouble, and I'm happy.

It usually takes 1-2 days to receive a movie if it's in stock.

I find it an interesting task to try to evaluate movies before ordering them on-line. Some of the films I like are obscure. For reviews I generally rely on www.rottentomatoes.com Where do you go for reviews?

Bill

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used both at various times. Netflix started out blazing fast but did throttle down when I'd rented too many in a month. Blockbuster (maybe a year ago) was much slower than Netflix, kind of like a throttled Netflix but all the time. The 3 free rentals were nice but over an average month, Blockbuster still delivered less than Netflix.

Maybe they've gotten better since then?

Raven

Enlightened
I'm about to start one of these services, and I noticed that Netflix counts an entire TV season as one rental, but Blockbuster counts an entire TV season as multiple rentals.

Last edited:

KingSmono

Enlightened
I have used both services before. I liked BlockBuster's better, because of the free "in-store" coupons... BUT, where I live, Netflix delivers DVDs much faster. I used Netflix for a long time, until I'd pretty much seen everything I wanted to see... I unsubscribed for a while, but who knows maybe I'll start it up again in a year or so. That way I'll have a whole bunch of new movies to catch up on. :)

-Allen

Kesmai

Banned
Wireman said:
I've been using Netflix for many years, I became a member not long after they started. I've been pretty happy with their service, their selection is excellent. However, I have noticed that sometimes it takes a little long for them to post that they received a DVD back, or to ship a new one out. There have been lawsuits over this, they called it "throttling".

Blockbuster now offers a similar system, pretty much a copy of Netflix. I don't like the way they copied Netflix's excellent idea, but that's life. Blockbuster has similar prices but they also offer a couple free DVD rentals from your local store which is very nice for on the spot renting which would be perfect tonight since there's nothing on TV and my next DVD from Netflix is 2 days away.

So who uses Blockbuster's mail service? How is it? Anything I should know before trying them out?

Thanks!

sometimes companies that expand off of other peoples ideas add there own twist to things and make the services better.

VWTim

Enlightened
I'm wondering where the nearest Blockbuster center is to me. Netflix is about 5o miles away, so mail Mon, they recieve and ship Tue, get it Wed. I don't want to push that any longer.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
VWTim said:
I'm wondering where the nearest Blockbuster center is to me. Netflix is about 5o miles away, so mail Mon, they recieve and ship Tue, get it Wed. I don't want to push that any longer.

Here is a link to showing the original 10 BB distribution centers, and the additional 13 which are opened, or about to open:

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2005/01/new_blockbuster.html

I have found with some lesser known DVD's, there will be a long wait if ordered on-line. However, using my weekly free in-store coupon, I can usually find it in one of the 2 stores located withing 5 miles.

Bill

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
cyberhobo said:
I use none of em'. I buy the DVD I want to see.

As expensive as that seems, considering the late fees I've paid at Blockbuster it's probably the superior idea. Counting late fees I'd be paying like four bucks extra to own the DVD and then I can watch it on MY schedule.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
scott.cr said:
As expensive as that seems, considering the late fees I've paid at Blockbuster it's probably the superior idea. Counting late fees I'd be paying like four bucks extra to own the DVD and then I can watch it on MY schedule.
Blockbuster did away with late fees a year or two ago. If you've been charged a late fee anytime recently you've been scammed.

As for buying DVD's, I can pay for a full month of 3-at-a-time DVD rentals from Netflix for the same price as an average DVD. With the 3 at a time plan I could get around 20 movies a month. There's no comparison.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wireman said:
Blockbuster did away with late fees a year or two ago. If you've been charged a late fee anytime recently you've been scammed.

True, but about the time where they did the "no late fees" thing I read the small print where they charge the full value of the item to your credit card if it's not returned within their timeframe I decided that the advertising was deceitful so switched to Hollywood Video. Still get banged like a Salvation Army drum on the late fees, but at least they accept returns until midnight.

Honestly, it's easiest to simply pirate the movie, but I know no one here has ever pirated movies or music... that would be STEALING.

Penguin

Enlightened
I've been using Blockbuster this summer and the free rental coupons are the deal maker for me :) I've been able to use each one this summer along with the 2 DVD's I have out. It's great! Our turn-over times are slower than what others are saying, but free in-store rentals make it up :)

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
most of civilization is a bit of a drive for me, there is no blockbuster on the corner. I dont even have a movie rental account anywhere anymore. But i do have a netflix account and i like it a lot. I have been very happy with netflix, they have a shipment center just the next state over and so they arrive fairly quickly. Blockbuster has left a bad taste in my mouth from the distant past when I used to rent movies from them. Perhaps they have improved their customer service since then, but i still went with netflix because of the problems I had just renting video tapes from them in the past.

(and it probably didn't help that out of college I worked for a local video store when Blockbuster opened their first store in our town and there was a certain degree of rivalry between us and their employees ;) )

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
scott.cr said:
True, but about the time where they did the "no late fees" thing I read the small print where they charge the full value of the item to your credit card if it's not returned within their timeframe I decided that the advertising was deceitful...
You can return the movie even after they've charged your credit card and they'll refund your money, except for 1.25 bookkeeping fee. If you complain enough they won't even charge that.

Navistar

Newly Enlightened
I've been very happy with Blockbuster.I've 3 or 4 DVDs go MIA on the way back to them and they just took them off my sent list and sent next one.No questions asked.I like the huge selection,way more than they have in the stores.The in store coupons are great but I never use mine because the DVDs come so fast in the mail.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
So by that website it seems as if there will be a Blockbuster depot in NJ in the future. Hopefully that happens and I could try them out.

Raven

Enlightened
Are these free Blockbuster movie rentals for any movie, including new release, or just the older titles?

OwlEyez

Newly Enlightened
Some great input in this thread. I've looked at Netflix a few times, but never jumped on it. Would be great for kids movies that are mainstream. My taste tend to be more obscure. Sure like the idea of an in-store rental with Blockbuster.