Maxpedition fatboy help

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
A need a little help. I am looking at a Maxpedition fatboy for hunting, fishing and radio com. I am leaning towards the "S" because I it will be much easier to fish with and the pistol will be clear on the right hip. But here is my problem. Will I be able to throw the rifle to the shoulder and not the strap interfere like the strap on a normal padded backpack strap would? Thanks for the help.

Dose the jumbo seem a lot bigger than the normal when wearing it. Or is there little different and I should go with it.

Malpaso

Enlightened
I would caution your selection of the Fatboy/Jumbo for some of the activities you've listed. From experience, it does not function well while on the move. I've reviewed it a couple of times, but in a nutshell, if you're stationary, it's one of the best gear bags I've ever used (in NOLA last fall it was invaluable, but I was doing comm in one place for 12 hour shifts). However, while moving (hiking/climbing) it does not stay put at all. It's going to be a problem with your rifle.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Malpaso is right. It is a great bag for traveling on public transportation, sitting on train, etc. times when you are not moving a great deal. I took mine on a short day hike. It shift took much. I would have been much better served with one of their backpacks. Great product, just not the best for what you described.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
A well-designed shoulder pack, like the REI Mini or Mini Sling Pack http://www.rei.com/product/48028646.htm will stay put even when you're fairly active. It won't stay put like a backpack, obviously, but I'm assuming you're going with a sling pack because you want to be able to pull the pack around to the front occasionally. The REI Mini packs are not tactical looking like the Fatboy, but on the other hand, they're well-organized and as I said earlier, they stay put better than the Fatboy.

Joe

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a regular Fatboy and Jumbo fatboy. Both are the non-S flavors, and each gets used on my left side anyway. Haven't hiked or hunted with them, but they do fine for mundane things like walking around Disney World.

The Jumbo is a little larger, but not gigantic, and gets more use.

This is the regular Fatboy with one of the accessory packs (M5?):

f2.jpg

cheers

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. Guess I need to rethink things for the hunting and fishing task.

But it sounds like a good idea for the radio comm because I am pretty much stationary and only need it for the spare batteries, pencils, and a small pad then the letherman, the flashlight, spare batteries and the ….. well you know anything to justify a purchase.

Guess I need to get 2 bags now. That's the way it should be anyways right.

Malpaso

Enlightened
Hornet said:
Guess I need to get 2 bags now. That's the way it should be anyways right.

I have found that having both the Jumbo and a Proteus covers most situations, especially for comms, using either alone or both in combination.

JeeperAz

Newly Enlightened
I have the fatboy and found that the zippers are too noisy ... I wouldnt carry it in the sticks.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The zippers on my FatBoy aren't bad at all. Maybe a zipper "lube" would help -- check out sporting goods stores or sewing shops. Or maybe some bees wax used sparingly would help.

-----
Edit: as for the zippers rattling when you walk or move, it sounds weird, but try a zipper pull or a piece of leather boot lace. I find that in some cases the pull causes the zipper tb not to move or rattle as much. YMMV.
-----

Now the sound the clips make is LOUD! The joys of quality plastic clips. And the velcro on the shoulder pad makes noise like all velcro will.

I still take the darn thing with me everywhere and if people don't see it with me, they ask where it is. It's part of the reason I'm an Inspector Gadget and also why people who know me expect me to save their bacon when the least little thing goes wrong. Hmmmm, some big things, too, once in awhile come to think of it, but that's another story. I never, ever leave home without it.

Last edited:

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
Well I got my fatboy last week. I really like it. I've loaded it up with all of my radio stuff a knife A letherman a SF G2 and well all the important stuff I need to carry. I think the fishing part will work well. Doesn't move any more than the old wicker creel did. Not sure about the hunting part yet. I know the noise you are talking about with the zippers. They jingle around a bit. I may see if I can find some of the plastic dip used on tool handles like the stuff used on pliers and see if it solves the problem. Other than that its a great bag. Thanks for all the info and help