Motto?

Should CPF have a motto?

• CPF should have a motto (and coat of arms next).

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Mottos suck (freedom of thought and anarchy rule).

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leduk

Enlightened
I was in a cave on a sunny day last week. I had a PT EOS on my head and a Mag AA TLE-5 in hand. The guys down the cave with candles said "here's a guy with the right equipment".

But I wasn't the guy with the right equipment. I was scrambling along chanting "could have brought something brighter", "should have got a ....." , "that sunlight spoilt my night vision for a week", etc etc...

I've had a quick search and the most common CPF motto seems to be "buy both". That's the stock response to all the "which ..... would be best....?" questions. I'm sure this isn't really just an advertising/shoppping channel.

There are a bunch of motto suggestions in other threads but I think it would be best to start from the point of does CPF need a motto?

So anybody want one? A motto that is.

Blazer

Enlightened
Why not?

A couple of suggestions from me,

"Illuminating the world, one flashlight at a time."

"Showing the Road To Enlightenment"

"Chasing Away the Darkness"

COMMANDR

Enlightened
Genesis 1:4 says it all and I quote.........

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Now the earth was formless and empty. Darkness was on the surface of the deep. God's Spirit was hovering over the surface of the waters.

God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

God saw the light, and saw that it was good. God divided the light from the darkness.

I vote for "Let there be light". If the big guy said it, who are we to argue.
grinser2.gif

Gary

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I 3rd Commandr's suggestion.

Was my first thought when I read the thread title, but Commandr beat me to it... :shrug:

LED BriCK

Enlightened
We have to differentiate between motto, mantra, and slogan. I certainly can't come up with a motto better than "Let there be light," though some of our non-flashaholic friends might find it a tad presumptuous. Mantras and slogans we can have more than one of. I agree with "Buy both" as our primary mantra. Somebody's (I apologize, I can't remember who) has what I've always found to be a clever slogan in his sig line, which goes along the lines of "Small, bright, long-running. Pick any two."
On a tangent, can anyone come up with a better moniker than "flashaholic?" That's always been a pet peeve of mine. Sure, there's an "-ohol" in alcohol, but ther's no "-ohol" in work, sex, or flashlight!
Final off-topic tangential thought: if "anarchy rules," doesn't it then cease to be an anarchy?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
COMMANDR said:
Genesis 1:4 says it all and I quote.........

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Now the earth was formless and empty. Darkness was on the surface of the deep. God's Spirit was hovering over the surface of the waters.

God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

God saw the light, and saw that it was good. God divided the light from the darkness.

I vote for "Let there be light". If the big guy said it, who are we to argue.
grinser2.gif

Gary

what about the atheists....they won't like taht very much now would they?

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Torches Forward. Coat of Arms: Crossed Flashlights with a snake or dragon or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
One CPFer has something like this in his/her sigline:

"In the beginning, there was nothing. Then God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better."

It's a little long, but extremely funny. Kind of fits in with the wallhunter persona.

For a coat of arms, it would be nice to have something simple yet smooth, possibly vector-based for scalability. I don't know what its content could be, but I do know that we need something to replace the blue butt-pill.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
It absolutely would need some Latin phrase to add class. Something like, "Persuitus Luminus Maximus".:laughing:

leduk

Enlightened
LED BriCK said:
Final off-topic tangential thought: if "anarchy rules," doesn't it then cease to be an anarchy?

Look at the way those anarchists are organizing themselves, they're neck and neck with the pro-motto-ist-aholics.

I was also thinking maybe a CPF sponsorship deal with Pepsi Max Lite. Or for Luxeon users Dunkin Donuts.

Cheers

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
leduk said:
Look at the way those anarchists are organizing themselves, they're neck and neck with the pro-motto-ist-aholics...
No, it's just that we've "been there done that" before with the "motto threads" - they just never ended up going anywhere...

You could do a search and come up with past suggestions if you feel motivated...

"Buy em' both" always seemed to fit and was used a lot in the past...

"186,000 miles per second - It's the law!" -was another good one-

Plenty more buried somewhere around here!

leduk

Enlightened
Thanks sigman.

As I said in the initial post, I've already been motivated and searched and turfed up the threads.

That's why I idly thought asking "if" would be a place to start rather than "what".

Cheers.