Hard Ano carabiners?

carrot

Flashaholic
I would think that hard anodize may be too abrasive for use in carabiners, where one would probably rather have wear on the 'biner than on the ropes they're attached to. Just my thoughts.

highorder

Enlightened
carabiners are wear items, not to be pushed past their service life. I have seen hard-ano rescue 8's though.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
guntotin_fool said:
buy one or two, strip them apart, and take them to the platers.

Not possible, even if you do strip them, the non aluminum parts (steel spring) will get destroyed in the ano process, and I don't think you can take apart carabiners without damaging them.

Somebody prove me wrong ?:candle:

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
By pulling them apart, one would not be sending the steel bits to the platers. I have stripped many many of them and rebuilt them. I used to climb a lot, Ok I did not do so much climbing but I belayed my friends who did the climbing.... But we used to have some pretty big racks of biners and chocks, nuts, friends and pitons. I still have some biners that maybe are 25 years old, and still working just fine. I used to carry a little triangle file with me and biners that had held a hard fall would get a little notch on the swing arm to show that they were retired. If you use a pointed center punch and a light tapping you can "reverse" the rivet and then worry the pins out. If we got one with a bent gate or a rough frame, we would strip them down and try to make one good out of two bads. These would get doubled up for holding safety lines or seating belays.

Blackhawk Industries have some dark anodized ones, but no idea on HA.

really though I would ask why you want one?

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
I've been using a Petzl Ball Lock as a belt clip / key ring holder for quite a few years now and it has held up very well. Recently, it has been sluggish in snapping shut - even cleaning and silicone spray has not helped - time to swap it out for a new one.

I'd like a hard ano biner just for the fun of it though!

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
I would say 50% of the time, sluggish operation is a slight bend in the arm. IF and ONLY IF you are not using it for life critical safety work, then youcan try to put it in the vise and gently twist the bar to free it up.

The rest of the time it seems to be a burr somewhere that is causing the hangup, usually your fingers can feel what it is that is making the problem.

As with all climbing/rescue etc gear, they seem expensive until you find yourself hanging way up there with nothing but air under your cheap rear end and you find that you are hanging on four biners and a friend that are almost good enough, That is when you get scared and vow to never trust old stuff again.

When I was just starting out and learning about climbing I was helping a friend who was making an ascent of a very difficult ice climb and at the same time he was being photographed by a guy who should have known better but clipped into two of the climbers ice bolts. The Photog then lost his footing and fell, pulling both the bolts, as well as the climber and himself off the face of the climb. Instantly I was yanked off my seat and was being suspended in mid air while I held both guys off the ground maybe 75 feet up. My harness was trying to remove my wedding tackle while I was trying to keep both guys from falling to their deaths. My climber buddy was upside down, tangled in the photogs gear and really banged up, Photog guy was more worried about his Nikon than understanding that he was about a 1/2 second from falling to his death.

One solitary new ice bolt from Chounaird was all that was holding them and if anyone remembers high school physics, pressure equals heat and leaving all that pressure on the one bolt meant it was melting its way out of the ice. I ended up lowering them both to a point where the climber was able to drill in a new bolt and hang himself from that so that he would turn upside down as I lowered him. He dug in some good foot holds and added another Ice bolt and then dropped the belay line so i could allow Photog to descend to a safe place. After all that, I realised that the two bolts that let go were ones that were dull and well used and had we used a third dull one instead of the new one, both guys would most likely be paraplegics if not dead. That completely altered my understanding of just how critical one little piece of aluminum can be. I had massive bruises on both legs from getting whipped up off the ground when both guys fell. I was to blame too as I used myself as a link in the belay system, never again would I put myself where I was subject to the load.

cy

Flashaholic
nice story! one little piece from disaster..

guntotin_fool said:
I would say 50% of the time, sluggish operation is a slight bend in the arm. IF and ONLY IF you are not using it for life critical safety work, then youcan try to put it in the vise and gently twist the bar to free it up.

The rest of the time it seems to be a burr somewhere that is causing the hangup, usually your fingers can feel what it is that is making the problem.

As with all climbing/rescue etc gear, they seem expensive until you find yourself hanging way up there with nothing but air under your cheap rear end and you find that you are hanging on four biners and a friend that are almost good enough, That is when you get scared and vow to never trust old stuff again.

When I was just starting out and learning about climbing I was helping a friend who was making an ascent of a very difficult ice climb and at the same time he was being photographed by a guy who should have known better but clipped into two of the climbers ice bolts. The Photog then lost his footing and fell, pulling both the bolts, as well as the climber and himself off the face of the climb. Instantly I was yanked off my seat and was being suspended in mid air while I held both guys off the ground maybe 75 feet up. My harness was trying to remove my wedding tackle while I was trying to keep both guys from falling to their deaths. My climber buddy was upside down, tangled in the photogs gear and really banged up, Photog guy was more worried about his Nikon than understanding that he was about a 1/2 second from falling to his death.

One solitary new ice bolt from Chounaird was all that was holding them and if anyone remembers high school physics, pressure equals heat and leaving all that pressure on the one bolt meant it was melting its way out of the ice. I ended up lowering them both to a point where the climber was able to drill in a new bolt and hang himself from that so that he would turn upside down as I lowered him. He dug in some good foot holds and added another Ice bolt and then dropped the belay line so i could allow Photog to descend to a safe place. After all that, I realised that the two bolts that let go were ones that were dull and well used and had we used a third dull one instead of the new one, both guys would most likely be paraplegics if not dead. That completely altered my understanding of just how critical one little piece of aluminum can be. I had massive bruises on both legs from getting whipped up off the ground when both guys fell. I was to blame too as I used myself as a link in the belay system, never again would I put myself where I was subject to the load.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
highorder said:
carabiners are wear items, not to be pushed past their service life. I have seen hard-ano rescue 8's though.
+1 to this comment - if you're using them for climbing, having hard coat III ano shouldn't matter. If you drop a carabiner from more than a few feet of the ground, you should stop using it immediately in weight-bearing applications such as climbing - they can develop hairline cracks, which can turn into... well, you know.

However, if you're using it for clipping your keys or something else to your person, where they're not holding anything more than a few pounds, I'd say HA III, go for it!