Small fixed blade suggestions needed.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

jymkym_1

Newly Enlightened
looking for any suggestions on a small fixed blade "any brand" around 6 inches or less with a hard sheath, maybe with a clip of some sort on the sheath....looking to spend up to $100.00......thnx for any help......

jymkym_1

Newly Enlightened
just looking for a small everyday carry fixed blade to do anything from cutting rope and straps to opening boxes etc, who knows i might even clean a squirrel with it.......just checked out a couple from CRKT that looked good....... any other suggestions????

Last edited:

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend folders for EDC because of the legal issues in most states.

I really do like the ozark trail fixed blade for walmart, and at 10 dollars you cant go wrong.

Swamp rat knife works makes great knifes, but most are in the 150-200 dollar range.

I like these but I know some dont:
http://www.1sks.com/store/crkt-ultima.html

This one isnt bad either
http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/S...111d/Action/Vendor_Prod/CatId/720/ProdId/4045

I'm a big fan of CRKT for fixed blades in the 50 dollar range.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Absolutely ditto on checking out some of Bark River's blades! Take a look at the Mini-Northstar...

Sharpdogs

Enlightened

jason_01

Newly Enlightened
For a little more you can get a custom made knife, Gene Ingram does some lovely work at very reaonable prices

http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/

I dont own one of his knives (make my own) but I have handled them and I know of many very satisfied owners.

Last edited:

Grubbster

Enlightened
Bark River has a real beauty that they just announced here . It should be available soon. It looks like it will be right around $100 retail.

cy

Flashaholic
I've got a Newt Livesay Woo available for $75 to $125 depending upon handle and ti option...

this is a wicked custom made knife that's no longer in production. each kydex shealth is custom formed to that particular blade.

this is no nonsense millitary grade neck knife, perfect for a last ditch backup.

Newt Livesay is known as the master heat treat! these knives are meant to be used and holds their edge well.

woo kydex size3.jpg

woo excu.JPG

Last edited:

guyg

Newly Enlightened
The Bark River Mini Canadian and Mikro Canadian are both good small EDC sized fixed blades. The mikro is comfortable in the stock sheath and dropped in a front pocket. Or you can have a clip pouch made for it. Or Sagecreek Outfitters sells a dandy Kydex sheath that makes a good neck knife or will fit in a pocket.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello!

One that maybe considered is the Drop Point Neck Knife by Pat & Wes Crawford that is 6" OAL w/2 1/2" blade. Also check out the knives built by Mickey Yurco.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

gailt

Newly Enlightened
as others have stated check out the smaller bark river knives.the fallkniven WM1 also comes to mind and its available with a kydex sheath.others to consider the benchmade outbounders and activator(model 210 or 211) are nice little knives but you would need an after market sheath.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
If you do look at the Ontario Rats, they have them now in D2 which makes really really great blades.

skip the CRKT< the Bucks< and the Gerbers unless you find one that is not the 420 -440A grades of steel that are now common from these once respected makers. They can still make good knives, but the pressure from the Big box retailers to make price points has really cut into the quality of the basic line knives.

In most cases I recommend skipping the AUS series too as they are very touchy about heat treat, ALmar does a good job, so does spyderco, but others seem to have difficulty getting it right.

Benchmade, spyderco, RAT, Fallkniven, knives of Alaska, and others are still making Good knives at resonable prices for what you get.

Steels to look for are: the D2, the A2, ATS 34, 154 cm, 12c27 from sandvik, and the CPM lines of S30v and S60 V, there are some others I might have missed. Also the old standby 440C is still good when treated right. the qualtiy of steel available to the modern manufacturer are outstanding. Micro melts of the high quality steels mean that toughness, hardness and edge retention levels are at levels old makers could only hope for, while prices are in moderate for the Quality available .

Alhough only spyderco is making in folders, the newly released H1 steels are really a new breakthru, having no carbon in them, they do not react with o2 and there for can not rust. They get harder as you work them, and they use nitrogen in place of the carbon to get the same postives of the high carbon stainless with the inertness of the nitrogen for corrosion resistance. I am waiting from someone to make a good small work knife of H1 steel in a fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts