I'm tired of double-clicking (when one click is needed)

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have windows set to 'single click' launching of applications and documents because I hate double clicking. When I am browsing the internet, then move to another program, then switch back to browsing, the first click often just wakes up the browser instead of activating the button I'm trying to press. Then I have to press again to click on a button that should have only needed one click.

What am I doing wrong?

I use a logitech tracball. I like it a lot better than a mouse.

carrot

Flashaholic
This is because whatever application you are using does not support something called "click-through". This tends to be default behavior (and on OSX there are clearly defined guidelines for how to support it) that an application needs to have focus (be the topmost window, in most cases) in order to receive both mouse and keyboard input.

You could always get around it by using TweakUI (a free utility from Microsoft) and setting "focus follows mouse," which is my preferred mousing schema.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I just never tried that option. It works great. Now I'm trying to find out whether to use auto-raise... I decided not to use auto raise. I can overlap my windows enough to access them.