Handheld AutoPower Off - Is this normal

rekcebnayrb

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

For handheld lasers of higher powers, is it normal for them to autopower-off after a small amount of time? I contacted the manufacturor and they told me this was to protect the laser from damage caused by over heating.

Did I get ripped off, or is this normal?

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
If you own an RPL or PPL the laser has a heat sensor that shuts it off if it gets to a heat that could damage the diode. If you have one of the small pointer sized lasers, this is likely not the case, but it all depends on what type of laser you have. Could you either provide pictures or information about what type/manufacturer the laser is?

rekcebnayrb

Newly Enlightened
Not sure the manufacturer... got it off ebay... wasn't a bad deal and I figured the price was worth the risk.

Maybe this will help... it basically looks like the generic pointer everyone is selling. It does not have the fat heat-sink head, and looks more like a pen.

I don't really mind it turning off, but are there some that don't turn off? That is, did I get a sucky laser, or do all the high power ones do this?

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
This doesn't sound like normal operation for a pen-sized pointer, but I guess its possible. Can you post a link to the auction?

rekcebnayrb

Newly Enlightened
Well I'd rather not point to the auction because it is a friend/aquaintance of mine in the UK, and we agreed to a special hook-up pricing before he listed.... don't want to shame his name if you know what I mean.
I can just tell you I know he wouldn't cheat me (that is, he sold me what he said he would), but I can tell you that he may not be aware that his lasers suck.

What should I tell him? The output of this laser was supposed to be 150mW. I knew that was insane for this type of laser, but that's part of the reason why I wanted to check it out.

wells05

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean by short period of use? Most pen style pointers have a duty cycle of like 100 sec on, 30-60 sec off. If it goes dim or off in a short period of time, you probably have a modded laser, and the diode can't handle it. It could just be a crap laser as well. Does the casing get hot to the touch? IF so, how long does it take?

Last edited:

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
His PM says it only goes 3-5 seconds. I don't know of any pen sized pointers with auto shut off, but I don't know about every model out there either. I was thinking it might be one of the ones at http://www.spymodex.com/laser002.htm, but I don't believe they have auto shut off.

The thing that confuses me though is that if it doesn't have built in auto-shut off, what could be causing the laser to suddenly stop outputting, but still work? So yeah, without more information about it I'm not really sure what to say.

rekcebnayrb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. I am pretty sure I just have a dud. I'm going to talk to my friend and see what we can do about it.

wells05:
When you say most pen style pointers have a duty cycle of 100sec on, 30off, does that mean that they actually turn themselves off after 100sec, or just that it's the user's responsibility to not leave it on for more than 100sec?

Thanks

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
For most pointers like WickedLaser pointers it is the users responsibility to turn them off. The RPL and PPL are pretty much the only ones I know that do it automatically. Also I've found that in practice, WL's quoted off cycle is insufficient to cool down their higher powered lasers, so those figures might not be completely accurate.

wells05

Newly Enlightened
Users respnsibility. The pen pointers don't have adequate heat sinks, so they need time to cool down. I let a modded leadlight run for a while, just because I wanted to see what would happen. It ran fine for over two minutes, then dimmed really fast to less than 5 mW. I was lucky, as it still worked fine after I let it cool down, but I would guess it probably should have damaged the diode. I would guess that yours has a damaged diode.

Should have asked earlier, have you tried new/different batteries?

Make sure battery conncetions are clean. Also might try sticking a bit of tin foil between the battery and cover to make sure it has a good connection. I doubt this has anything to do with it as you seem to be getting a connection, worth a shot though.

Last edited:

kinesis

Banned
if its a modified laser its generating far more heat then it's designed to handle, which would cause it to heat up real quick, then the APC (Auto power control) turns the laser off to protect it from damage a lot faster than with a stock rated pointer. thats why my 100+ mw lasers have heatsinks to absorb the heat better.

livetofall

Newly Enlightened
OH BOY... this does sound like his "friend" is spymodex.com...read the thread "Ebay rubbish..or is it?" I am waitning to get my 150mw which he supposedly tests. I know one thing..he jerked me off on shipping charges. charges 15 GSB = approx 32 USD. i went on Royalmail site. by my estimation ended up about 15-20 USD for handling. Plaes read those threads. I am not going to hesitate blackmarking spymodex and negative feedback, when i find someone to measure and it doesnt add up. I write more on my personal thread "see what happens..."

So what kind of special deal did you work out???
I included my winninng link..please, we all want to know.This Forum is to help each other out!

livetofall

Newly Enlightened
this sure sounds like spymodex.. i lost me last comment...so anyway check out thread " more Ebay rubbish..or is it?" i am waitng for my Ebay win from spymodex, who may I mention is going by a different ebay name than the rubbish thread link. check out that thread and my thread

This forum is to help everyone out..put out!!
lets see the link to your win! i did.
give credit where credits due..and blackmark where that is needed.
This is a family of people obsessed by lasers..the knowlegable and the just plain fixated that know nothing.
If this person is selling crap, i wouldnt consider him a freind, dishonest people suck. What realy sucks is when they are too far away, like the UK to kick the livin sh__ out of!

bootleg2go

Enlightened
livetofall said:
this sure sounds like spymodex.. i lost me last comment...so anyway check out thread " more Ebay rubbish..or is it?" i am waitng for my Ebay win from spymodex, who may I mention is going by a different ebay name than the rubbish thread link. check out that thread and my thread

This forum is to help everyone out..put out!!
lets see the link to your win! i did.
give credit where credits due..and blackmark where that is needed.
This is a family of people obsessed by lasers..the knowlegable and the just plain fixated that know nothing.
If this person is selling crap, i wouldnt consider him a freind, dishonest people suck. What realy sucks is when they are too far away, like the UK to kick the livin sh__ out of!

Hi Rob,
I'll test it for you and give you a print of the output power plot for 20 seconds up to 3 minutes if you like. I use the Coherent field Master GS meter and it does statistical analysis of the beam output power, power stability and pointing stability. It's response is very flat across the whole visual and IR spectrum, much better than my cheapo lasercheck meter which is super sensitive to the IR spectrum. If the lasercheck is set to 532nm, it will report 40-50mW of output for each 1mW of IR.

Have a good one.
Jack

livetofall

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jack, if Im lucky there is someone close by so i dont have to be without it on its long trip to Colorado and back. Ofcourse im going to have to play with it a little while first :devil: hopefully after you check it I wont have to make a special trip to the UK:xyxgun: This is why I was going to buy from you first Jack, but I still am gong to get that superbeast you have one I get healed up, back to work and money up:sold:

Anyone out there that has the eyes to read and the ears to listen, wait before buying impatiently on Ebay, and do searches by company on this site.

As your dad would say: do as I say not do as I do:whistle: