3AA to D cell battery holder.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remeber this battery hoder we were all looking at a while back?

3AA_To_D_Cell.1.jpg

Well, an associate of mine found it's source. However, they insist on bogarting the thing
icon13.gif
. So, what to do? We are going to open up a mold and make them ourselves!
icon14.gif
Should be available in about a month.
grin.gif
Should be priced at approximately $2.50 to $3.00 each.

This battery holder holds 3 AA batteries, and is exactly the same size as a D cell battery. So two will fit perfectly into a 2D flashlight for 9 volts, or 7.2 with rechargables. You could use 3 or 4 or 5, whatever, to get the voltage you need to do whatever.
grin.gif

Working on behalf of all CPF members, to get the parts we need, to do the mods we want. Actually I really want them for a 5 watt flashlight I'm working on, but will share them with anyone who wants them.
grin.gif

So how about a 2D *ag*ite, using two of these battery holders. Mount a 5W of your color choice, and use the new 30mm optics. Sounds nice, huh?

Whadya think?
winkie.GIF

Wayne J.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Now if only somebody could easily make a 4AA to D holder. Lol. Hmm, I still have some 6AA holders...unfortunately no D cell lights any more. Wayne, THANK you for taking the initiative here! I'll probably be buying a few in case I want to mod a 3 D cell light that I wouldn't be able to mod with a 6 cell holder alone...maybe with a 6 and a 3..not sure what to do with the 10.8 volts though. I am sure I'll figure out something.

Spud

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Tater Rocket:
Now if only somebody could easily make a 4AA to D holder. Lol. Hmm, I still have some 6AA holders...unfortunately no D cell lights any more. Wayne, THANK you for taking the initiative here! I'll probably be buying a few in case I want to mod a 3 D cell light that I wouldn't be able to mod with a 6 cell holder alone...maybe with a 6 and a 3..not sure what to do with the 10.8 volts though. I am sure I'll figure out something.

Spud
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, 4AA's would be 6 volts (or 4.8 in rechargables.) An off voltage for the Luxeon Star. Of course, for the HID mods, this would be good.

Wayne J.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Yeah, I know :) I'm not planning HID (too high cost) so much as 20-35 watt MR16's in a 3D mag
smile.gif
4D is a bit long, 3D would be great. Plus, for $20 you can get one of those and a Mini-*ag (for even more mods or selling to recoupe a bit of cost).

Spud

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electrolumens:

I have one of these battery holders. As Mr. Bulk reported, they are a little too wide for current Mag D lights. They fit into my Brinkmann D, Nordic D, Dorcy D, Garrity D, SL-20X, and older Mag Charger bodies. They seem to be the same diameter as my 3V LiSO2 7.5 Ah lithium cells.

They also fit into Dorcy/Garrity adapters for 4D cells into one lantern cell.

Maybe you can refine the mold to shrink the OD a little. The contacts on the original are fussy enough that I experience intermittent open failures, particularly with rechargeables.

I'm interested in at least a dozen at the $2.50 @ since I have lots of lights they fit. Many people will be unhappy because Mags are too tight.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne,

If you're making the mold the final product will be sized for a Mag, right?

Put me down for at least 4 of them.

Jon

kimgkimg

Newly Enlightened
Wayne,
Definitely interested in some of these if you get them produced. Put me down for at least 4 of them as well.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should fit in the "older" mags (circa 1985) just fine though... Mine is and older one and the ID is bigger. 36mm if my measuring stick is correct. I would like 3 of them but i am overcommitted at this point. Perhaps someone will have some left over in a month or so?

Deviant

Enlightened
Wayne,

I believe that this 3AA to D cell batt is a series configuration. I belive some might be interested in an adapter running these 3 batts in parallel.

Lester

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
(O-o)

Does anybody besides Brock really want to do 3AA packs in parallel? Most readily purchaseable applications can benefit from doubled voltage more than doubled current delivery capability. Most flashlights have internal resistances that argue against significantly higher currents.

Besides, use of NiMH AA's can get the current up to 1.0 A and 1.9 A or so before voltage drops to around 1.1 V and 1.0 V per cell, respectively.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
i will take four also, assuming the price is around 2.50.
thanks Wayne

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
I'm still on the hunt for a 2D flashlight that will take 3 stacks of 4 AA's (total of 12 AA's. One could then have two sets of 6 AA's, one on each side, supplying 7.2V each. This would be great for a 5W LS or a W/S 01274 7.2V 2.77A 552L lamp. Anyone know of a 2D flashlight that can fit 4AA's in the tailcap? It would still need enough length but most 2D's do. I'm in the process of doing this with my Nordic 2C and 12AAA's. Instead of a battery holder, I'm making a shrinkwrapped battery pack using RC enthusiast methods. It fits beautifully. All you need is a charger that can handle them which I also recently picked up. This one is going to get a 5W LS when they get here.

Lemlux, do you have any Nordic 2D's?

StreamChucker

LongThrow

Newly Enlightened
3 AA in a D cell,
Now we are talking! A 2D 5 watt LS with Wayne's optics (and the other Wayne's Wizard regulator) would make the perfect retina burn
grin.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif

Wayne, are you planning on a regulated option?

Brock

Flashaholic
Ya, I think I am the only crazy one wanting this in a parallel config (going in corner and staring at floor). Actually I have managed to get 4 8AA holders in the same space as the 8 D were, works great. But the other two lights have to be D cell sized holders so I am stuck using the AA to D adapters.

Someday someone will make them, and I will be there to buy all 16 of them
smile.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamchucker:

No Nordic 2D's. I have 5 Nordic 3D's, 4 Nordic 3C's, and 8 Nordic 2 C's. As you know, I got them on EBAY for $1 @ for the 2C's, $3 @ for the 3C's, and $5 @ for the 3D's. (shipping averaged between $1.50 and $2.00 per light.)

I think I may have told you that I can fit sub C's in the C tailcaps unlike Mags which won't. I can't fit a D cell in the D tailcap or a C cell in the C tailcaps.

Please show pics of your battery pack.

12 AAA's will give you 1500 mAh at 7.2 V in serial / parallel. Interesting concept for a 2C.

I've just ordered (or tried to order) some Copia Lithium-ions. The 16.5mm by 50 mm LRB-150B's deliver 3.7 V and 1000 mAh. the 16.5mm by 68 mm LRB-168B's deliver 3.7 V and 1400 mAh. I can easily fit two of the longer ones in a 2C. I ordered the 16.5 mm diameter ones so I can use them in Surefires also.

The 18.5 mm diameter 68 mm long LRB-168A batteries have a capacity of 1800 mA if you want more capacity and want a size that's between A (17mm) and Sub C (23 mm).

You won't get 7.2 V output driving a 2.77 A bulb at 1.8C. You'll probably voltage drop to around 6 volts.

I hope to drive a 01274 bulb with 3 of the 3.0 V 7.5 Ah Saft primary Li-SO2 primary D cells discussed in another thread. Voltage drop should be to around 7.6 V. to 7.7 V. I've cut off a dead SF Pxx LA and drilled the center hole to accept a T-2 1/4 bulb. I've then epoxied the SF reflector to the top of the threaded bulb retainer.

Patty at Carley is now confirming for me whether or not Carley can make custom variants of their 912 PR potted socket with ceramic potting rather than soft plastic potting. The 912 socket is rated for 1.0 amp max and I haven't pushed a 912 socket beyond 1.42 A.

Back on topic.....
If I can't arrange for a potted 912 socket, the 3AA adapter will allow me to run some interesting bulbs with current in tthe 1.2 to 1.5 Amp range.

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
Lemlux, I was going to use the AAA pack to drive a 5W LS. I want a 2D so I can use 12 AA's in a battery pack to drive the 7.2V W/S bulb. That should give me 4200mah if I use the Sony 2100mah AA's I have coming. I was going to ask you if you thought that would work or should I go to Nicads to make sure it is driven properly without much voltage drop.

I'm ordering some Copia's too. I picked up a Garrity Stainless AA a while back to fit two of these in for the other 5W LS I have coming. It should give me 7.4V 1000mah or over an hour of run time in a 2AA size rechargeable flashlight. I paid $10 for mine. I see everyone is now talking about them being super cheap at Walmart right now. I may need to go pick up some more.

StreamChucker

Latest posts