Glow Beads

tomdooley62

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any experience using craft glow beads for lanyards? I have found some at Wal Mart and they do pretty good. But would really like to find some that are brighter. Any input?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Those are reflective beads on the thread you linked, DC. Tom's talking about beads for lanyards, not traffic ones.

Tom, the vast majority of glow beads are made out of Zn-based glow compounds. They glow like mad initially, but the glow doesn't last as long as Strontium Aluminate glow material.

You could make your own, though. ;)

tomdooley62

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for clearing up my question. I should have said these were like craft beads not the type used in road markings and such.

How in the world would I make my own glow beads?

greenLED

Flashaholic
tomdooley62 said:
Thanks for clearing up my question. I should have said these were like craft beads not the type used in road markings and such.

How in the world would I make my own glow beads?
You can mix glo-powder with a lot of different mediums. I just made some crude RTV GID sheets over the weekend, just for the fun of it. You can also use two-part epoxy and molds, and I'm sure you could add the powder to something like Fimo :)thinking: - hmmm... I'll have to try that!). :)