Anyone Else Getting These Foreign Language, (NON-English), Spams?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting a TON of foreign lanuage spams lately and a lot of them are getting through my spam filter. I don't know what language they are but it's becoming more and more common. Anyone else notice this?

When I go into properties, I also notice that that they are being sent from English addresses. Why would they send them to English speaking addresses?

snowleopard

Newly Enlightened
One theory is that the spammers are testing the spam filters by sending various nonsense emails to see how they get filtered. Some people expect that the next generation of spam will use these results.

Gene: The other possibility is that you many admirers singing your praises in many languages. :laughing:

--Walter

snowleopard

Newly Enlightened
A little more spam:
Some spam filters (Bayesian) use statistical techniques to train themselves to recognize spam; they run lots of spam and non-spam through and the filter 'learns' which is which. The theory is that some of these spams may intend to make the filters 'unlearn' what some spam is like.
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/09/1523207&tid=111
I don't really know if these theories are true.
--Walter

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I get mostly English and German and a few Spanisch and other strange languages.
About 100 per day.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
English, Spanish, and Japanese here. A few Chinese ones, but they are sort of translated into English.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah Walter, I'm popular in other countries. :)

These look like Russian or maybe Arabic. Maybe I'm a target for terrorists! Seriously, they have been really piling up lately.

Latest posts