New reflector for old LSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm going to pull the optic out of my LSH and replace it with a reflector. I already have the head open, so that's no big deal. I have an IMS17, an IMS20, and a McR-18.

Which should I use? I'm partial to the McR-18, but I thought I read somewhere that it takes a little turning down to get it to fit correctly. If that's the case, I'm not interested.

Am I going to need to get some o-rings or shims or something to get any of these to fit properly?

mosport

Enlightened
The IMS 17mm fits without any fuss, it's pretty much a straight replacement for the original optic. The only thing I've noticed is that the ARC bezel opening is slightly wider than the IMS by about 0.5mm so you will get some overlap where it meets the lens.

But since you're already modding... the McR-18 is a first class reflector and will fit better than the IMS after 5 mins worth of work. Some have used a lathe to reduce height off the wide end, 300-400 grit sandpaper also works well. I took 1.5mm height off my McR-18 by working the reflector in small circles over the sandpaper. There shouldn't be any dust when you're finished since the reflector is held inverted. But in case there is, a can of computer duster will take care of things.

Derek

Reima

Enlightened
Just yesterday I measured the stock optic and the McR 18, the reflector is 0.59 mm taller.
RC
Corrected reflector type.
RC

Last edited:

mahoney

Enlightened
I like the McR-18 as well, it gives a very nice beam. It's a little longer than the stock optic, but it drops right in and I have not noticed the extra internal length to be a problem with any of my battery packs yet. Give it a try first, you can always take it back out and cut it down later if there's a problem

greenLED

Flashaholic
Reima said:
Just yesterday I measured the stock optic and the McR 19, the reflector is 0.59 mm taller.
RC
Something's not right. The McR18 is 12mm tall and when using it in stock form, the o-ring the LS tail is just barely covered by the body. The McR19 is 20.64mm tall, which means the o-ring in the tail wouldn't engage the body at all.

An NX-05 or Fraen LP are around 11mm tall, IIRC.

Reima

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Something's not right. The McR18 is 12mm tall.

An NX-05 or Fraen LP are around 11mm tall, IIRC.

With my digital calipers the McR18 measured 12.02mm and the NX-05 measured 11.43mm.
RC

mosport

Enlightened
Should add that I took removed 1.5mm from the McR-18 so that it would fit in a modded ARC LS with FLuPIC drop in. Since this light engine setup is thicker than the original ARC metal core PCB, more material was sanded off to compensate.
So if replacing an optic with original ARC board, you won't need to take off as much.

Here's a good thread on shortening McR-18's (started by greenLED) with a response post by Don himself. The original unmodded setup allows 72.49 degrees of reflection, while shortening 1mm yields 75.24 deg (+3.4%)and 78.32 deg (+8% ) at 2mm reduction. I like using McR-18's with a 'joker' LUX for a wider hotspot.

As Reima measured, the difference in height between McR-18 and NX-05 is only 0.6mm. I'll be modding another McR-18 and will post pics!

Justone

Newly Enlightened
Where do you usually buy MCR-18? The sandwich shop does not have any right now.

IMS-17 in my ARC LSH Flupic changed its shape ,because of the heat from the emitter. I am using thermal compound though.

Justone

mosport

Enlightened
That's where I usually buy McR-18's Justone, looks like Wayne's on vacation till mid-week so perhaps try contacting him for availability.

Bombel, the pics haven't been taken (yet...) :whistle:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
No news to report. I've got the McR-18, and pretty much decided that's the way I'm going to go. I just need to find my calipers and some fine grit sandpaper, and I'm going to take about 0.6 mm off the front of the McR-18. I figure then it'll be a drop in replacement for the Fraen that is in there now. Of course, the Fraen makes a really nice beam too, and that is slowing me down a little.

In case you were wondering, this is for the LSH that now wears your CR2 pack. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.