Has anyone added a second receiver to their DirectTV?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mother has had a single receiver system for awhile. She bought a second receiver at Circuit City and the last time I was visiting she asked me to connect it. I've done some research and determined that we need to run a second coax to the dish. However I'm not sure how to get the new receiver recognized by the satellite. Also, do they charge more if you have more than one receiver?

J_Oei

Enlightened
You need to get a 4x4 box to multiplex the feeds from the satellite to your receiver.
Take a look at the cables coming out of the feedhorns
and see what they go into. It should be a small square box (6 inches or so) that have the signals coming in and the cable to the receiver going out. If there is another empty out space, you only have to run a cable from here to the second receiver.
If you don't have this box, you need to get one.

DirecTV will charge extra ($5?/month) for the second receiver.

wmirag

Enlightened
Note;

If you have TWO cables running to each receiver, then you can watch one live event ad record another live event. Or you can record two live events and watch a prerecorded event.

With only ONE cable connected, you can only record or watch one live event at a time.

W.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
She doesn't have DVR's, so from what I've read we only need one coax running to each receiver.