Emergency Flashlight Case

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tooks some pictures of an Otter Case that I packed tightly with flashlights useful for an extended power outage. All of the lights are loaded with Lithium Batteries so they store well over an extended period. There is a Yellow Tritium Vial in there so it's easier to find the case in the dark too.

I'll name all the items after the pictures. enjoy...

EmergencyOtterBox.gif

OpenedOtterBox.gif

InsideOtterBox.gif

Contents:
Fenix L1P with 2-stage tail (AA Lithium battery inside)
Fenix L1P 2.0 (AA Lithium battery inside)
Ghost II with AA Lithium battery inside
Ghost II with AA Lithium battery inside
SIX (6) spare AA Lithium batteries
Cyclops Headlamp
Energizer Headlamp with 3 AAA Lithium batteries loaded
RED Flasher with 2 AAA Lithium batteries. (Guess I should get one more to use as 3 AAA spares.)
Pak-Lite SUPER White LED Flashlight with Lithium 9V Battery
Pak-Lite SUPER White LED Flashlight with Lithium 9V Battery
Spare Lithium 9V Battery (I have another Pak-Lite on my night-stand that would easily fit this case)
Solar powered 5mm Flashlight

Culhain

Enlightened
Good idea. I was thinking along those lines earlier today. I stopped by my local knife store/SureFire dealer to pick up some extra batteries, just to have one hand. The store packed the dozen SureFire 123s in a ziplock bag which I tossed on the back seat of my car. A couple of hours later, when I got home, I noticed that the bag and batteries were quite warm. DOH !! The Pelican and Otter cases that Battery Station will ship batteries in was the first thought that came to mind.

Your idea of storing a couple of lights with your reserve batteries makes good sense.

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
what is the purpose of packing duplicates? For someone else to use?

It looks very strategic for indoor use :D.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
glockboy said:
Don't used airtight case when store Li-on cell, li-on cell need to vent or :poof:

Just wondering where you got that info from? If that is true i need to get my li-on out of my otter cases? Anyone?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, really! I'd like to understand how that is possible.

The extra lights such as the Ghost II and the Ghost II with the Mag clip duct-taped to it, for wearing on a baseball cap as a headlamp, are give-aways for the neighbors etc. :)

frisco

Enlightened
glockboy said:
Don't used airtight case when store Li-on cell, li-on cell need to vent or :poof:

I'm gonna step up and question this statement. Is this your theory or findings? Or has this been documentated/tested/proven somewhere?

I mean no disrespect to you or anybody. If this is true we should get the word out. But if it's not accurate, it doesn't seem fair to the manufacters/dealers that sell these cases specifically for Lithium battery storage.

I for one store/travel with Lithium batteries packed nicely in Pelican/Otter type cases!

frisco

RadarGreg

Enlightened
If there was a risk of exploding batteries that can't vent, then every flashlight that has an o-ring and is watertight would be exploding all the time. I've never had a waterproof flashlight that uses Li-on batteries hiss at me when I opened it, so I don't think it is outgassing that much.

G1K

Newly Enlightened
The foam liner in the bottom of the case will easily absorb the normal venting of a cell (if there is really any considerable venting)

R

vector_joe

Newly Enlightened
I think that alkalines will vent much more. For example the 4aa propolymer lux has both a catalyst and a one way vent to release gas.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I can not find anything that suggests that battery storage in an airtight container is of any concern.

Using batteries with them in a sealed container can sometimes present some issues, but storage is of no concern.

Temperature can be a problem during storage, but as long as you keep your cells above 0 F and below 86 F, you can store any chemistry. Some chemistries can go colder or hotter, but if you stay within these values you are good for all chemistries.

Tom

*Retired*
Just a side note, Duracell notes in some of their app. notes, that their DL123A Lithium cells produce less than 0.2mL of methane during discharge. This does not mean that all lithium cells hold this standard, it is mentioned, so it makes me wonder why they are careful to specify it. Some cells do slowly discharge over time, including "faulty" lithiums. As I recall, Alkaline cells also produce Hydrogen during discharge, and I have seen warnings in app. notes about this, and have seen the phrase about not sealing a product due to this, over and over.

Though I do wonder, with the large surface area, and with the plastic that is utilized, if the hydrogen would permeate the plastic walls anyhow, such that there wouldn't be a build-up over time.

Also, don't store metal items in battery cases with batteries in the case.

I know all this is very obvious and many old cpf'ers know this, but there are alot of new faces.

Just something to note, not implying anything at all, one way or another.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
Just a side note, Duracell notes in some of their app. notes, that their DL123A Lithium cells produce less than 0.2mL of methane during discharge. This does not mean that all lithium cells hold this standard, it is mentioned, so it makes me wonder why they are careful to specify it. Some cells do slowly discharge over time, including "faulty" lithiums. As I recall, Alkaline cells also produce Hydrogen during discharge, and I have seen warnings in app. notes about this, and have seen the phrase about not sealing a product due to this, over and over.

Though I do wonder, with the large surface area, and with the plastic that is utilized, if the hydrogen would permeate the plastic walls anyhow, such that there wouldn't be a build-up over time.

Also, don't store metal items in battery cases with batteries in the case.

I know all this is very obvious and many old cpf'ers know this, but there are alot of new faces.

Just something to note, not implying anything at all, one way or another.
Hmmm. I'm not sure what to take from this? :thinking:

What is your stand on this particular Otter case issue of storing these items with batteries in this Otter case? Also why not store metal items (like flashlights?) in battery cases with batteries in the case?

phatalbert

Enlightened
CroMAGnet said:
give-aways for the neighbors etc. :)

Is it so your neighbors can get a help out in a time of need or for your personal satisfaction of spreading flashlights around the neighborhood? :lolsign:

P.S. Nice kit! It's good to see some flashlights for purposes other than "wowing" our friends (pak-lite, unregulated headlamps, Ghost-II) :rock:

Last edited:

Blazer

Enlightened
Pelican cases have a vent built into them, they call it a "Pressure Equalization Valve" and it's on every pelican case I've purchased/seen. Wouldn't this solve the problem (?) of an exploding case.
I carry lights and lithium primaries in Pelican cases all the time, I'm not worried, if they're not safe in there, then I shouldn't be carrying them.

clipse

Enlightened
Here is mine. Its just a simple pelican 1010 case with HDS EDC U60, Fenix P1, and 8 spare batteries. :)

edcpacked.jpg

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
frisco said:
I'm gonna step up and question this statement. Is this your theory or findings? Or has this been documentated/tested/proven somewhere?

I mean no disrespect to you or anybody. If this is true we should get the word out. But if it's not accurate, it doesn't seem fair to the manufacters/dealers that sell these cases specifically for Lithium battery storage.

I for one store/travel with Lithium batteries packed nicely in Pelican/Otter type cases!

frisco

I know the Pelican 1010 case I use for my 123's has a vent on the front side of the case... and its still watter tite.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
So how do you like the Ghost IIs? I was thinking of getting a couple to go along with other gifts this holiday season. I'm also leaning toward the 8 LED model as it is a bit slimmer, etc ...

Yes, I am hoping to get my shopping done early this year ... and flashlights will abound. :D

Robban

Enlightened
I just opened an Otter box I had in a drawer. It's not exactly the same as the Pelicans but very close I think. I couldn't find any pressure release valve in it. It had 3 batterystation CR123a's in it and they've been in there for probably a year or more since the last time I opened it. I got a very VERY slight pop sound out of it but I'm not sure if that was because of gas or just the gasket being a wee bit stuck to the lid.

I'd like to get a few boxes similiar to the one in the first post but the price puts me off a bit (I have to import them).