good boots?

eart

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. I need a suggestion on a good pair of boots. I'm sick of crappy quality addidas sneakers and what not - they don't last more than 6 months for me.

Here's what I'm looking for:

o Quality and durability - must last a while
o Attractiveness - must look reasonably good (with jeans, shorts, etc)
o Lighweight - I do a lot of walking. I dont want to cary 10 pounds.

It kinda seems like issue army boots would fit the bill. I'm sure you guys know something better though. Any suggestions?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Balance has a good line of shoes and also have the Dunham(?) line of boots.
I put about 1000 miles of measured walking on them before they go into everyday use. Two years or so ago I started a job which includes about 8 hours of warehoulse work a week and have worn the same shoes almost every day. One of them is actually through the tread, however it is the side I pivot on for about two hours evey week.
They last, they come in different widths and there are a lot of models that I think look good.

nethiker

Enlightened
If you want a good heavy duty boot, Whites and Danners are popular choices, but they tend to emphasize heavy.

The best, most comfortable pair of casual boot I've ever had are my Ecco's. They have both a high top and low top model. I have the high tops which provide great support and yet are flexible enough to be comfortable all day. Look great with Jeans as well.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
No recommendations, but a good place to check out a lot of styles is Zappos.

There are customer reviews and views from every angle of the product.

(I've shopped at Zappos ever since Sasha bought her 'Red Shoes' there.)

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's weird. I normally wear doc's and that's about it.

This winter I took a risk on a $23.00 pair of Wal-Mart hikers...

Now for the weird part

They are THE BEST!!! sooooo comfortable!!!!

only $23.00.... Unreal deal

CLHC

Flashaholic
Like what nethiker recommended—Danners! There's also Red Wing's. I've been using their pair of boots for 15 years everyday for work. Then there's another one that custom makes boots to your specifications. Catskill Mountain Moccasins. Also Ariat. . .

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.sierratradingpost.com Wide selection with some really good specials from time to time. They also do free shipping sometimes.

For serious work boots, I don't shop. I just go to RedWing and pay the price.

edit - I just checked and they have free shipping for over $75 thru Sunday.

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
For hiking boots, I'd recommend Raichle. Not cheap but wow, are they comfortable. The pair I own now are two or three years old and still in great shape. I had a pair when I was much, much younger and hiked a lot. They lasted for ten years of heavy wear and tear and were only resoled once. Worth every penny to me.

freakflag

Newly Enlightened
You might consider Eastern Mountain Sport's Summit GTX II. Excellent boots. Gore tex lined, Vibram soles and they wear like iron. I am VERY hard on shoes and these last me on average between 2-3 years before they are relegated to work boots.

EDIT: Plus, you can get them in wides.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
Danners are the best out there right now for off the shelf boots.

They are fairly heavy but they work.

there are some newer boots out there that are making inroads.

the marine boots now being used in Iraq are supposed to be having good reviews.

True USA made Irish setters by red wing are good too.

Raichle and Asolo make good boots, They have more than one set of levels too. you better look hard at making the decisions re these. As i have found that some that being sold as these are really bulgarian or chinese knockoffs.

snowleopard

Newly Enlightened
The best are what fit your feet best! From there, it goes from running shoes to light hiking boots to heavy leather boots to insulated double mountaineering boots.
I like Raichle because they fit me best, but expensive.
--Walter