R123 and Surefire L1

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone been successful in using R123 Li-Ion cells in their Surefire L1? I'm thinking about getting this light and would like to know if it can use rechargeables.
Does the cells fit or are they to fat? I'm especially insterested in knowing if AW's protected cells will fit.
Will the electronics and LED handle the higher voltage from the Li-Ion?
As I understand it is unregulated in low mode, so it should be brighter when using Li-Ion, has anyone measured how much?
I'm also interested in knowing how long it runs in high mode with Li-Ion.

Sigbjoern

Max Brightness

Enlightened
This is what I have learned from the CPF pages before buying my L1 a year or so ago and some personal experience. If anyone has different news, I am all ears.

- I haven't found a protected cell that will fit nicely. I tried the 3.0 lithium rechargeables and i could push one in, and it was very difficult to get back out. I got so distracted by trying to get it out, I didn't actually try to see if worked in the light.
- Unprotected batteries will fit, but I understand that the voltage on electronics is ok, but not for the LED. I have put my L2 head on my L1 and used the unprotected cell just to see if it worked and the L2 head lights. I haven't done long term studies for the effects of this on the electronics.

cy

Flashaholic
ran R123 unprotected for loads of cycles before selling L1. sure miss that light...

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two L1s that were modded by Milkyspit (Milky L1s) and the batteries last so long with primaries that its one of the only lights that I really have no need for rechargeables in. They really last a long time in that light.

MSax

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think, not sure, that the L1 uses a buck/boost circuit. Older KL1's were buck/boost 3-9 volts. I need to do more research on this.

Bill

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problem using JS Burly R123's in my Milky L1. They fit well. I concur with with MSaxatilus that primaries last so long I haven't been using my R123's in my L1. My backup battery carrier for the L1 has become my Fenix P1.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple of questions. Whats the Milkyspit mod for the L1?

Is there a output-regulation-runtime plot for the L1 on R123s? I'm thinking about getting this light but I'm also thinking of getting an E1L also.

The one thing I don't like about either one is how the output drops down to about 85% as soon as you turn it on. Seems like the regulation should be better than that.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
:drool::rock:

Holy *bleep*! Now THATS' what I'm talking about! Could he do the same thing to an E1L head?

Gonna PM him now!

Last edited:

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. I have a Chop modded L1 with a TWOH and a 17mm reflector that I don't use at much as I could because I hate buying primary cells.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I wanted to run on R123 is that I can keep it always fully charged instead of having unknown quantities of light left with a primary. But using a Fenix P1 as backup battery carrier may also work.

I wasn't aware of the Milky L1, it looks very interesting, I think I need to get one :D

Sigbjoern

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Milky L1 a few days ago and to say that I'm very impressed would be an understatement. Mine has the McR-18 reflector and a TYAH emitter (very cool white on high, but very white on low and longer runtime than the U-binned emitters). Milky does very nice work and I highly recommend him!

cy

Flashaholic
My old L1 was modded simular to milky's L1, only I used a SO17 reflector that dropped right in with no mods.

improvement to surefire optics is huge!

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have run several charges (protected rcr123) thourgh my L1 with no adverse effects so far. The low is now, as expected, a lot brighter, but the hi mode is a little brighter now also. Overall I am very pleased. I am carrying and using my L1 a lot more now.